Battery Shipping USA to New Zealand

PRW

100 kW
so, I am off to NZ next week. The relocation services I am using doesn't have a clue what to do about batteries - I have 4 that I need to ship. Batteries are 18650 cells, all professionally made, no issues ever.

I have 2 ammo containers - I was planning on discharging to around 3.6v/ cell, making sure leads isolated and wrapped, wrapping in protective layers, and putting in containers.

Does anyone had experience of shipping from USA internationally - who did they use, and how did they do it?
thanks

UN3480 guidelines for hazardous goods regulate the shipment of Li batteries internationally.

Having unpacked shipments of multiple high Ah batteries from China they were nothing more than wrapped in these

F9E01630-5F66-4612-9E6C-E9D9232B75F6.jpeg

In a sturdy cardboard box.

Sell em here in the US, pickup only.

An update on this, in case anyone finds the information useful.
I ended up shipping the batteries well protected in 2 Luna ammunition containers. The shippers didn’t have a clue what to do with them - 2 days before there was a panicked email for a MSDS from the “manufacturer “. As none of them have a specific MSDS, I found a SAMSUNG 30Q MSDS on the internet https://marsen.com.au/assets/Uploads/SDI-MSDS-INR18650-30Q.pdf , and sent that off - which satisfied all the queries.

After 4 months of travel, they arrived here, all in very good shape. I charged them all to 3.7v, and they are all at basically the same charge now.

Well, at least you did not get busted for shipping them as something else than a battery. Sounds like more pain in the ass than it was worth to me though.

Last china shipped battery I got, came labeled as a power supply. It burned my house down a year later.

dogman dan said:
Well, at least you did not get busted for shipping them as something else than a battery. Sounds like more pain in the ass than it was worth to me though.

Last china shipped battery I got, came labeled as a power supply. It burned my house down a year later.
well, if I had sold them in a hurry, I would have got basically nothing for them - 2nd hand batteries don't sell quickly, if at all. It then would have cost me over $3,000 to replace, as well as import duty of 15%. Priniting out one page off the internet seemed easier!

Back