How to plan an Eboard

asaf123098

1 µW
Hi, i saw many tutorials that show how to build an e board, but i want to know gow to plan one, whats the best motor, gear ratio and vattery that i need for my use of the board.
Thanks

If you read the tutorials you will know that is not a question that can be answered.
It all depends on what you want.

I recommend a flux capacitor with at least 1.21 GW power output. It is important to hit 8.88mph for correct translation.

read other folks builds - figure out what you like first, then emulate what you want and change what you don't.

Tutorials are a great starting point as well.

I'd also make sure you set a couple key criteria for help.

1. How much do you weigh. A setup for a 45kg rider will be totally different for a 90kg rider.
2. Hills - are you planning to ride hills a lot, and how steep? Or on the flats (easiest)
3. What kind of skate do you prefer? Cruise along a trail, commute, shred at top speed, downhill?
4. What's your favorite board type you want to electrify? Stiff or flexy? Kicktail, drop deck, symmetrical, etc.

In general terms - if you are a light weight rider a single motor setup is easiest to start with. Even heavier, with higher voltage a single still works really well. And you can always add a second motor later - either dual rear, or dual diagonal depending on motor length. Adding another motor will not give you more speed, but more torque/acceleration to the same top speed. And hill climbing torque.

Get to reading and welcome. HTH - GL!

sl33py said:
I recommend a flux capacitor with at least 1.21 GW power output. It is important to hit 8.88mph for correct translation.

what is flux capacitor?

sl33py said:
1. How much do you weigh. A setup for a 45kg rider will be totally different for a 90kg rider.
2. Hills - are you planning to ride hills a lot, and how steep? Or on the flats (easiest)
3. What kind of skate do you prefer? Cruise along a trail, commute, shred at top speed, downhill?
4. What's your favorite board type you want to electrify? Stiff or flexy? Kicktail, drop deck, symmetrical, etc.

1. i weigh 80 kgs
2.i would need a skate that can go up hills, pretty steep.
3. i need a cruise along a trail + commute board.
4. ill go with symmetrical because i have one lying around.

i have a general idea in my head, i just need about 15-20 km per battery and a power to get me up hills and some speed of course :)

my main problem is the engine, battery (i want lipo i just dont know how many mah, cells, and c rate) and the correct gear ratio.
i dont want you to do research for me, but i looked and didnt succeed finding answers for my question.. Thanks.

asaf123098 said:
sl33py said:

what is flux capacitor?

Sorry was being a smartass - that's from Back to The Future (80's movie). Forget all the international folks who may not catch my jokes...

asaf123098 said:
1. i weigh 80 kgs
80kg is about the limit for a single motor setup unless you are only riding on the flats. I would still recommend you only go one motor to start, but you will not have as much acceleration or hill climbing ability. (Still a TON of fun!)

asaf123098 said:
2.i would need a skate that can go up hills, pretty steep.
How steep? for your weight and depending on % grade hills i would start with one and go dual motor later. You can always add a second dual rear (if staying below 55mm motor length usually), or dual diagonal easily. Learn with just one and you will be better prepared to go dual later.

asaf123098 said:
3. i need a cruise along a trail + commute board.
Cruising and commuting are pretty simple w/ a single motor. Your range i'll touch on in a sec.

asaf123098 said:
4. ill go with symmetrical because i have one lying around.
Which board do you have? A flexy deck or drop deck adds a lot of complexity. For your first board i would try to avoid that or be ready for more cost and effort to set it up.

asaf123098 said:
i have a general idea in my head, i just need about 15-20 km per battery and a power to get me up hills and some speed of course :)

my main problem is the engine, battery (i want lipo i just dont know how many mah, cells, and c rate) and the correct gear ratio.
i dont want you to do research for me, but i looked and didnt succeed finding answers for my question.. Thanks.

15-20km is pretty easy i think. I'll give you some ballpark numbers to figure out range in a moment.

Motor - I'd look at any of the current motors. R-Spec from Enertion, DIYes 6355 190/170kv, Ollin board co 50mm (if you have trouble clearing the 63mm motors), HK SK3 63mm motors (usually hard to fit dual rear - i'd aim for 168-192kv personally.

Batteries - I aim for a minimum of 100a capacity. So a 4s 5000mAh (5Ah) 20c battery (20c * 5Ah = 100a), So anything around that should work well. We'll talk Wh in a sec regarding range.

Gear Ratio (motor gear and wheel gear # teeth) - most kits will give you 15/36t (motor/wheel). With 83mm wheels this works pretty well. I like the new DIYes 12mm belts and aluminum wheel gear options of both 36t and 40t (better for torque or bigger wheels, or heavier riders - sacrifice some speed). 13/40t is great if you have a low kv motor and high voltage pack (8s-10s is again my preferred). If you go VESC be careful of exceeding 60k ERPM as it's known to kill DRV chips. So go lower voltage or lower kv to avoid exceeding.

Mileage - take your Wh of your pack (pack voltage * Ah = Wh). So my earlier example of a 4s 5000mAh/5Ah 20c pack in series (two for 8s) = 8s (3.7v * 8s = 29.6v). 29.6v * 5Ah = 148Wh. A good benchmark for mileage on the flats, not super heavyweight rider, and not racing is 10Ah = 1km. So 8s 5000mah = 148wh/10 = 14.8km. So get more mAh or higher voltage, or both for more Wh. Or carry a spare set of batteries and swap to double range. The same setup w/ 8000mAh would give you (8Ah * 8s/29.6v = 236.8Wh/10 = 23.6km (approx)

A lot of info - HTH and GL!

Back