la Nina rears her ugly head

I was so wiped out I slept thru it (and the dogs going crazy from it) but Raine said there was a short but very intense thunderstorm this morning just before dawn; it left just a bit of puddling around here and there; I'd guess around an eighth to quarter inch -ish from what was in a few previously-dry containers of different kinds out in the open.

http://www.prh.noaa.gov/cphc/tc_graphics/sst.php
Increasing warmer water over the Central Pacific. If it keeps moving eastward we'll hope to see El Niño return this year. :twisted:

High temps to peak on Wednesday at 107°f (down from a previously predicted high of 113°f). The good news is that risk of flash flooding is lowering.
https://www.wrh.noaa.gov/sgx/hydro/ffpd.php

Tonight
Mostly clear, with a low around 75. Southwest wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
Tuesday
Sunny and hot, with a high near 112. Light west wind becoming southwest 10 to 15 mph in the morning. Winds could gust as high as 25 mph.
Tuesday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 76. Southwest wind 5 to 10 mph becoming light and variable in the evening.
Wednesday
Sunny and hot, with a high near 112. Light and variable wind becoming southwest 10 to 15 mph in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph.
Wednesday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 76. Southwest wind 5 to 10 mph becoming light and variable in the evening.
Thursday
Sunny, with a high near 109.
Thursday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 71.
Friday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 101.
Friday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 69.
Saturday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 97.
Saturday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 69.
Sunday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 98.
Sunday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 70.
Monday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 100.

:oops:

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/west/wfo/sgx/h5-loop-vis.html
Thunderstorm building over the Santa Rosa range to the southeast today. Looks like the rain is going north/northeast towards the Palm Springs area instead of to the northwest where we live. :x
A better chance for a shower through the weekend and into next week.

Up to the hottest average temperatures now. Was still over 102F after midnight, and is even now just a hair under 100F out there.

Not long ago that was teh HIGH temperature 10 hours earlier in the day. :/

Today was just under 120F just outside my workplace in the late afternoon (and even hotter in the direct sun); the UPS guy looked about ready to pass out when he was picking up our outgoing shipment, and I barely managed to get the trash taken out while he did that, before I had to go to the restroom and take my apron and shirt off and wet myself down to cool off before I got too woozy to stand up. Still had to sit down for a bit after that to be able to continue working.

Was still over 110F a bit after sunset, around 730pm on my way home from work. Felt like I was riding thru an oven on broil high.

Was already 106F before I left for work, at 10AM.

Was only supposed to be 113F for a high today...guess they missed that by a lot.

Tomorrow is supposed to be 113F too...so it'll probbably be even hotter than today, if the trend is like usual.

Can we have the rain back, please?

Tuesday
A slight chance of showers and thunderstorms after 11am. Mostly sunny, with a high near 100.
Tuesday Night
A slight chance of showers and thunderstorms. Partly cloudy, with a low around 73.

Probably too little/too late to help the firefighters.
:twisted:

Today
A slight chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly sunny, with a high near 97. West wind around 5 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.
Tonight
A slight chance of showers and thunderstorms before 11pm. Partly cloudy, with a low around 72. Southwest wind 5 to 10 mph becoming light west in the evening. Chance of precipitation is 20%.
Monday
A slight chance of showers and thunderstorms after 11am. Mostly sunny, with a high near 98. Light southwest wind increasing to 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.

Climate change is sticking it too me here. We have much more cloud cover, a bit more total precipitation, and lack of wind, but the big problem for me is the unpredictable nature of rain timing. My first 19yrs down here were mostly the same, a nice long dry season and during rainy season here in the central valley the rain came early afternoon (just in time to prevent any blistering tropical heat), and so consistent you could almost set your watch. You could fine tune the weather to your liking simply by moving to another location 5-10 miles away.

My question now is, "where in the world has the weather now that the central valley of Costa Rica used to have, because that's where I want to move. Now that I'm so firmly settled into 2 wheel electric transport, I want predictable rain, so I'm not forced to ride in it on almost a daily basis, especially at night, as well as a nice consistent breeze.

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/west/weus/h5-loop-ft.html
La Niña Rain Gage
Nothin'/Skunked-Foggy Doggy-Play Misty-Drizzle Corn-Light Showers-Steady Soaker-Bands/Sheets-Cats & Dogs

Only missed us by an entire state. :roll:

Had a huge windstorm and thunderstorm yesterday. Power out for around 10 hours overnight, came back just before dawn.

More details here.

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=49550&p=1399618#p1399618

Coastal ocean temperature ranging from 69°f near Santa Barbara to around 76°f at San Diego could coax tropical disturbances northward in the coming weeks. :twisted:
https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/gtwo.php?basin=epac&fdays=5

No measurable precipitation here since May, and there was only 0.25" in May. The predominant weather feature is now smoke from all the huge fires burning up north. Luckily the wind is blowing it away from me most of the time but it does drift over during the evening and early morning. It must really suck to be directly down wind.

Thursday
A slight chance of showers and thunderstorms after 11am. Mostly sunny, with a high near 101. Light and variable wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.

:roll:

man_file_1058748_3.Arizona_14908939123276.jpg

(note the post was typed up about an hour ago, but due to some little pocket sized dogs that didn't like the thunder and needed hugs, didn't get posted till now. The wind is gone and the rain has tapered off to a drizzle.)

Gettin' washed away by the rain here at the moment, after being blown away by the wind just before the wall of water hit. Still flash flood warnings several miles northeast of here.

Densest part is just passing us now.

Been watching it approach the last few hours, a wall of thunderstorms across more than 3/4 of the stat from northwest to southeast corners.

Just around dusk with the sky fading all grays, the lightning and thunder was close enough to be nearly no delay, and momentarily blinding and shaking things (and Yogi was hiding, while Kirin was attached to me).

When the wind hit all the treetops just went sideways; thought I might lose the tall eucalyptus back by the power pole (or the pole or line) but it didn't happen.

Shortly after the wind, a wall of water came at faster than a good runner's speed from the north/northeast, with everything beyond it disappearing as if it weren't even there anymore. Sort of felt like a tsunami rolling in but I knew it was just a wall of rain coming down.

When it hit the northernmost shed it sounded like the roof tore off but nothing actually happened to it--it was just so much water coming down so hard and so fast that it really pounded that tin roof. Was interesting hearing the sounds from the different sheds as it came toward the house; tghe next one sounded like wooden boards being beaten with other wooden boards, ubut it's just cuz it has the layers of rubber mat, carpet, and styrofoam lids on top of the tin roof, plus the awning that's just styrofoam lids glued togetehr on a light steel frame. The next one sounded like the first one cuz it's doors were open (oops) and it has just a bare tin roof.

Then it was hitting the house a few seconds later, and I had to close the back door (that I'd been standing there watching ti all from) or have it come isnide with me....

Before the wall of rain had even reached the front yard, water was already pouring off the roof in a continuous sheet, though it was hard to tell because the rain itself was still so dense you coudln't see past the eaves.

A couple of minutes later, I coudl hear water dripping (running, actually) in the kitchen; the bags I'd tied down over the no-longer-connected exhaust vent pipe (used to be the stove exhaust before the post-fire-rebuild; they just cut it off at the cieling and left it there, but lowered the top of the external part so now water splashes into it in heavy rains) on the roof must have come off or torn. Have to go up and fix that after the rain is over. (so I don't slip off).

When this passed,

This Afternoon
A slight chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly sunny, with a high near 99. West wind around 5 mph becoming calm. Chance of precipitation is 20%.
Tonight
A slight chance of showers and thunderstorms before 11pm. Patchy smoke. Partly cloudy, with a low around 72. Southwest wind 5 to 10 mph becoming light and variable in the evening. Chance of precipitation is 20%.
Friday
A slight chance of showers and thunderstorms after 11am. Patchy smoke before 11am. Mostly sunny, with a high near 91. Light south wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.

Thunderstorms are unpredictable, unlike the weather along the coast. We get a little cooler, some from the shade of the massive smoke cloud of the Holy Fire which doubled in size overnight. :twisted:

Thunderstorms evaporate west of the San Andreas Fault.
http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/west/wfo/sgx/h5-loop-vis.html
La Niña Rain Gage
Nothin'/Skunked-Foggy Doggy-Play Misty-Drizzle Corn-Light Showers-Steady Soaker-Bands/Sheets-Cats & Dogs

Minnesota, 7-10 90F+ days, average more than doubled this year! Thank goodness there's no climate change!

Back