Trio Cargo e-bike mid drive

yabert

100 mW
Hi
I have a regular Trio Cargo bike (like first pic below, but white and with a 3 speeds gear hub). I would like to add a Bafang BBS02 on it, but like you can see, the bottom bracket is circled by aluminum tubes.
I find a 3D model online of the Bafang motor. I don't know if it's accurate, but if yes, the motor don't fit at any place (pic-2-3-4).
I know some cargo bike have this motor like Larry vs. Harry Bullitt, but is some one know if it can fit on a Trio Cargo?
If no, is someone know if the bafang motor can be modify a bit to help the fit?

As battery I plan to try to build a 52V 15Ah battery out of a 22V 45Ah battery module from a gen1 Chevy Volt.
So I will have to cut busbars and separate the groups of 3P cells.
Seem like a bit of trouble, but hey, this battery is almost free and super powerful!

Thanks

Attachments

• Trio cargo.JPG
    Trio cargo.JPG
    24.5 KB · Views: 1,396
  • bafang trio-1.JPG
    bafang trio-1.JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 1,396
  • bafang trio-2.JPG
    bafang trio-2.JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 1,396
  • bafang trio-3.JPG
    bafang trio-3.JPG
    35.9 KB · Views: 1,396
Humm! After looking more and more at bafang pictures it seem like this motor will not fit in my frame except if I do important modifications to aluminum tube.
What about the compact TONGSHENG TSDZ2 for a cargo bike?
This motor is quite small. I don't find 3D model, but it look like I will only need to shave a bit of aluminum tube to fit it (red line on pic).

The big downside for me with this motor is the lower power and the fact it can't work with a 14S battery. I can build 12S battery, but I would like to have a 14S batt to match the voltage of other stuff I use.

Any advice?

Attachments

• TONGSHENG TSDZ2.jpg
    TONGSHENG TSDZ2.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 1,332
use different bike

and bbshd

I'd venture that your best (meaning, easiest to install without modifying the trike) option to be able to use a middrive that goes thru your gears, on that trike, is to setup a StokeMonkey style drive in the frame in front of your cranks, which drives the left crank (you'd replace yours with a stoker left crank from a tandem), and thus can use all the gears of the trike.

Grin Tech http://ebikes.ca may still have some of their SM stuff in stock, but I don't think they have any complete systems left.
https://ebikes.ca/shop/electric-bicycle-parts/stokemonkey-parts.html

[/quote]
kcuf said:
use different bike
Well... Strange how like some people show their high intelligence in public.

amberwolf said:
I'd venture that your best (meaning, easiest to install without modifying the trike) option to be able to use a middrive that goes thru your gears, on that trike, is to setup a StokeMonkey style drive in the frame in front of your cranks
Right. Not a bad idea, but it remove the fact that a mid drive is nicely design with integrated controller, few wires and so.
In similar case, a hub motor with external controller and many wires seem an easier way to go.

Really, I'm looking at a 3D model of the TSDZ2 to see if it can pass on the frame if I cut it a bit like it seem to work with the BBS02 (see pics) and know more about the rear fixation bolt.
Or, any advice to use or not use the TSDZ2 on a cargo bike. We prefer the torque sensor of this motor, but the BBS02 is higher power and 14S compatible, so I hesitate between both.

Attachments

• BBS02 with frame mod.JPG
    BBS02 with frame mod.JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 1,274
  • TONGSHENG TSDZ2 3d.JPG
    TONGSHENG TSDZ2 3d.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 1,274
After looking more and more at the tsdz2, it seem the BB and the motor are really close together.
For the BBS02 I found 13mm between BB output and motor (pic) or 29.5mm between BB center and motor.

Do anybody have those dimensions for the tsdz2 motor (or one of the red arrow)? I'm fear those dimensions are smaller compare to the BBS02.

Attachments

• BBS02 motor gap.JPG
    BBS02 motor gap.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 1,259
  • TONGSHENG TSDZ2 distance.JPG
    TONGSHENG TSDZ2 distance.JPG
    88.2 KB · Views: 1,259
yabert said:
Right. Not a bad idea, but it remove the fact that a mid drive is nicely design with integrated controller, few wires and so.
In similar case, a hub motor with external controller and many wires seem an easier way to go.
The SM style drive is a little less "compact", and more DIY, but it also gives you the option to customize any part of it you want, which is difficult or impossible with the single-unit middrives.

FWIW, a hubmotor in the wheel has several disadvantages (though some advantages), including making the wheel weaker, being unable to gear the motor up or down for varying riding conditions / terrain (so you don't get the best performance, and it takes more power to do the same things that could be done with a middrive-thru-the-gears), and it's less easy to work on the wheel if you need to do tire/tube repairs roadside. A hubmotor also has a different axle than a regular wheel, and applies torque to the frame / dropouts which a regular wheel does not (though an IGH-hub wheel does, it's done thru a well-developed torque arm/etc that comes with and fits perfectly the IGH axle; the same isn't true of any of the common hubmotors--the torque arms are all separate and not made specifically for that exact axle, and axles do vary (though they shouldn't) even within the same brand/model.

I've done my own middrives, both successful and not, and my own hubmotor-driven bikes/trikes (successful and not), and for this type of application, I personally would now not put the motors in the wheels anymore (despite the simplicity of the setup, I've just had too many problems directly related to doing that). My new trike (design in progress) will be driving the wheels via chain(s) from the motor(s) one way or another, which makes the wheel itself separate, stronger, easier to deal with problems roadside, etc.

So, up to you, and depends on your specific needs and limitations which works better for you. :)

Or, any advice to use or not use the TSDZ2 on a cargo bike. We prefer the torque sensor of this motor, but the BBS02 is higher power and 14S compatible, so I hesitate between both.
I don't know enough about either to know what it would take to fit them on that particular bike, but if you want a torque sensing BB, you *can* use one with the hubmotor-in-wheel drives. I am not sure that you could make one work with an SM style drive (because it passes power thru the BB and so would be positive feedback).

yabert said:
After looking more and more at the tsdz2, it seem the BB and the motor are really close together.

Don't mess with the TSDZ2; it's notoriously unreliable, and the crank spindle breaks off.

And so hard to get parts for when it goes down.

Are you actually planning on carrying cargo, and using it on a regular basis where reliability is important?
If so, I would really lean towards wheel motor. The extra loads in the chain and cassette will eat them up quickly. Most of my customers that got a mid drive are shocked by how fast they're going thru parts, and that's separate from the motor itself failing.

Where crank drive really shines is off road, where the centralized weight and light motor makes the handling better, like in jumps.
Plus you can use modern mountain bike stuff like thru axle, and change flats easier.

But for utility bike that keeps both wheels on the ground all the time, it's really hard to beat the simplicity and reliability of hub motor.
So much easier to find parts of there's a failure also, and if the chain somehow broke, you can still motor home, which can happen more with mid drive. You can also use regen braking, which you can't with mid.

Great looking bike btw!

Voltron said:
Are you actually planning on carrying cargo, and using it on a regular basis where reliability is important?
If so, I would really lean towards wheel motor. The extra loads in the chain and cassette will eat them up quickly. Most of my customers that got a mid drive are shocked by how fast they're going thru parts, and that's separate from the motor itself failing.

That's why I converted my cargo bike from BBS02 to front hub motor. I haven't regretted it at all.

Holy crap!!!
I google: tsdz2 crank spindle breaks off

What a bad engineered shaft! :shock: :shock: :shock:
Thanks. I'm happy to learn this before ordering it. It can not be a dangerous problem for my cargo bike, but what about this motor on my mountain bike. Never ever with this shaft :confused:

Well, as I really dislike external controller and/or huge diameter hub motor, it seem the BBS02 is the only choice for my modest power and speed need.

Just before you totally go down the crank drive path, your exterior controller could be as small, powerful and cool looking as this... (Courtesy of the website sponsor Justin LE!)
controllerinhand.jpgPhaserunner_Jack_Button.jpg

If you run rear rack with side bags, that does a lot to hide a motor.

yabert said:
Well, as I really dislike external controller and/or huge diameter hub motor, it seem the BBS02 is the only choice for my modest power and speed need.

Dislike it if you want, but a separate controller is easier and cheaper if you need to replace it (or want to upgrade it). Your bike has a great low-key place to mount one, underneath the floor of the cargo bay.

If it were my bike? I'd use a front hub motor-- direct drive if I wanted to use it all the time, geared with a one-way clutch if I wanted to use it only sometimes. BBS02 is entertaining to ride, and with careful use of gears it gives performance out of proportion to its power. But it has many points of failure, and it chews through drivetrain parts like they're Girl Scout cookies. I think it's a good choice for a play bike but not so much for a work bike.

How much power are you looking to run? IGHs really can't take a lot of torque and a 3spd won't have that much range to let you meaningfully pedal at higher speed.

Worrying about an external controller while running a mashup of EV cells also seems at cross purposes.

What I dislike is not the external controllers, it's the large quantity of loose wires coming with. And to add crank detection, you have to a have more wires and stuff to integrate.

Mashup battery? Well, I don't see any problem with this clean and powerful Chevrolet Volt battery with only 2 wires. Especially after fit a cover over it.
I'm ok with 500-750w of extra power and a top speed of 30-35 kmh. It's a bike to move kids, food and some other stuff, not a bike to do delivery as job.
Few years ago I tried a 10 kW hub e-Bike and it's was a lot of fun, but it's not the kind of performance I'm looking for this cargo.

What are the suggestions for hub motor kit with PAS at the similar price than a BBS02?

Well, the only wires you have to connect to anything are throttle, battery, and motor. PAS if you want it. There are more stray cables than that dangling from BBS02/BBSHD and its harness, and they're all out in plain view rather than tucked away underneath.

I have three BBSHD's. I like them a lot. But I have also burned up three stock internal controllers and I do not ride hard at all. One of them was water ingress. I have also melted the internal Anderson connectors between the controllers and the motor. I'm unhappy with that design. It is also very unpleasant to put back together in that tight space. Next time one burns out, I will go with an external controller. I don't know if the controllers in the 02's are more reliable.

This may not be relevant but on my LWB recumbent, which is heavy and long like your Trio, I am very happy with the combo I have. I have an old cyclone 500w in-line middrive and a MAC 5t (fast winding) in the front wheel. The midrive, using the bike's gears, accelerates well from a standstill but I usually cruise at 25-30mph with the Mac, with the cyclone helping on the hills. I have also been very grateful for two different systems when one give out (usually a loose connection somewhere due to my cheezy DIYing.)

Here is my 14S 15ah chevy Volt battery.
I'm pleased with the result. Considering those cells are directly coming from a decade ago, the weight and the volume are a bit high for this 0.777 kWh batt.
But I like it specially for the fact it cost me around 100$.

If someone ask itself if it's complex, long and dangerous to do a similar battery, the answers are: yes, yes and of course :wink:

Attachments

• 20210302_200357.jpg
    20210302_200357.jpg
    259.3 KB · Views: 853
  • 20210302_200413.jpg
    20210302_200413.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 853
Another alternative to avoid an external controller is a hub motor that has the controller built in it. The wiring harness has all those extra leads that you dislike but you can 'prune' the ones you do not want.

https://www.goldenmotor.com/ (China)
or
https://www.goldenmotor.ca/ (Canada)

Still some wires management to do, but the rough result is there.
Some tests show 40-42 km/h top speed at cold temperature (-10°C) on flat/no pedaling and without load in the cargo.
So I expect a bit more top speed during summer, but anyway it will be perfect for cruising around at 30-35 km/h with pedaling.

I have a large 1/8 thick 22 tooth rear sprocket on the gearhub so I expect the sprocket and the chain to last a bit more than with regular rear cassette sprockets.

Attachments

• 20210307_120828.jpg
    20210307_120828.jpg
    389.7 KB · Views: 747
Looks great!

For a second there, against the white of the snow, I was wondering if you had cut out the lower tube on the frame for battery space!😲🤣

I keep going back trying to decide if that is a bathtub up front in the cargo area.
Begs the question .... Just what kind of cargo are planning to carry. :)

It's a wooden "box" (cant' quite tell if it's plywood, but expect so).

Myself, I once thought about using my (unfinished) Barkfiets design (formerly Loooooooongbike) to carry tubs and washing supplies for a mobile dog grooming service. :lol:

amberwolf said:
FWIW, a hubmotor in the wheel has several disadvantages (though some advantages), including making the wheel weaker

I haven't seen this proposed before and it runs counter to conventional wisdom in non-motor wheels, such that wide and tall spoke flanges result in a stronger wheel than narrow and low flanges. Hubmotor flanges aren't especially wide, but they sure are tall. They're also built with more and thicker spokes. Longer spokes have proportionately longer elastic and plastic deformation, but that's insignificant compared to geometry and spoke count and gauge.
Can you explain?

fatty said:
amberwolf said:
FWIW, a hubmotor in the wheel has several disadvantages (though some advantages), including making the wheel weaker

I haven't seen this proposed before and it runs counter to conventional wisdom in non-motor wheels, such that wide and tall spoke flanges result in a stronger wheel than narrow and low flanges. Hubmotor flanges aren't especially wide, but they sure are tall. They're also built with more and thicker spokes. Longer spokes have proportionately longer elastic and plastic deformation, but that's insignificant compared to geometry and spoke count and gauge.
Can you explain?
I probably should specify "OEM hubmotor wheels" because those are not usually built correctly or with parts that should be used together, but even well-built hubmotor wheels can be weaker than the same wheel with a regular-sized hub in it. And probably should also specify that the larger diameter the hub is, the more the problems tend to stand out; the closer the hub is to the more typical size used, the less the problems tend to crop up.

As far as the spokes go, AFAICT it depends on the resulting bracing angle of the spokes, and the usage of the wheel. If it's a wheel that won't see much sideloading (like most bicycle wheels, because you lean in turns) then even that may not make much difference. If it's a trike, with no leaning mechanism, the angle may make a significant difference to how strong the wheel is, because every turn will create significant sideloading from the tire to the rim across the spokes to the hub, on all three wheels. (I ran into this problem on both of my trike builds so far, even with regular bike wheels, and with all of my trailers, but almost never with any of my bikes).

The length of the spokes makes some difference too, as does the spoke thickness and rim type (though making sure each of those is appropriately matched is much more important).

If you look at the angle the spokes are at, when looking at the wheel "edge on" like in the ebikes.ca spoke calculator, you may find a smaller bracing angle for a hubmotor vs a regular bicycle hub. Depends on the specific motor and the specific bike hub and the overall wheel size. The wider the spacing of the nipple hole rows is on the rim (like fatbike rims especially), the worse this problem will be--the hubmotor flanges can actually be so close to the rim and so close together that the spokes may actually have to be laced from "drive side" at the hub to "brake side" at the rim in order to get any significant bracing angle. :shock:

Another problem with spoke angles is that quite a few hubmotor wheels don't have sufficient space between the rim and hub flange for the spokes to angle into the nipples without bending at the nipple entrance, or even curving along their length for some of the very thick spokes. That curve, especially, is a problem, because a curve on a spoke can't have the same tension a straight spoke would, and the flexing back and forth this will cause can break the spoke at the nipple entrance (or the elbow but usually at the nipple entrance, or sometimes the nipple hole in the rim itself will crack if it's not eyeletted). A few years ago, based on Justin_LE's advice, I did an experimental wheel build that actually used spokes deliberately bent at an angle before they reached the threads, for a large-diameter hubmotor on a 20" rim for CrazyBike2, on one side of the wheel, The other side was laced with straight spokes. The resulting flexing of those bent spokes resulted in breakages on that side, but not on the straight ones.

But the bend at the nipple can be a problem, too, especially with the typically-cheaper spokes OEMs use on their wheels (some of which are pretty crappy), but even with good brands of spokes (Sapim, etc) with the right gauge for the rim, etc., you can still have breakage over time from the flexing. If you use rims built like motorcycle rims, with angled-hole dimples for the nipples to seat in, then the spokes will be straight and can be correctly tensioned and stay that way.

As for more spokes on hubmotor wheels, that's not necessarily true. There are plenty of bicycles using 36-spoke wheels. Almost every one I have ever owned, which is more than I can remember, have been 36-spoke wheels. A few wheels I've had and used (not on the bikes they came from :lol: ) were 48 spoke, and only one bike I have uses wheels with less than 36 (I think it's 32, but I can't remember ATM). All of those I listed are plain bicycle wheels. Many hubmotors use 36 spokes, but some do use less, or more.

Also, just having thicker spokes is not better. The wheel must have the correct rim for those thicker spokes, or they cannot be tensioned correctly and the wheel then develops problems with nipples loosening and/or spokes breaking at the elbow. If they are tensioned correctly and the rim isn't strong enough for that, then the rim will crack or deform at the nipple holes, and then the tension is lost and the other problems can develop (or worse). I've had all of those problems (even on my "normal" ebikes :lol: ) with various OEM hubmotor wheels using too-thick spokes for the rims they're built with. There's pics in some of my build and other threads showing some of the cracked-nipple-hole rims, broken nipples, broken spokes, etc., if you're curious.

If you use rims capable of handling the tension of a thicker spoke, then you can make even stronger wheels with those...but that's not typically how hubmotor wheels get built. :( For some reason a lot of people get it into their head that thicker is *always* better, but don't know how the wheel itself "works", and end up with wheels that fall apart because of damaged rims from too high a tension on their nipple holes.

There are some things about spoked wheels that run counter to my intuition about how I expect them to work.... But experience has shown me that, for whatever reason, they do end up working that way.

Back