Volt crash test fires?

dogman dan

1 PW
There you have it. fires caused by coolant leaks causing short circuits. Shorts cause fires with any chemistry.

Not a lithuim chemistry problem. Just a engineering problem.

Lol, now that's ironic, coolant causing a fire.

No fuses? Or did the engineers actually decide to put a reservoir right next to battery packs? Are they not properly waterproofed? WTF, screams newb to me. That's worse than one of us keeping a big bottle of water in the same pack as our Lipo's, kind of common sense no? Maybe they should just stick to ICE.

stewrobb said:
Lol, now that's ironic, coolant causing a fire.

No fuses? Or did the engineers actually decide to put a reservoir right next to battery packs? Are they not properly waterproofed? WTF, screams newb to me. That's worse than one of us keeping a big bottle of water in the same pack as our Lipo's, kind of common sense no? Maybe they should just stick to ICE.

The battery is water cooled. It has coolant channels flowing coolant actively all through it.

Ahhh, fair enough, makes sense. That's pretty sweet actually, not the best for a consumer vehicle I guess (especially in the hands of Toronto drivers :D ), definitely hard to engineer that to a highly safe standard. Guess I can't bash their engineering on that one. Better placement is probably key, but hard on a vehicle like that. No matter where it is sooner or later I'm sure somebody will be able to blow it up :roll:. I wonder if a gel type coolant would be better, would definitely complicate the pump system though. I should probably read before I post eh :wink:. Thanks LFP,

Stew

Thankfully most vehicles on the road use highly stable inflammable gasoline. Makes me feel much safer knowing my car can't catch on fire like these scary electric cars.

Pure water isn't very conductive at all...but once it gets contaminants (like minerals and salts) in it, it can be very conductive. (and it dissolves thing so easily it usually has lots of contaminants)

That said, is there a post missing from the start of this thread or something? Because Dogman's post looks like a reply to something, and not an OP.... :?

Could this be what's really going on with the Volt?

A special interest (with lots of money) owns controlling interest of GM but lets it fail anyway because of the overwhelming pension costs of autoworkers, medical cost, etc. Obama bails out GM with a few stipulations like building and selling an electric car, etc. The electric car turns special interest's stomach and special interest puts an ice in the electric car anyway and charges to much for it ($40k). Electric car somehow burns up in a parking lot with no one around it and special interest directs the press to report it widely thereby planting a few seeds of doubt in any would be buyer's mind. Special interest reports low interest and low sales and swaps the electric car for an ice mobile while wearing large grins. The plot get uncovered somehow and the movie "Who Killed the Electric Car Again" comes out.

Of course, I could be all wrong on this. I don't know if electrics would ever make reliable transportation anyway. :roll:

edcastrovalley said:

A special interest (with lots of money) owns controlling interest of GM but lets it fail anyway because of the overwhelming pension costs of autoworkers, medical cost, etc. Obama bails out GM with a few stipulations like building and selling an electric car, etc. The electric car turns special interest's stomach and special interest puts an ice in the electric car anyway and charges to much for it ($40k). Electric car somehow burns up in a parking lot with no one around it and special interest directs the press to report it widely thereby planting a few seeds of doubt in any would be buyer's mind. Special interest reports low interest and low sales and swaps the electric car for an ice mobile while wearing large grins. The plot get uncovered somehow and the movie "Who Killed the Electric Car Again" comes out.

Of course, I could be all wrong on this. I don't know if electrics would ever make reliable transportation anyway. :roll:

Tinfoil hat anyone.... Sadly I'm starting to make my own :( Some things just aren't adding up the more I read about electric vehicles and their past. Way too much weirdness to simply be called coincidence with EVs.

edcastrovalley said:

I do not disagree with this.

Back