Nose and Tail "bumpers" with 120 lumen LED lights! (concept)

sl33py

10 kW
Just a little project i had in my head and wanted to share.

Here's the idea - a simple flat protector for the nose and tail that incorporates a super small but bright LED.

I saw the Blitzu "Cyclops" bike lights on Amazon and grabbed the red taillight.

I was thinking a very simple wood or CF plate that mounts on top of your trucks (uses your existing or slightly longer bolts). Imagining a thin 1/4 piece of wood or maybe 3mm CF plate.

Did a quick sketch after measuring how far out from the back bolt heads.
20150923_221019.jpg

20150923_221721.jpg

20150923_222855.jpg

I wish i had some better cardboard or heavy card stock to use as a template... but this was what i had handy for now:
20150923_223325.jpg

20150923_223233.jpg

Thinking having it mounted slightly behind the lip underneath will both protect the light if it does hit something, as well as shield it a bit so it's just going forward and down instead of up into my eyes. Adding a small strip of edge trim or something like this:
$_57.JPG

extra bit of protection.

Mounting the light to the plate... I have the mount it comes with obviously and can sacrifice it, but not 100% certain how to secure it. Was thinking i might finally try to get some practice with 3d printing software - this should be about as simple as it gets - square slot to fit. Add in two bolts through the sides of it to secure below the plate? Simple (in theory).

I might try to figure out a way to make it more of a quick swap connector... Or could hollow out the center channel like an open drop through deck and slide onto the truck from below and re-secure just the bolts to hold it? Tons of ways to do it.

Appreciate input on what you'd do and feel free to make one if you like the idea!! If i get any 3d printing files sorted out i'll share them for anyone else who wants to do this.

What do you all think? 120 lumens front and rear while also giving a bumper?

Maybe make a silicon enclosure and as okp say with a flat mold as a riser.

okp said:
I would have put some LEDS lights on a riser which will avoid having something that goes outside the deck and still be stealth.

I have those. They are not that bright... And a total PITA to get to the batteries.

In comparison these are rechargeable via micro USB and *significantly* brighter. I could mount them below the deck and tighter to the trucks for a lower profile/more stealth. Even behind and below the bottom front truck (in white LED) would give tons of illumination and be nearly invisible unless on.

I hope i'll have my new Marbel board tomorrow and just thinking bumpers might not be bad to have. Something i can swap to any board i ride would be a bonus!

Sweet setup. That looks good. Definitely, need some nice lights to be noticeable.

This one's pretty nice and small yet pretty bright. You could put this on your helmet or probably even underneath the deck.

51_T2_Opbn_XAL.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Serfas-TL-HLMT-Helmet-Safety-Light/dp/B00FVT5HSU/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1443078938&sr=8-9&keywords=helmet+light

They also got light up risers and the boardblazers.

Thanks Torque. I'm pretty set on a rechargeable light(s). The one you linked is powered by 2032's.

I have a good belt light for me already -
51rFUEX0RhL.jpg

Cygolite Hotshot 2-Watt USB Rechargeable Taillight

I have a set of the light up risers. white in front red in rear - pretty decent, but not much output and while it does increase visibility (my goal) it's also replaceable batteries and a PITA to take your trucks off to get the riser apart to do so.

So that's what got me thinking of these. Was thinking last night some more and really want it to be easily mounted (pull of to charge - leave off until going for a night ride).

This isn't about underglow or custom lights on my board - it's really a headlight and tail light for seeing as i skate at night and folks seeing me if i'm on the road (not usually on the street at night but still good to be seen if crossing or section without sidewalks).

I'll swap out what i can. Not too stressed as i know most of what we get is made in China anyway. with good QC they can make it as good as we can. I was thinking of swapping the front at least for another Caliber 50 with a bit of color... We'll see.

sometime 2-6p today it should show up. I might have to go home and work from home this afternoon! I only have a little time tonight (volleyball game at 830p) so might end up charging it and ride tomorrow (day off).

will start it's own thread and let you know what i think!

I have been watching this guys youtube blog about his Marbel quality issues.

Maybe they are ironing that out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdKIOmSgA3E

Just recently added hardwired blue led strips to my board. Will be adding hardwired front light soon. Haven't found anything I like so far. I recommend hard wired for lighting. On my first eboard, I had battery bike lights on there that would constantly go dim or go out from unsmooth pavement. On this board, my blue strip led lighting is actually something I found at O'reilys. It uses 3m tape and is very flexible. The lights are wired to a separate switch.
The bumper guards are custom made using a white kitchen cutting board. The only thing I'd change is making the back one straight instead of curved. Having a straight edge, I can lean the board up on something and the board wont fall down.

Attachments

• GEDC0084 (640x428).jpg
    GEDC0084 (640x428).jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 1,663
I was just thinking, is there anything like an Ubec we could use to powered leds directly from our battery pack?

I'd test to see if some 3528 SMD LED strips will go down to 9v. I know i've seen some BEC's that will output 9v. At least that's the highest i've seen.

The SMD LED strips i've seen say they are dimmable (which is usually voltage controlled) so i'm guessing they can be. I have several colors and both the 3528 and 5050 at home (quadcopter projects) I'll hook one up to my lab power supply and test.

Found this at superbrightleds.com:
https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/flexible-strips-and-bars/led-tube-lights-super-flexible-led-rope-lights/2959/
shows voltage input 9-14.2v

I'm not looking for accent lights but it's good to have options.

sl33py said:
I'd test to see if some 3528 SMD LED strips will go down to 9v. I know i've seen some BEC's that will output 9v. At least that's the highest i've seen.

I have a 12v BEC. I think I found it on eBay. Still have yet to use it. I run a separate 3s 1000mah lipo battery and 3d printed enclosure for my head light and under led's.

I like how you think Astilwell! exactly my thoughts. headlight = good!

I have a usb rechargeable headlamp as well i will try. when i saw the super low profile tail light i figured it was worth a shot. I don't want anything permanently mounted on teh board daily, but for the occasional night ride i really like the idea of more light in front of me and some red light behind me for vehicles (bikes, cars, etc.).

Back