"Fireproof" blanket?

kingjamez

100 W
Does anyone know of a good source for the material that Hobbyking / other sell for their fire-retardant bags? They are mostly fiberglass I think, but look like they have some additional coating to improve their fire-retardant nature.

I'm wanting to charge my bike at public charging stations. Dogman Dan's fire with a battery with a BMS on it makes me want to put in some additional safeties while charging in public. It'd be nice to have a cover for the bike to reduce the effect if a fire were to start.

-Jim

Answered my own question.

I just bought an 18oz Silica Welding Blanket. I found a 6'x6' blanket for less than $50.00 that I'll shape to make a custom made cover for the body of my bike.

-Jim

I would think a 100% thick natural wool blanket would work. I remember seeing a fire drill a few years ago, where they lit a deep fryer on fire. Water was a disaster, but a thick heavy 100% wool blanket took care of the fire. I guess wool is natural flame retarded to a certain point.

As for Lipo and li ion the main problem is that as cells burns after ie thermal runaway, they fire in the cells supply O2. But if it is all about a way to handle a pack in case of fire I would think wool would enable you to fling the battery out the door/window.

I wouldn't feel safe by any fireproof blanket, as the oxygen will keep fire going no matter what blanket you add. The only thing I would possible use blanket to was to rapidly wrap pack in blanket and get the whole plasmaball outside.

So in short, never charge cells without watching. Murphy is everywhere, lurking for worst possible outcome at worst possible timing.

A bike that I have to watch the entire time it's charging isn't worth anything to me. If I did that with my car, I'd go back to gas.

To that end, I'm going to build the battery as safely as possible and then use this blanket as an extra layer of insurance when I'm charging unattended.

I got the blanket in a couple of days ago. It "feels" like it will do an excellent job of containing a fire within itself. I'm not trying to prevent a fire, that's what the BMS is for. I'm trying to limit any damage if a fire occurs. I think making a "shirt" for the EEB bike that will go around the frame while charging will accomplish this goal.

I've got a few lipo cells and some extra blanket. I intend to do a test to see how it works.

-Jim

If the battery goes off, its just going to burn. The key thing is not parking it 3 inches from a motorcycle full of gas like I did.

Its called "fire blanket", are really sheep. its usually white instead of silver. You find them where you buy fire extinguisher. If you need a blanket for a whole bike you might need two. You can attach them with pop rivets.

81cAkGaNWdL._SL1500_.jpg

Definitely not going to stop a lipo fire, but maybe it would help the fire from spreading to its surroundings?

Look at the specs for the Hansway carbon fiber welding blankets - good for up to 1800 degrees.

There's a few smaller sizes but here's the big one:

https://www.amazon.com/thickness-Welding-Protective-Blanket-Plumbing/dp/B072HZRHBG/ref=sr_1_7?crid=2JTW7RJ86LLXY&dchild=1&keywords=hansway+high+temp+welding+blanket&qid=1609608834&sprefix=hansway%2Caps%2C305&sr=8-7

Back