100 Mile Club

liveforphysics said:
You cruise at 15watt-hours per mile? Cause that's just a relatively tiny 1.5kw-hr pack to be doing 100miles on.

On page 146 of Electric Bicycles A Guide to Design and Use it claims typically an electric bicycle will use about 10 Wh for each kilometer traveled with a rider mass of about 80 kg.

Lots of test results in that book and a very good read.

It can help you understand.

http://www.amazon.com/Electric-Bicycles-Design-Electronics-Technology/dp/0471674192

miniebiker said:
liveforphysics said:
You cruise at 15watt-hours per mile? Cause that's just a relatively tiny 1.5kw-hr pack to be doing 100miles on.

On page 146 of Electric Bicycles A Guide to Design and Use it claims typically an electric bicycle will use about 10 Wh for each kilometer traveled with a rider mass of about 80 kg.

Lots of test results in that book and a very good read.

It can help you understand.

http://www.amazon.com/Electric-Bicycles-Design-Electronics-Technology/dp/0471674192

My bikes run higher efficiency motor/controller/batteries setups than anyone else on this board that I can think of off the top of my head, possible exception of Recompense and a couple other RC builds that should be close.

I just can't cruise under 50-60mph if I'm going somewhere because it's too painfully dull. lol :)
Racing full-out on a road course, I burn roughly 300watt-hours per mile. :) Ripping around town, it's typically about 100watt-hours per mile.

DrkAngel said:
Combine this with your propensity towards over-amping your motor, (wastes a horrific percentage of electricity) ...
and it becomes obvious that you must be getting a pitiful m/kwh, (miles per kilowatt hour)

It's funny you should mention this, as I think I'm the single member here doing Ebike development with a professional motorcycle chassis dyno and instrumentation to actually plot and evaluate my drive system efficiency from battery to tire. Peak system efficiency happened at over 8kw input power for the Agni bike (which had a TOTAL system efficiency of over 90%!!!), and peaks around 4.5kw input for the brushless bike I'm currently running. The hubmotor bikes efficiency continued to climb past 2kw input power for the custom wound HX35 hubmotor build, and then very slowly crept down until around 7kw where it started to fall sharply on its face as it reached saturation.

The saturation was what helped make this awesome video where we fed it 40kw (for fun, knowing it would be a ~32kw heater) after it stopped making a bit more power past ~8kw input. lol

[youtube]e03rMDmJzLE[/youtube]

Cool stuff !

The book I pointed you to was to help you understand how DA gets the results he does.

I am an older person that rode fast motorcycles for many years and lived to tell and I don't feel the need to go so fast anymore. :)

20mph or so on a bicycle is fast enough for me ! :)

I have plenty of memories of going fast on motorcycles. One involves high speed wheel wobble ! :)

liveforphysics said:
I just can't cruise under 50-60mph if I'm going somewhere because it's too painfully dull. lol :)
Racing full-out on a road course, I burn roughly 300watt-hours per mile. :) Ripping around town, it's typically about 100watt-hours per mile.
Nothing wrong with speed ...
But my whole purpose is to save energy!

I'm merely learning with my eBike builds.
At present they satisfy my daily needs.

However ... An eMotorcycle is my next project.
I'd rather underpower a motorcycle ... than overpower an eBike ... Much safer!
I already have 16kwh of lipo cells acquired, including 4kwh of SONY.
Which is my next logical step towards ...

My eCar ...

Not what you were asking for, but anyone got better than 10,000 miles or am I the forum distance champion?

:arrow: A year and a half of about 25 miles a day (no car!)
:arrow: All mileage on a 48v20ah ping
:arrow: Daily rider - but across three bike builds, and three separate 9c motors. All of which are still in good shape.
:arrow: Total Ah is blocked out because I didn't reset it after I had the CA glitch (several times) - cycles and mileage also approximate, but pretty close.

Anyone wanna buy me a drink in dfw tomorrow when I hit 10,000 miles? 8)

Not really..i think he did it on an e-motorcycle.

I am not sure if anyone has done it on a bicycle...you should go over to that thread and claim first one to do 10,000 miles on an ebike.

Who cares about 10k on a e-motorcycle.

I could buy a nissan leaf and log 10,000 miles in 6 months. :mrgreen:

haha badass. I only have about 2k on mine which is pathetic. Hopefully with a long distance record attempt I can rack a few more on :D

auraslip said:
Not what you were asking for, but anyone got better than 10,000 miles or am I the forum distance champion?

I passed 10,000 miles, earlier, towards Spring.
Took almost 3 years.
On 3, variously modified EZips.

Yes, all 3 are still fully functional, including my Winter - Mudder.
Winter Mudder is a Mountain Trailz, modded to 36v, plus, a pair of homemade studded tires.
Done me good, through 2 Winters, in upstate New York USA.

Started playing with my Ezip "stepthrough", this Summer ... put another 1000 miles on that already.
It really helps pile on the miles when you can get 30-40 miles per charge!

liveforphysics said:
Ripping around town, it's typically about 100watt-hours per mile.
Which would be 10 m/kwh ... (miles per kilowatt hour)

The 2012 Ford Focus gets - 4.3 m/kwh
BMW Mini E gets - 4.6 m/kwh
Nissan LEAF gets - 4.2 m/kwh

I seems obvious, it, or you, are not very efficient, if your bike only gets about 2x the m/kwh, of a car.

Efficiency is as much a function of the operator, as of the vehicle.

Of course, my observations are skewed by my frugal spirit.

DrkAngel said:
liveforphysics said:

I seems obvious, it, or you, are not very efficient, if your bike only gets about 1/2 the m/kwh, of a car.

Efficiency is as much a function of the vehicle, as of the operator.

100wh/mi means using an average ~6kw to average ~60mph

When I ride the TTXGP bike, I use about 375wh/mi.

Amazingly, lightning motors uses about 0.8kw-hr/mi. Thats flying!

All of these machines have better pack-to-wheel energy efficiency than your watt sipping scooter. The difference is, they perform work on moving air at a rate a couple orders of magnitude higher than you do when you crawl along at a snails pace. :)

liveforphysics said:
DrkAngel said:
liveforphysics said:

I seems obvious, it, or you, are not very efficient, if your bike only gets about 2x the m/kwh, of a car.

100wh/mi means using an average ~6kw to average ~60mph - (10 m/kwh)

When I ride the TTXGP bike, I use about 375wh/mi. - (2.66 m/kwh)

Amazingly, lightning motors uses about 0.8kw-hr/mi. - (1.2 m/kwh) Thats flying!
Ouch! 1.2 m/kwh ... that is a higher energy cost than a gas guzzling car!!!
file.php

Attachments

• bliss.gif
    bliss.gif
    2.6 KB · Views: 2,021
  • zip.gif
    zip.gif
    3.4 KB · Views: 2,021
DrkAngel said:
liveforphysics said:

I seems obvious, it, or you, are not very efficient, if your bike only gets about 1/2 the m/kwh, of a car.

Efficiency is as much a function of the vehicle, as of the operator.

I think LFP's observations are skewed by his speed racer spirit ! :)

liveforphysics said:
DrkAngel said:
liveforphysics said:

Yikes! 1.2 m/kwh ... that is a higher energy cost than a gas guzzling car!!!
file.php

About 4 times the usage of an electric car! ... ???
liveforphysics said:
All of these machines have better pack-to-wheel energy efficiency than your watt sipping scooter. The difference is, they perform work on moving air at a rate a couple orders of magnitude higher than you do when you crawl along at a snails pace. :)
Now you're just trying to offend my frugal sensibilities!

My "watt sipping scooter" gets me around town as fast, or faster, than typical traffic ... and gets 50+ m/kwh!
file.php

Ok..
To add my little bit of info into the mix..
Running 2-36v 20 AH LiFePo4's on a dual motor (250w + 500w) chopper style electric bicycle, I've done 117 miles in one clip (no recharging) via Florida's FLAT roads from West Palm Beach to East Ft Lauderdale to West Boca Raton to West Lake Worth to Palm Beach Gardens and back to West Palm Beach (all of which with a top "limited" speed set by controllers of 20mph)

In a span of a little over 18 months (prior to this year), I traveled 20,000 Miles (NOT km) on that setup AND without changing the front tire OR front tube! (Stock Schwinn OCC Tire and Extra Thick Slime 24" Tube)
(The rear 20" x 4.25" tire is a totally different story...)

DrkAngel said:
liveforphysics said:

Now you're just trying to offend my frugal sensibilities!

My "watt sipping scooter" gets me around town as fast, or faster, than typical traffic ... and gets 50+ m/kwh!
file.php

My best on a single motor bike is 55.8m/kwh or (36v 20ah for 41 miles) and that's on a heavy (100lb+) bike.
On my dual motor setup, I achieved 81.2m / kwh!!

Green Machine said:
SO here is the list..i will continue updating it as we go along.

In general it is best to have proof...pics, entry in a past event, or a thread..or in dr. bass's case a reliable witness. :) In lieu of proof at atleast a good detailed story would be great :). My guess is this is very special club. :wink: Please lets here the story if you have done a 100 mile ride and then welcome to the club.

1. Justin Le (100+ mile)
2. Kingfish (186 mile)
3. Dr Bass (130 mile)
4. Glowwormbiycle (110 miles)
5. MadRhino (100 miles)
6. Josh K (110 miles)
7. Demosthenes (140+)
8. Jerome Daoust (100)
9. Lyen (102)
10. Sangesf (117)

I think separating pedaling, not pedaling, no charge and recharging would be a novel idea.. ;).
(Yeah, I want to be number 1 for no pedaling and no recharging) heh!

Weather was perfect, but the grandkids demanded I make breakfast pizza ... then they demanded a second.
I have to spoil them ... to get revenge on their parents. A.K.A. - the mothers curse.
So I didn't get started till almost noon.

View attachment 7

m/h indicator blinks, so missed it about 1/2 the time.

Odometer begin.JPG

About 40 miles in, I swapped my seat.
Looking for new & different ways to torture my butt.
I spent 6+ hours "in the saddle".

Lipo Miles.JPG

At about 60 miles, I took a break and lubed my bottom bracket, derailleur & chain.
Annoying squeak.
Changed seat back!

40 Miles Li-ion.JPG

I had to pedal assist ... just to keep my butt alive.
I varied between ...
Low saddle - build up my butt &
High saddle - build my quads
Oh ... destroy, torture, torment are now, synonyms of build!

Max speed.JPG

Upgraded 44T - 11T sprockets allow me to pedal assist - past 30 mph!

Average speed.JPG

Miles end.JPG

Odometer_end.JPG

Would I make another, "no good reason", 100 mile run?
Will have to let you know - still looking for the refrigerated-Jello filled seat!

103.96 mile 1 day ride.
file.php

Next Day ... It is a miracle!

All the aches and pains, that my aging body has acquired, over the years, seem gone!
They have been replaced by, "New & Improved", aches and pains!

Hands
Wrists
Forearms
Triceps
Shoulders
Neck
Upper back
Lower back
Abdomen
Glutes
Inner thigh
Quadriceps
Knees
Calves
Ankles
Feet
Even my toes!

And to top it off, even tho I lubed up with SPF30, I got sunburned too!

Back