1000w Golden Motor Kit Review *Arizona Ebikes*

icecube57

10 MW
Ok this review has been long over due on my Golden Motor. I had 3 places to purchase this motor. Online from their website, Ebay, or a local US dealer. I chose the US dealer. I called him up he answered promptly. I asked him a few question... Mainly if i could get a rear and a 7 speed free wheel. He said it would work but i would probably have to dish the wheel little bit and worry about clearance issues. I asked a few more question and made my decision. His checkout on his site is a little funky. I purchased a GM 1000w Front Wheel Hub Motor. I recieved the motor in 5 days because of the weekend and he had some in shop testing before he sent it out but he emailed me the tracking info and everything I thought it was nice of him but it should be expected from any retailer. I got the kit it came in the usual cardboard box with styrofoam protecting everything. The controller and throttle was wrapped in bubble wrap. Well packaged. I was impressed with the quality of the rim. It was very true and no loose spokes. I expected to get a black and silver motor. But instead i got an all silver motor. It was etched with 48v 1000w and i guess it either had the model or serial number after that. It came with a inner tube and tire pre installled. I removed them. The rim had no rim tape and it had sharp burrs from where the spoke holes were drilled out for the larger nipples. I took a round file and fixed all of that. I applied the rubber rim tape from the stock wheel and applied it to the motor wheel. Installed the inner tube and tired and i was very happy with my work. I went to mount it to the fork I noticed that the torqu washers werent lining up correctly. One of them was on in the wrong direction. I had to cut my hall sensor wires because the connector was to big to fit through the nut. After i did that i arranged the nuts and washers only to find out that the torque washer really didnt fit even after bending the tab. I discarded them and added a washer in its place. The motor bolted pretty true. I spun the wheel pefect mount no wobble or anything. I had to solder my hall sensor connector back on but it was an easy job. I mounted my controller throttle and rear rack for my battery. I hooked my battery up the unloaded wheel speed was 45 mph. I took it down stairs outside in my apartment complex. The bike was fast compared to my other build. It had plenty of torque and acceleration. I could get up to 30+ mph plus in the flats. I had some power cutting out during acceleration but I later found it to be bad connectors. After a few more trial runs the inline fuse had melted. It was a glass style 30A fuse. But the holder,contacts and casing were all hot and warped. The fuse didnt blow but I went to the auto parts store and bought an inline blade fuze holder and a 35A fuze and ive had no problems since. Also after a few rides the Full LED light on my throttle went out. Im thinking when I plugged in my pack fresh off the charger its has a pretty high float charge of 59 to 60 v and thats what caused the light to pop. So i only have a half and empty light on my thumb throttle. I got a wattsup meter so it really doesnt mattery about those indicators. The motor does make a little growl when starting from a dead stop. Only because of the fat rider. It has some harmonic noise as it ramps up but after 20mph its not there anymore. The torque is pretty nice. I had a video of it pulling me up a series of rolling hills that got steeper and it stayed in the high teens to 20s the whole time. The thing i find funny about this motor sometimes it can seem kinda sluggish like when you start a stick car in the wrong gear. Other times Its pretty fast. But the more i think about it yeah you can start this motor on a hill but dont expect it to launch off. But it will start up and slowly pull you gradually building speed until it cant go any faster. On flats it gets you into the 20s within seconds. After about 25 it tapers off... It slowly climbs into the low 30s. between 10 and 20 mph is like the power zone because it really takes off. The motor shines when you have the speed and inertia built up and are at crusing speeds nothing slows it down. But in urban stop and go it can begin to piss you off because the low end starting torque sub par and the stop and go can take a toll on the batts and those hungry acceleration amp spike take a toll on performance later in the ride. I ride to work WOT all the way and i stay in the upper 20s and low 30s most of the way. When i get to work its barely luke warm. I have some hills that i dont wanna even pedal on a regular bike and with the combination of the speed and inertia it flies through them. As Justin from ebikes.ca proved its not great on mountainous terrain. His motor overheated. But I consider this an intermediate motor for the average joe who wants speed and power at average voltages but cant afford an X5.. this is the next best thing.

Dear IceCube57,

Thank you very much for your review. The reviews here are extremely helpful to those of us deciding upon the purchase of the various available motors, batteries, controllers, kits, etc.

One desperate plea from those of us who eyes are failing: Please use paragraphs. Thank you for your consideration.

Sincerely,

WonderProfessor

Hi icecube57,

sounds like this kit had a lot of little issues with it. Overall, would you recommend this kit?

Thanks for the detailed review. Very helpful.
Tcman

I kinda think my problems are isolated. I got over 1200 miles and the motor its self is solid. Other components are lack luster but work. Probably problems with the person installing it. LOL I would recommend this kit because if you are in the US this is like the only distributor. It beats trying to deal with GM directly. Try ebay for a complete kit for 200-300 they sill front and rear gm pretty cheap on there.

Sounds like a nice strong motor. Any kit can have the kind of problems you had installing, especially the fit of the front hub to the forks. You were wise to do something about it fast, and not ignore it till you went over the handlebars. Remember how loaded down Justin was when he fried his motor on the trip last year. In normal use, I bet the thing can climb some hills just fine.

On my aotema motor, I find that when the hills get really steep like above 7%, a lower gear and less throttle works better. If the motor starts growling too loud, I take it as a sign that I am getting too much power and not enough motion, which makes heat instead of motion.

You can put some paragraph spaces in the first post easy with the edit function.

Back