• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

12G SPOKE + 3 PEOPLE +130Nm = BAD

kadir

100 mW
Btw, before anyone reads anything... Is there anyone else who broke their 12g spoke on the crystalytes? Please answer below, inorder to make me feel better that I am not the only person who suffered

My Rim got damaged recently. Broke a 12g spoke on my crystalyte kit.
Btw, 12guage is almost twice as much metal/diameter as 15g spokes(generally 14 gauges are seen).
Normally 12g were used in horse racing carts(atleast in Southern Ontario). Now try to imagine the strength.
The cause of the failure was probably my fault.
I was carrying 2 people of 180lbs, including me(180lbs), and the bike's own weight of 42lbs at the rear wheel. Totaling to around 500Lbs just on the rear wheel.

Now add 120Nm torque on the axle, PLUS going at 60km/h, and then going over pot-holes.

The spokes didn't fail in the beginning. The spokes beside the one that broke cause the Rim's inside to bulge, releasing stress from those spokes, and eventually putting stress on one of the spoke (the one what was not associated with the bulge). The good spoke now underwent fatigue and thus failure.
Even though without one spoke, the wheel is holding up quite good. I have clocked over 150km WITHOUT a spoke, and carrying passengers. There was a slight wobble issue, but I true-ed the wheel a little bit to minimise it. There was a bit of hopping because of the bulge, that caused the rim to bulge out at that portion.

Wheel-broken-1-The-lace-pattern-300x225.jpg
Wheel-broken-2-Normal-Junction-300x225.jpg

Wheel-broken-3-the-bulge-300x225.jpg
Wheel-broken-4-Broken-nipple-300x225.jpg

Wheel-broken-5-cutting-the-spokes-225x300.jpg
Wheel-broken-6-spokes-cut-300x225.jpg

Another thing to let you know. The spoke length calculator was somehow off on the Justin's site (ebike.ca).. My wheel diameter was 525mm exactly. The resulting calculated spoke length was 153mm. I had cut them at 155mm. But I was having trouble getting the nipples to the threads of the spoke. Realising I am short of a few more milimeter. So for assurance, I increased the spoke length to 165mm

The threads were rolled, NOT cut. This ensured that the major diameter of the threads bigger than the diameter of the spoke itself. This happens because, when the threads are rolled, the metal are squeezed into the thread. Thus no metal is lost, resulting in some squeezed in, some out along the spoke, making the thread.
This ensures superior performance, as the threads are less prone to getting sheared off.
Wheel-broken-7-spoke-threader-300x225.jpg

Resulting in 3 mm of excess spoke length that was grinded off.

Wheel-broken-10spoke-grinding-300x200.jpg

Wheel-broken-11gringing2-269x300.jpg

The cost was
60$ - for Rim
50$ - for 70+ spokes(includes the 36 short ones, few other damaged by the spoke threader )
5$ - for the 'super' rim tape. I was atleast 3mm thick.
Free - hole drilling/enlarging of rim, use of the grinder, use of spoke threader

Wheel-broken-8-New-rim-300x225.jpg

Wheel-broken-9-drilling-New-rim-300x264.jpg

Wheel-broken-12-Final-300x225.jpg

Totalling to 115$.. pretty expensive if you break your spokes :S.. the least you could go away would be 30$ for a good rim, 30$ for spokes.. yet totalling $60..

Btw.. do consider the hours wasted trying to put the 12g spokes into the holes.. its harder than you think.. unlike the 13/14g, they are MUCH harder to bend.

I hope these spoke last a loooong time :roll: .

Btw, now I have .3mm of hop and around 0.5 of offset. Pretty good for 1st time trueing ;)

how much is it if you break just one spoke? Just maybe $15 - $20? I had my rim done by ebikes.ca too and so far so good. I've dropped off of sidewalks and stuff and it still holding up well but I don't ride near as much as some of you. The damn weather here is horrible. Raining everyday this week.

morph999 said:
how much is it if you break just one spoke?

Just maybe $15 - $20?

I had my rim done by ebikes.ca too and so far so good. I've dropped off of sidewalks and stuff and it still holding up well but I don't ride near as much as some of you. The damn weather here is horrible. Raining everyday this week.

One 12g spoke+nipple would probably cost around $1.5.

The bulge happened first. Destroying the rim. A single spoke would be definately cheaper, but I would say "good luck" if you want to re-use your old spoke on new rim. First of all, they are rusted. they are not made of stainless steel. Its just a coating. On the inside, mine rusted quite a bit. These are the same 12g spoke and rim that comes by default (not just from ebikes.ca). So I guess unless your ones are 13g spokes butted to 14g (the ones that ebikes.ca) can only supply, spokes are probably the same as mine (12g chrome coated). btw, just to clear it out, ebikes.ca doesn't build the wheel. The wheel and rim comes together in a box. They just ship it to you.

I asked them whether they could ship me 13g spokes, unfortunately, their spoke threader was not in the shop. And they would get it back after two weeks. I couldn't wait the Half-a-month wait time :cry: .. Thus took matters on my own hand.

I tried to reuse mine, but got fed up trying to unscrew them out, thus chopped some of them out. YET I saved some and tried , but found out that, the two of the threads got cross threaded when re-tightening the spoke, while one got stripped while truing.

swbluto said:
A suspension may help, although 500 pounds is still quite a bit.

I normally have my tires at 25psi.. a lot lower than most tires.
I have full suspension but that only helps me, not the passenger.
IMAGE OF THE CYCLE : (large 4MP: http://fayazkadir.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/Ebike.jpg
Ebike-300x225.jpg

The passengers are all unsprung mass. So (today) what I did was, ordered a Magic-Carpet cushion seat. added to that I will add one inch more of closed cell medium-soft foam. Thats the best I can do.

Btw the Magic carpet was from
https://www.biketrailershop.com/xtracycle-accessories-c-231.html
They will restock the carpet again on june 28th. Thats the estimated date of shipping

Cost was $36+$14 for shipping = 50USD

I've put that much weight on my rear hub, but mine has motorcycle spokes, rim and tire, and I haven't tried much speed with that load. Impressive weight on bike stuff. Glad you didn't lose multiple spokes at once with that load and speed. It might have gotten ugly.

John

John in CR said:
I've put that much weight on my rear hub, but mine has motorcycle spokes, rim and tire, and I haven't tried much speed with that load. Impressive weight on bike stuff. Glad you didn't lose multiple spokes at once with that load and speed. It might have gotten ugly.

John

What I was trying to see was there is a 200lbs load limit on the Xtracycle. I was thinking, that load limit is probably due to the how much a normal wheel can withstand. Whereas we have 12g spokes, fatter axle, stronger rim(i guess), and fatter wheel; THUS the actual limit of My bike would be more !..

Next time if the spoke breaks, I am going to 13g.. no more 12g.. its just too much of a hassel, unless Justin (ebikes.ca) or someone else decides to get 12g spokes in stock.

What I have found out was.. the more people you carry, the more is the fun with an exponential increase.

Women love the xtracycle more than you can imagine 8)

How the heck did you roll the threads on the spokes? I have never seen or heard of a way to do this in a home shop. Please elaborate!! Very cool!!

Katou

Thats how they do it everywhere.. at most bike shops(i guess) .. Thats How I saw spokes get threaded at Justin's place(Ebikes.ca), and Courtesy Bicycles (located in WIndsor,ON,canada)

If you look at the spoke threader, there are three rollers made of hard-steel, with existing threads on them.

The rollers are at an angle(shown in the diagram below; see the side view), in other words, as the spoke goes through it, it is getting sqeezed as the rollers "roll" onto the spoke, or you can say it climbs on to the spokes. When it does so, the pressure on the walls cause threads to be "squeezed" onto-and-into the spoke.
spokethreaderhowitworks.jpg

Larger Image link:
http://fayazkadir.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/spoke-threader-how-it-works.jpg

I hope you understood how it works. If not I might do a video :p!

-Fayaz Kadir

Yeah; a spoke threader looks a lot like the old mechanical pencil sharpeners, but without the intent of grinding off anything. ;)

Hi,

I build cargo bikes, and I am continuously busting spokes.
I have just rebuilt my wheel with 10g motorcycle spokes, custom made, and a double wall rim.
The original xlyte rim is rubbish.
So we will see how that goes. I still may need a stronger rim, but the wheel is looking pretty solid now.
We load our bike up with 2 adults and 2 kids, but it breaks spokes with less weight than that. Combination of weight and torque.

Next option might be to lace up as 48 spoke.

Definitely gotta mind the potholes on a loaded cargo bike. My first ebike was a schwinn trike. Supposed to be built for 50 pounds in the rear basket. 30 pounds of sla's destroyed my rear wheels pretty quickly because the bike was designed to carry 50 pounds at 5 mph, not 25.

So speed definitely plays a role in the rim abuse once we put a motor on. Those planning an extracycle install probobally ought to get their motor custom made with much stronger stuff than stock. But I still think three dudes on the bike may be asking a bit much unless the road is real nice.

Maybe if you post the photo of your fixture a bit bigger? I understand the theory of how threads are rolled, but what I want to see is how you built it. Very cool!!

Katou

Kiwi said:
Hi,

I build cargo bikes, and I am continuously busting spokes.
I have just rebuilt my wheel with 10g motorcycle spokes, custom made, and a double wall rim.
The original xlyte rim is rubbish.
So we will see how that goes. I still may need a stronger rim, but the wheel is looking pretty solid now.
We load our bike up with 2 adults and 2 kids, but it breaks spokes with less weight than that. Combination of weight and torque.

Next option might be to lace up as 48 spoke.

48spokes on a cystalyte? or just on a normal wheel? I was thinking how you can manage to space 48 spokes. Do you re-drill them?

I agree 100% that the crystalyte rim is ABSOLUTE rubbish! Next time I am going to buy the "atom lab's Pimp rim"

people say that they are the strongest.. weighs 740g, which is a a lot more than rims that are made of aluminum.

Btw, where can I source good(but cheap) 10g spoke in Northern USA or Canadian region? (I am in Canada, just by Detroit)
And also, how do you get them threaded?

Could you give me a cost analysis for the the 10g spokes for your cargo bike?

katou said:
Maybe if you post the photo of your fixture a bit bigger? I understand the theory of how threads are rolled, but what I want to see is how you built it. Very cool!!
Katou

I will get the threader again next week, and try to make a video or something.. This week I am packed... I still go to university.. So university classes during the day. 3 midterms this week. 2 labs, 3 assignments, plus meeting with people to teach them microcontrollers and stuff. so basically,Busy busy busy :(! But i will keep the video in mind..

In the meanwhile I will post more photos of the threader. And some photos of some cut threads...

I hope the images helped :mrgreen:

-Fayaz Kadir

Hi,

Here is how you drill for 48 spoke, nice thing is that you use alot of the existing holes.

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=18285#p266775

I managed to find a local guy who makes spokes for classic cars and motorcycles in NZ. The spokes cost me $100nz, so $70us.

The only international guy I found was in the UK, he will ship international.

Responded well, I think they would be a good choice.

If some one was keen to get say 10 sets made up, the price drops dramatically. Then you could sell them on ES. Pointless me doing it in NZ as the freight would kill.

http://www.central-wheel.co.uk/spokes/spokes.html

Prcies are as follows:

10G spokes 165mm

110 spokes = 3 sets.
Galvanised spokes & nipples £37.45 per set (US$55.40)

Stainless Spokes & Nipples £46.81 per set (61.66 USD)
The prices for 10 sets would be each, £27.00 (39.94 USD) for Galvanised or £33.55 (49.65 USD) for stainless steel.

Plus freight

Delivery would be 7 days.

I hope this is of assistance to you.

Kind regards
Warren Harding

Warden, that is one awesome post you have up there.

Next time I am going with motorcycle spokes ... period.

Btw, if you have time, could you just snap a quick snap(with cellphone, or a camera) of your trailer hub with the 48 spokes. I just wanted to see how it looks like with the lacing. I guess it's still single cross lace pattern.

Thanks in advance.

Ps: I bookmarked that post's link :)

-Fayaz

dp16-After-Bicycle-crash-300x225.jpg

One thing tested. I won't survive another crash. But the 12g spoke probably will :shock:

kadir said:
dp16-After-Bicycle-crash-300x225.jpg

One thing tested. I won't survive another crash. But the 12g spoke probably will :shock:

Some details from his blog:

Fell at 50km/h on Friday 18th,2010.

* Cracked Skull,
* Damaged inner-ear blood vessels,
* Sever concussion,
* No memory of Friday (the day of the crash), THUS memory loss.
* Loss of slight balance.

BRIGHT SIDE: I AM ALIVE

To prevent something like this, PLEASE WEAR a helmet. I wasn’t wearing one.

Wow, sorry to see this, hope you get well soon.

Gary

Buddy of mine was in line to be #1 bike champ for our province a little while ago. Got hit by a car at slow speed, wore a helmet, walked it off, no biggie? Now he has brain damage. Persistent headaches, feels hung-over most of the time. Can't read. (can you imagine not being able to read?) Can't work at his old job.

And that was WITH a helmet. Wear one guys. Accidents don't kill you, they just mess you up. Forever.

I used to work in a brain injury long-term care residence. My buddy's story is pretty normal, fairly light-duty really. I mean hey, he will never work again, but at least he can live on his own.

Wear a helmet. Don't make your family go through that, I've seen first hand what it does to them.

My heart goes out to you and your family Fayaz Kadir. My father always said that the Lord looks out for drunks and small children. I hope you are young enough to still qualify buddy.

Katou

So the conclusion, was ....

IF you WEAR a helmet, you still end up with a fudgy head. And you suffer all your life.
IF you DONT wear a helmet, you probably die, AND get a economy-class ticket to heaven. Not bad, i suppose...

Right now I need to wear a helmet.. (found out yesterday)I also damaged some blood vessels beside the eardrum, and some in my inner-ear... So my balance-mechanism plays games with me sometimes... But that hasn't stopped me riding a bicycle.

The worst scenario I had was yesterday(before I went to the doctor regarding my ear), while swimming. Took a small dive, flipped my goggles, headache suddenly came back, lost my direction of what is up-or-down. Tried to swim up, but ended hitting my head at the bottom of the 30feet deep pool. Swam up to the surface with a lung full of water.
The day before that, I passed out on the road while riding my cycle due to headache, dehydration and bright sunlight. Good thing there was empty carton boxes by the pavement, which saved me from banging my head again.

I am having some *awesome* moments in my life.. Making more of a man out of me :roll: i suppose...

Anyways, I love love. Today I drilled some footsies for my xtracycle. And rode the cycle by the riverside at 60ish(yes, yes, I knew there was a chance of me passing out again). It was fun, and felt nice :)

Anyways. we were discussing about fat spokes 8) !

Uh, no. You got that wrong.

Helmet = maybe normal life (if lucky)

No Helmet = maybe brain damage (if lucky)

I know that you are okay, but I'm not just writing this for you, but for all the others too.

Katou

ps. Big problem with brain injuries in comparison to injuries involving other parts of the body is that:

Brain injury = poor coordination, balance, judgment = further accidents.

i'd rather die than have near hang over experience everyday

Back