12s2p range compared to 12s3p

dolby

100 mW
I had a lipo setup that was 12s2p (10,000mah)and had a range of 17kms riding WOT. I upgraded my lipo pack to 12s3p (15,000mah) and expected a range of 25kms. My range that I am now getting is 20kms. Is this expected? I would also add that my battery pack contains a mixture of zippy and turnigy lipo and c ratings between 20 and 30. Not sure if this would have an effect.
I think that I may have a slightly higher top speed now with the 12s3p setup. Is this possible? :?

dolby said:
I had a lipo setup that was 12s2p (10,000mah)and had a range of 17kms riding WOT. I upgraded my lipo pack to 12s3p (15,000mah) and expected a range of 25kms. My range that I am now getting is 20kms. Is this expected? I would also add that my battery pack contains a mixture of zippy and turnigy lipo and c ratings between 20 and 30. Not sure if this would have an effect.
I think that I may have a slightly higher top speed now with the 12s3p setup. Is this possible? :?

Yes it is possible due to the fact that most controllers allow more power to run to the motor with a larger battery.

Alastor said:
Yes it is possible due to the fact that most controllers allow more power to run to the motor with a larger battery.

Sorry, I think this is not correct.

For a given/set voltage the amount of power (in watts) that the motor will draw from the battery pack will be constant and only *ONLY* depends on the electrical resistance of the motor assuming:

the temperature of the motor doesn't change
the voltage of the battery doesn't sag
the total current demanded by the motor can be supplied by the battery pack.

Soooooo, given the above I'd suggest that in *THEORY* what you have done would not change the max speed of the bike and you would expect an additional of range 1/2 what you currently have ( (17 / 2) * 3) = 25.5km so you guesstimate is ok.

HOWEVER, this is the real world. The different packs will all behave differently to some extent (e.g. one may only have 4623maH and another may have 5102maH capacity). Each pack has a nominal voltage, but the actual voltage will be different, and again each pack will be different. I'm not sure what happens when you connect 2x old packs @3.9v in series with 1x new pack @4.1v: I'm fairly sure you won't get 4.1v (suspect it will be part way between then two).

hth

sp

Since your voltage doesn't sag as much during the discharge curve you consume more Wh/mile because you are enjoying higher speed/power performance.

If you were to EXACTLY copy physical speed/distance usage, Wh/mile should be the same for either size pack.

Precisely. Plus you may be getting slightly less capacity from the new packs than the old. 5000 mha is a ballpark number. I have seen 5200 written on some of my oldest turnigy packs cells, but zippys would say 5000.

You are, I'm sure, enjoying less sag at the end of the discharge, so using more watts at that point in the ride. And less sag through the entire ride, explains 1-2 mph more speed.

Back