16" Dahon Curve D3 w/ Driven Crank & 3-Speed Hub

GGoodrum

1 MW
I'm amassing enough pieces now, that I thought it was time to start a build thread. The bike I'm starting with, shown below, is a Dahon Curve D3 16" folding bike. This was actually the first folding bike I converted, originally with a front-mounted Crystalyte 408. I eventually decided that I wanted to go to an x5 configuration, but since they wouldn't fit on a 16" wheel, I ended up getting a couple of 20" models. The x5s are beastly on a folding bike, so I converted one of them, a 20" Dahon Mariner, to use a Cyclone 1000 setup. it is the one in my Avatar.

Curve-D3-01.jpg

I'm actually quite happy with the performance of the Cyclone setup, which runs off a 16s6p 48V/13.8Ah a123-based pack. The Cyclone motor, which has a kV around 70, drives the front crank, which allows use of a Nexus 3-speed hub in the rear. The only fault I find in this configuration is that they use a ridiculously small #40 (1/2") 6T motor sprocket, so it is noisy as hell. Apparently they also use a cheap freewheel in the crank, although it still appears to working okay for me. Eventually, this can be replaced with a higher quality unit, like the White Industries ENO model, but I'm not going to worry about it until I need to. Anyway, with a 55A controller limit, this setup peaks out at about 2600W, but because of the gearing benefit of going through the 3-speed hub, this combo actually outperforms the 24s4p 72V 5303-based setup with a 4110-modded controller set to about 65A.

This surprising performance "boost" by taking advantage of the bike's gearing has started me on this quest now, to convert all my bikes to similar weight-saving configurations. I'm also now able to go back and standardise my setups to all use 16s/48V packs. Going to 72V was a pain because a lot of my "accessories", like a WattsUp, or an EagleTreeSystems eLogger wouldn't work with pack voltages that high. It has also allowed me to come full-circle in regards to power options. Like Matt, and others here, I come from a longtime background in electric RC models, mainly electric helicopters in my case. My TPpacks website was originally started five years ago as a way to help Charlie Wang sell his first generation Thunder Power LiPo packs. Back several years ago there wern't any larger scale electric helicopters, so I ended up doing a conversion kit for one of the more popular glow-powered models. Now, I'm happy to say, electrics have pretty much taken over. I also got into a123 cells with electric helis as well. First we got into using the eMoli cells in the Milwaukee V28 tool packs, but they had heavy steel cans so these setups took a pretty good performance hit, when compared to LiPos. When the lighter a123s first became available, about a year later, we could get close to the same performance, without too much of a weight penalty. In particular, they were great with the airborne photography setups a lot of us were doing because we could get decent durations and we cold recharge them in about 20-25 minutes. With two sets of packs, I could go pretty much continuous.

Impressed with the power we were pulling out of these RC motors (4-5kW...), I then decided to try and do an electric bike conversion using one. At the time, I had two ebikes. The first was a Giant eSuede, which used a 36V/9Ah NiMN battery. Power was pretty anemic. I eventually replaced the 30 NiMn D-cells with a 10s3p eMoli pack, which works a bit better. The second ebike I had was a mountain bike that had a Bionix 36V kit installed. For that, I kept the 10s6p Konion/Sony pack, and added a 10s2p eMoli "booster" pack, for extra range. Again, I really wasn't happy with the performance, which then caused my epiphany about using one of the larger RC motors, and make use of the bike's gearing.

My first attempt at this was to use a Hacker A60-18L, with 6.3:1 initial gear reduction, using a couple of the glass-impregnated hard plastic gears used on one of my larger helicopter setups. The output shaft of this reduction had a 7T #40 sprocket that then drove the larger of the chainrings on a Townie 21 cruiser-style bike. Here's what the motor setup looked like:

eBike-Hacker-01.jpg

eBike-Hacker-03.jpg

The controller is a Kontronik PowerJazz, which is good for 63V and 200A. I used an Astroflight servo tester which I modified to remove the pot and was instead wired directly to a 0-5k Magura resistive-type throttle. The ESC and servo tester was powered by a 5V UBEC that was connected to half the pack voltage. I "hid" the servo tester and UBEC inside the "box", which was mounted to the frame downtube.

I never really got a chance to fully test this setup, because there was just too much power going through for the gears to hold up. I stripped three sets of gears before giving up. The other problem I had, which I hadn't thought through, was that the pedals turned with the motor drive. That sent me back to the Internet, in search of front-mounted freewheels. That's when I found Endless-Sphere. :) After discovering the more powerful setups people were doing with hubmotors, I decided to switch horses, and the RC-based setup went to the back burner. Now, being much wiser ( :mrgreen: ), I'm ready to come full-circle, and get back to doing this right. ;)

During the brief amount of testing with the Hacker that I did manage to get in, it was clear that it can handle the power of the bike environment without getting too hot. After I crunched the first set of gears, I took it easy starting off, and was able to go through a couple of shifts and ride around the neighborhood a bit. The motor barely got warm. I never worried about the PowerJazz, as it wasn't really being taxed, and it has a built-in fan mounted on top. I also didn't have the sort of issues that Matt has seen with his HV110 ESCs that he kept blowing before adding the caps, but I may yet have an issue. We'll see.

Here's the specs on the motor and the controller:

Hacker A60-18L
Kontronik Power Jazz

The German-built Hackers have always been great performers, but not inexpensive. At the time, there weren't too many choices out there, so we were stuck with the high prices. Eventually, the Chinese started doing cheap knockoffs, that were a fraction of the cost, but they didn't perform anywhere near as well, mainly due to the use of cheap magnets, and unpure steel in the stator, which causes heat-generating, power-robbing, eddy currents. The quality eventually improved, however, and it forced Hacker, and others, to also move production to China. In Hacker's case, however, they did a better job on quality control and used the best magents, high-quality steel and good bearings. For awhile, I was importing motors from Taiwan which were better quality than the mainland knockoffs, and almost as good as the Hackers, but even these suffered from quality issues, and I lost a ton of money on replacements.

I also used to like the Korean-built Hyperion motors, as the quality was better than the Chinese variants. I see they now have one with very similar specs as the A60-18L, the Z5045-18. I'm still technically a dealer for these, so I think I will get one to campare with the Hacker. The specs nearly are identical, and it is about $100 less expensive.

The highest-quality motors I've ever used come from Steve Neu, down in San Diego (Neumotors.com). He has cases made in China, but everything else comes from here, well sorta. :) He uses very thin, coated stator laminations, from the highest quality steel, but they are machined in India. The magnets come from somewhere in Pennsylvania and he has the stators hand-wound, just across the border in Mexico. Final assembly and test is done at his facility in San Diego. Anyway, these motors are about as efficient as you can get, and yet still quite reasonably priced. What I really like is that they are not outrunners, with spinning cans, which I think is not the best answer for use on a bike, but they do have large diameters so they have high torque at lower rpms, like an outrunner. We actually coined a nickname for the first of these,"ORK", which stood for OutRunner Killer.

At the time I was doing the Hacker setup, I talked to Steve about using one of his 2200 series"BAMs" (Big-Ass Motor... :)), but he didn't really have one with a low enough kV. What we ended up doing was using the 2215-3Y (kV: 480...) with a massive P62 6.75:1 planetary gearbox. I still have this motor/GB combo, shown below, and eventually plan to use it with Matt's eDrive to repower my Townie. It is a little hard to get a size reference, but the whole assembly is about the size of a Coke can. The GB output shaft is 12mm. This gearbox is uber-expensive, however, so not really a great solution. Steve now also has a longer core version, the 2230, and it is now easier for him to do lower kV versions, without losing efficiencies, so one of my conversions will probably use one of these, coupled with a single-stage eDrive.

NM2215-3Y-GB-01.jpg

Getting back to the project at hand, I've got lots of bits and pieces ordered, with some starting to show up. Originally, my plan was to use the Dimension "Big Cheese" 110 BCD adapter and drill it out, as shown in one of the threads here, in order to install a 22T White Industries ENO high quality freewheel with the Echo Trials cranks, which screw into the freewheel. I've ordered the 22T ENO and the Echo cranks, but the 22T vrsion was out-of-stock at Web Cyclery until late last week, so these items just shipped. At somebody's suggestion in the Freeweel Crank Resources thread, I looked into getting an IPS crankset (Independent Pedaling System...), which are used in some tandem bikes so that the "stoker" doesn't have to always pedal. Tandem purists will tell you that this is cheating ( :roll: ), so these IPS drives aren't so easy to find. I ordered one here: IPS crankset. The freewheel is implemented simply by including a standard 16T BMX freewheel inside a "sandwich" that makes up the spider arms, which have the same standard 110mm BCD as the Big Cheese adapter, but no drilling is required. I have no idea about the quality of the freewheel used, but since it is a standard unit, I can replace it later with a 16T ENO. It did come packed with grease, at least, so we'll see how long it lasts. Here is what it looks like with the two Sugino MTB chainrings I'm planning to use:

IPS%20Crankset-01.jpg

In order to get a good balance between high low-end torque, and adequete top speed, using the SRAM 3-speed hub, I figure I need a reduction to the crank of around 26.5:1. I want to keep the pedaling part of the system close to what is now, mainly to have a "get home" capability, should somethng fail. Right now there is a 44T chainring on the front, and a 16T cog on the hub. 2nd gear on the hub is 1:1, with 1st and 3rd being 0.75:1 and 1.33:1, respectively. It is roughly equivalent to having a 3-speed cassette with cogs of 22T, 16T and 12T. My initial plan is to modify my existing Hacker "box" setup to replace the gear drive with the same 5mm HTD belt drive that Matt is going to use with the eDrives. It turns out this box setup will be easier to mount on the Curve D3, in the area behind the seatpost, than the current edrive mount, so this will get me something play with until I can figure out how best to get Matt's mount to work. Initially, this conversion will be a "test mule", of sorts, so I can try some different motor and controller combinations. Eventually, once I figure out what works, and what doesn't, this will get a prettied up, blinged out eDrive setup. :)

The motor has a kV of 149, which is perfect, I think, for a 48V setup and a single-stage beltdrive reduction. With a 12T pulley on the motor, and a 72T pulley on the output shaft, you can get a reduction as high as 6:1. The current box setup has a 7T sprocket to drive the crank, but in its place I'm going to use a freewheel adapter I also ordered from BikePartsUSA.com. This adapter basically reduces the 1.375" threaded hole in a MX freewheel, or a track cog, down to 15mm. I'm then using a bore reducer to get it down to the 10mm I need for my current output shaft. Matt is having special freewheel adapters made that will go right on his 1/2" output shaft. Anyway, I plan to use this adapter with a 12T track cog. It will drive a 53T chaining on the IPS crankset, so the secondary reduction is 4.42:1.

To get to my desired total reduction to the crank of 26.5:1, I need the 1st stage to be 6:1, so the 12T/72T belt drive option seems perfect. On my existing box setup, however, it will be hard to add an idler pulley, and I'm worried that not enough teeth on the 12T pulley will be engaged, so initially I'm going to use a 17T motor pulley. This also keeps me from having to drill out the 12T pulley to 8mm, which is the size of the Hacker shaft, as anything below 17T has a 6mm bore. The 17T has an 8mm bore already. Anyway, this decision messes up my gearing, so it was back to the spreadsheet. What I found is that I could get close to the same gearing by changing the front "pedal" chainring to 40T (from 44T...), and go to a slightly larger 18T cog (from the existing 16T...) on the rear hub, without changing the pedal-only ratios too much. I went too far on my Cyclone setup, changing out the supplied 36T chainring for a 24T "granny" gear, and then going from 18T to 23T on the rear cog. It actually has too much low-end torque now, and it has made the pedals pretty useless. Even in 3rd it is like using the lowest granny gear on a mountain bike, with a big 1st gear sprocket in back. That's why this time I'm more sensitive to making changes to the existing gearing for pedaling. Still, I think this is a worthwhile compromise and a good starting point.

Today I'm going to work on converting the box setup to the HTD belt drive. I will post some pics when this is finished. Next, after that, I will work on getting the box assembly mounted to the frame. Finally, I will install the new crankset, change out the rear cog, and get the motor/box-to-crank chain installed and adjusted. Finishing touches will be to refit the rest of the electronics, install the throttle, add an ET eLogger to the setup, with its remote display and then finish up the 16s4p a123 pack/BMS combo I've been working on for this bike.

-- Gary

Hi Gary,

GGoodrum said:
The controller is a Kontronik PowerJazz, which is good for 63V and 200A. I used an Astroflight servo tester which I modified to remove the pot and was instead wired directly to a 0-5k Magura resistive-type throttle. The ESC and servo tester was powered by a 5V UBEC that was connected to half the pack voltage. I "hid" the servo tester and UBEC inside the "box", which was mounted to the frame downtube.

I never really got a chance to fully test this setup, because there was just too much power going through for the gears to hold up. I stripped three sets of gears before giving up.

During the brief amount of testing with the Hacker that I did manage to get in, it was clear that it can handle the power of the bike environment without getting too hot. After I crunched the first set of gears, I took it easy starting off, and was able to go through a couple of shifts and ride around the neighborhood a bit. The motor barely got warm. I never worried about the PowerJazz, as it wasn't really being taxed, and it has a built-in fan mounted on top. I also didn't have the sort of issues that Matt has seen with his HV110 ESCs that he kept blowing before adding the caps, but I may yet have an issue. We'll see.

-- Gary

Matt fried a PowerJazz. I don't think he was running 200A through it so extra caps might be a fix.

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3904&start=360&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=jazz
My Power Jazz took a dump on me as soon as I started it up. I installed it and went outside with the bike. I powered it up and heard the arming tones. Then I gave it a touch of throttle. The motor just whistled for a half second, then I got a heavy 8 to 10 inch flame like a rocket out the side of the ESC. I had to reach down near the ESC to unplug it. I singed the hair on my arm doing so. It actually burned some wiring and a bit of the fiberglass under the seat. :x So, I am sending it back. I will get a refund as soon as they pronounce it dead.

Hmm, the good news (shadowed by more bad news) is that I got the Eagle Tree data logger hooked up. I hooked up another HV110 controller from my 100+ mph RC car. That controller was heavily beat from pulling 130 amps through it on my high speed runs and, as you can guess, I fried that ESC. Hmm, not too good. However, that being said, I got good data from my Eagle Tree;

#1 My bike requires 350 to 400 watts to cruise at 20mph. Not the best, but not terrible. With the tire off the ground, it requires 300 watts to sped the rear wheel at 30mph and 400 watts to spin it at 42mph. That is good data to know.

#2 The reason I fried my second HV110 (the beat up one) is I pulled waaayy in excess of 5,000 watts through it a number of times. Heck, I could have pulled 7,000 through it if I tightened the clutch and went for it. :wink: So, needless to say, the data logger is fantastic! Now I just need to find an ESC that can drive this motor to its potential...

So, one question I have for you electronic guys is;

should I add capacitors near the inputs of the new ESC? I cannot get the cells closer than about 12 to 14 inches of wire away. I can increase the wire guage to maybe 8 guage if need be. Or would added caps near the inputs be good enough?

Thanks, Mitch. I knew he had problems, but he might just have had a bad unit, or the PJ didn't like the motor for some reason. Mine seemed fine with the Hacker, and I was running enough power through it to strip the gears, but adding caps can't hurt. Richard is doing a design for a throttle control, which will have a current limiter and an ebrake-type interface. I'm thinking of adding the caps to this board.

In any case, the HV110s are the way to go, as they are a fraction of the price. The PowerJazz is over $400. :shock:

-- Gary

Got some more bits and pieces in, the 5/8" freewheel adapter, and the 12T track cog. I'm using a 10mm-5/8" bore reducer from SDP-SI in order to fit the FW adapter/12T cog assembly onto the 10mm output shaft, in place of the 7T sprocket that was on there originally. I also received the "Big Cheese" 110mm BCD adapters, a White Industries 22T ENO freewheel and the Echo trials cranks. I will use these for repowering my Townie, which will use the NM 2215, with Matt's drive. For this project, I'm still planning to use the IPS crankset, and then just replace the FW with a 16T ENO unit, after the stock one wears out.

With the holidays, my freetime has been limited, so I haven't made too much progress, but hopefully that will change soon. I still need to drill new holes in the "box", to relocate the output shaft out a bit, to make room for the larger belt pulley. As soon as that is done, I can reassemble the whole box/motor/pulley combo, and then start work on getting this assembly installed on the bike.

Pics to follow...

-- Gary

Progress...

I finally got some time to work on converting my test box setup over to an HTD belt drive. I had to move the output shaft over a little more than an inch, to make room for the big pulley:

eBike-Hacker-04.jpg

eBike-Hacker-05.jpg

I decided that because there's not an easy way to add an idler pulley, that a 12T motor pulley wouldn't allow very many teeth to make contact with the belt, which is pretty short, due to the compactness of this setup, so I am using a 17T version. It already came with an 8mm bore, so that saved me from having to drill it out.

The big pulley has a 12mm bore but the hollow and hardened main shaft from one of the helicopter models that I'm using for the output shaft, is 10mm, so I'm using a 12mm-to-10mm bore reducer. In the picture, I still have the 7T output sprocket installed. I've got a bit more work to do on the freewheel adapter I got from BikePartsUSA. This adapter, which is normally used on trike setups, has a 15mm bore. The used to sell a version with a slightly larger 5/8" bore, so I ordered 5/8"-to-10mm bore reducers. What I ended up getting was an adapter with a 15mm bore, so I had to drill it out to 5/8". What I have left to do is to drill out the bore reducer, so that the two adapter set screws can reach the 10mm shaft.

Tomorrow, I'm going to work on geting the whole assembly mounted on the bike. Not sure exactly how this will go, but I have a couple of options. I also need to install the IPS crankset. Anyway, my hope is to get this up and running before the end of the weekend. It appears our "winter" is over, as we have sunny skies and 75F temps again, so it will be a good weekend to test this setup.

No more today, though, as I have to watch my Trojans beat up some more on Penn State. :mrgreen:

-- Gary

Hi Gary,

I'd be a little nervous about the Hacker bearings handling the tension required to keep the belt tight. I'm not sure if it would make a difference or not but I'd consider incorporating this mount. If I understand it correctly the bearing on the mount supports the back end of the shaft so at least both ends of the shaft would be supported:
http://www.aero-model.com/mmdetails.aspx?id=A60-MM

I'm having a hard time figuring out how to mount the "box" setup to the Curve D3 frame. I may just wait for Matt's drive, which is probably going to be easier to mount.

-- Gary

I think the location where you have the mount illustrated lends itself to a very secure mount that could be fabricated with an abrasive blade on a Skilsaw, a grinder and an electric drill. One solution which I believe would work well is three plates.
  • 1. A plate on top of the frame "Y". It would be good if it had hole that dropped down over the seat-tube.

2. A thicker plate (thick enough to fit against the sides of the frame) cut to fit snugly inside the "Y". It would bolted or welded to the top plate

3. A bottom plate that would be placed below the frame "Y".
With the top and bottom plates bolted together the assembly could not move sideways or forward or backwards. Then you could bolt the Hacker box, or Matt's drive to the top plate.

This setup is not too different, mechanically at least, to a lot of the larger RC helicopter setups we did that used belt drives. In particular, the Hacker might have less of a problem with bearing stress, as the main bearing is quite large , in diameter. In any case, I will keep an eye on this. I had not seen that mount before, but its main purpose is to allow the motor to be mounted to a cowling in back of the motor, like the larger A80/A100/A200 series. That big HXT motor mounts this way as well. The A50/A60-style motors have the main mounts in front, and that's where the larger bearing is.

The edited picture of the bike with Matt's mount in the first post is just notional, and may not be to scale. I tried fitting the Hacker box in that space but the front of the rear rack hits the controller, with the box stood on end, which is the only way the box will fit. With the eDrive, I'm thinking of a U-shaped piece of aluminum that would sit on top of the triangle, bolted through to a plate underneath the triangle. The legs of the U would then bolt to the side of the eDrive mount. The holes in the legs of the U would be slotted, so that there would be enough play to adjust the tension in the chain going to the crank.

For the box, I'm also looking at trying to come up with some way of mounting it in front of the seatpost, but this is going to be a bit harder to do. This part of the frame is basically oblong, in shape, and curved. U-bolts really wouldn't work all that well. About all I can think of is drilling holes through the frame that can be used to bolt plates to that could then be bolted to the box. Two issues with this approach. Number one is that the box setup is only temporary, and I will eventually replace it with an eDrive setup, so I'd prefer not to have these ugly holes left, when I make the switch. The second problem is that I'd have to probably add some sort of guard to cover the belt drive portion, so that my pant legs don't get caught up.

Anyway, I'm still looking at options. I really would like to figure out some way of using this box setup, so that I can verify several things, like whether or not the Hacker will be suitable, whether the belt will hold up, whether I got close on the gearing, whether the PowerJazz will work okay, etc., before moving forward with a permanent eDrive setup.

-- Gary

After reading your post you should be able to help with this. I need to get info on the stock motor as far as rpms and voltage.
I want to make the propeller spin at least 4 times faster. This is the post here.

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=13039

Gary, I'm considering the Curve D3 as a straight pedal bike - and a Speed D7 is also in the running.

How has the Curve been treating you?

Hi Mike --

The Curve D3 is a great bike. It folds up very small, and is quite light. My mod for it is on the back burner, for the moment. Eventually, I'm going to do a direct-drive to the S-A 3-speed hub, with a 3210. I'll run it with a 12s2p Turnigy 20C 10Ah pack.

-- Gary

You're the OG of RC powered setups Gary. I never saw this great thread.

Much respect!

-Luke

Purchased my red D7 today - and LOVE IT!

I took the D7 over the Curve for the speed factor - the Curve's final drives are 42-77 gear inches, the D7's 34-92. I would have loved that internal gear hub, but the derailleur will have to do.

Great gear range, huge adjustability, quite light and nimble, plus, I don't feel like I HAVE to be doing 110% at all times like I do on the Legnano (my racer). I'm spoiled on hills now. I forget to downshift as far as I can, thinking I still have to punish myself and push hard. :roll:

Dahons are really nice bikes, miles ahead of the cheap folders. Quite stiff, too, surprisingly!

Gary,

Great project and beautiful bike for a base platform!

I am a fan of your portrunner as you well know, it was in part my inspiration to purchase a folder although being of limited resources (aren't we all now adays) I went with a DownTube 9FS.

As of now I'm on a 20" hub motor but the weight is, well.... it defeats the purpose of the bike right?

I will be very interested to see developments on this project, I see you dropped the Heli gears for a belt drive... I assume becuause of torque and load eating the plastic gears but 6+:1 ratio isn't that high.

I will likely imitate your final product on my 9FS to lighen it up and maintain the power I require while getting my 9 speed back (I think sticking with the chain and cassette is better in my purpose than internal freewheel).

BTW: Those look awful simliar to the Downtube Hardtail 10" 8SP folders? How is the "springyness" or looseness of the frame when in bike position?

Thanks for the inspiration!
-Mike

Gary,

One last question... everything I have read or tested shows a 20-30% loss using the internally shifting rear hubs. What is your experience with this?

-Mike

mwkeefer said:
Gary,

One last question... everything I have read or tested shows a 20-30% loss using the internally shifting rear hubs. What is your experience with this?

-Mike

I don't see that at all. If that were the case, my 3220 setup on the PR wouldn't have such insane low-end torque. Even in 2nd, which is 1:1, I can start from a dead stop and have enough acceleration to pop a wheelie, if I'm not careful. If it was losing 20-30% of the power, there's no way I'd get this sort of performance.

-- Gary

Miles,

thanks for posting that excellent paper on hub gear/derailleur system efficiencies.

So, it seems that on average the majority of the three speed hubs are 90% or better
and for 1:1 in second gear they are often ~95%.

You're welcome.

There was a follow up article which I've uploaded here:
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/download/file.php?id=26041

It's not on the H.P. site.......

Yes, that was an interesting read. This definitely sounds right. If the efficiencies were much less than the mid-90s, there would be a lot more of a performance difference between the various 3210 and 3220 setups that have used a hub vs not using a hub.

-- Gary

BTW, for those who have been waiting for them, the Freewheel adapter kits for the 3-speed hubs are finally up on my site, here. The kit includes the adapter plus all the hardware. The only thing not included is the 16t cog, but these usually come with the 3-speed hubs. I'm finishing up the instructions tonight, which will be downloadable from the site.

Here's what the kit includes:

FW Adapter Kit-01.jpg

GGoodrum said:
BTW, for those who have been waiting for them, the Freewheel adapter kits for the 3-speed hubs are finally up on my site, here. The kit includes the adapter plus all the hardware. The only thing not included is the 16t cog, but these usually come with the 3-speed hubs. I'm finishing up the instructions tonight, which will be downloadable from the site.

Here's what the kit includes:

Good to have another option out there. Are any of the 3-speed hubs disc brake compatible?

Quite an appealing option! Definitely seems like it would ease setup.

Now I just wonder what the torque limits of these 3-speed hubs are.

swbluto said:
Now I just wonder what the torque limits of these 3-speed hubs are.

Well, so far, so good. The S-A 3-speed is holding up well, with my 3220 setup. Controller is hitting about 105A/5kW peaks, and the hub still shifts smoothly, under load, just like an automatic transmission. You have to let off the power to downshift, but going from 1st to 2nd, or 2nd to 3rd, can be done under full power. Anyway, I haven't noticed any difference in how the hub is working, and it's been a couple months now. I'm not riding it everyday, though. Probably averaging a couple times a week, for 10-12- miles each ride.

-- Gary

Okay, I see how the freewheel adapter works. I'd like to preserve the front derailleurs for pedaling. Do you have to use a BMX freewheel and BMX chain?

Also, where do you get the monster motor sprocket/adapter to bolt onto the freewheel adapter?

Edit: I just saw your 3220 thread. Will need to study that.

Back