16" Dahon Curve D3 w/ Driven Crank & 3-Speed Hub

snowranger said:
Okay, I see how the freewheel adapter works. I'd like to preserve the front derailleurs for pedaling. Do you have to use a BMX freewheel and BMX chain?

Also, where do you get the monster motor sprocket/adapter to bolt onto the freewheel adapter?

Edit: I just saw your 3220 thread. Will need to study that.

You can use any freewheel, with the standard 1.37" 24tpi threads. Many work with standard 3/32" chain.

I got the large #35 sprocket and chain from gokartgalaxy.com. These are convenient because they have the 2-1/8" bore, to fit over the end of the hub, and a compatible four-hole bolt pattern that matches the adapter and the 16t cog.

For use with regular bicycle chainrings, you can use a Dimension "Big Cheese" 110mm BCD adapter and drill out the bore with a 2-1/8" hole saw:

FW Adapter Kit-02.jpg

Miles, great info as always.

Gary, Excelent on the gear adapter, as soon as you have the 219 front sprockets I will be ordering.

GGoodrum said:
snowranger said:
Okay, I see how the freewheel adapter works. I'd like to preserve the front derailleurs for pedaling. Do you have to use a BMX freewheel and BMX chain?

Also, where do you get the monster motor sprocket/adapter to bolt onto the freewheel adapter?

Edit: I just saw your 3220 thread. Will need to study that.

You can use any freewheel, with the standard 1.37" 24tpi threads. Many work with standard 3/32" chain.

I got the large #35 sprocket and chain from gokartgalaxy.com. These are convenient because they have the 2-1/8" bore, to fit over the end of the hub, and a compatible four-hole bolt pattern that matches the adapter and the 16t cog.

For use with regular bicycle chainrings, you can use a Dimension "Big Cheese" 110mm BCD adapter and drill out the bore with a 2-1/8" hole saw:

Very nice. What did you use for a freewheeling sprocket at the motor?

Wow Gary, you sold out already? I need one so put me on the list for the next round. Thanks for offering this, I will out it to good use. :wink:

etard said:
Wow Gary, you sold out already? I need one so put me on the list for the next round. Thanks for offering this, I will out it to good use. :wink:

What? No, I'm not sold out at all. I have over 30 left. Are you using Firefox? I know there are issues with using this browser. Google Chrome and IE work fine, but not Firefox. I need to go check for an update to the shopping cart software that addresses Firefox.

Anyway, if you are still having problems, PM me and I'll do a manual transaction.

-- Gary

Hey Gary,

Maybe you can have a batch made to adapt directly to 104mm chainrings so that they are even easier to use.
I am going to have to modify the easy cheese but I am worried I won't get the alignment just right... Anyhow just a thought.

Thanks,
Joe

Well after some digging around I found these sprockets.
MOSH BMX 42t Sprocket Chainwheel ALL BLACK NOS
VOXOM MID SCHOOL BMX 43T SPROCKET BLACK ANODIZE

It will be much easier to just drill the hole in the middle since the 4 opposing holes should fit the adapter perfectly (crosses fingers) which will cause it to be nicely centered.

I should finally be able to mount the 3spd and the 3210 single reduction over the weekend with the 38t sprocket I have and fine tune later with a 42 or 43... Want to find the optimum ratio.

Joe

Attachments

• 42.PNG
    414.1 KB · Views: 2,773
  • 43.PNG
    331.8 KB · Views: 2,774
i would like to know what s the progress on this system i hope everything is going well and it seems very interesting i am thinking about something simular to yours so i can not wait to hear about your progress

Thought I would bump this thread since I am considering a folder for my next build as well... and I'm not too fond of the idea of a hubmotor build for something this small. An RC drive seems ideal, but will require a really small reduction unit like what you've already put together. Did this build ever come together?

Hi,

dequinox said:
Thought I would bump this thread since I am considering a folder for my next build as well... and I'm not too fond of the idea of a hubmotor build for something this small. An RC drive seems ideal, but will require a really small reduction unit like what you've already put together. Did this build ever come together?
Here's Gary's next (RC Folder) build thread:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=12267

And the next:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=21466

About installing Gary's adapter:
View attachment 1
dual-fw-adapter-2.jpg
Just checking if anyone else did what I did and what you think of it.

The instructions put the adapter for the chainring on the inside of the sprocket, with washers on the outside of the sprocket, to move Gary's adapter away from the hub, the part of the hub with the spring ring (to hold the sprocket onto the hub):
...inside...
Chainring
Sprocket
washers
Gary's adapter

On my system I found that the chainring adapter was the same width as the washers and put it between the sprocket and Gary's adapter thus eliminating the washers and moving the chainring slightly towards the outside of of the wheel. See pics:
...inside...
Sprocket
Chainring adapter
Gary's adapter

I find I have to grind down the button heads to allow the freewheel to spin properly.

EDIT UPDATE: I did move the chainring to the inside of the sprocket because of the chain line.

Thanks,
Roy

Back