19" Motorcycle Wheels vs 26" Bicycle Wheels (rim and tires)

Rix said:
Nice build going on Synics. Yah the wheels are a tough call, if you are only going to run the one speed set up, got with a Surly singulator or Paul Melvin chain tensioner, either one of those will be way better than the set up you have right now.

Thanks man. Just took it out, stock knobbies are terrible at high speed, lol. But off road and this thing rips man. Flys up hills like it's flat, I literally wheelied up the hill.

But you're right on the chain setup. It has popped off a few times already. Pedals annoy me tbh. Just wish I could ditch them, but as I just found out, when a cop is behind me I need to look the part.

Question for you. The headlight wire has 3 wires coming out of it, black, red, and yellow. They all go different places inside the bike. Any idea what the yellow wire could be?

Rix said:
synics said:
Rix said:
Nice build going on Synics. Yah the wheels are a tough call, if you are only going to run the one speed set up, got with a Surly singulator or Paul Melvin chain tensioner, either one of those will be way better than the set up you have right now.

Thanks man. Just took it out, stock knobbies are terrible at high speed, lol. But off road and this thing rips man. Flys up hills like it's flat, I literally wheelied up the hill.

But you're right on the chain setup. It has popped off a few times already. Pedals annoy me tbh. Just wish I could ditch them, but as I just found out, when a cop is behind me I need to look the part.

Question for you. The headlight wire has 3 wires coming out of it, black, red, and yellow. They all go different places inside the bike. Any idea what the yellow wire could be?
I see you got rows of LEDs, the yellow wire may be related to having a low and high setting, and how many LEDs are powered.

The LED light I added on, replaced one that did have a high and low...but that one isn't working either for some reason. Ugh, freaking wiring is like trying to figure out nuclear physics.

synics said:
The LED light I added on, replaced one that did have a high and low...but that one isn't working either for some reason. Ugh, freaking wiring is like trying to figure out nuclear physics.

Shit I don't have a clue.

Rix said:
synics said:

I figured it out. One of the solder points broke off inside the switch and I had to re solder.

Are you still on you original battery or have you upgraded/put a new one in?

synics said:
Rix said:
synics said:

I figured it out. One of the solder points broke off inside the switch and I had to re solder.

Are you still on you original battery or have you upgraded/put a new one in?

haven't upgraded the Bomber's battery yet, the Bomber is in pieces at the moment. Both P7 are on the original batteries, and my green p7 is 3 years old now and works just as good as my tan p7 which is one year old. On my green Beta, I am running Lipos, hobby king special 12s 32ah in 4 brick packs. Two 6 cell 16ah in series parralled x2. Bulk charging to 49 volts. The cells get balanced every 10-15 cycles. Its old school PITA by today's standards.

I was thinking about getting this tire but not sure if it's too wide.

https://www.2wheel.com/metzeler-block-c-front-rear-tire.html?sku=353704

Is anyone using a 3.00-19 moto tire on a bomber frame?

Battosaii said:

I ran a 3.00 X 18 on my Bomber, there was plenty of room between the tire and swing arm crossmember, you should have no problems with that 3.00 X 19 tire.

I have a 19x1.40 motorcycle rim, and I found the 24x3.00 bicycle fat tire was way too large to fit the rim, it wasnt even close. I'm thinking maybe a 22" tire, may fit.
Only one here https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/s-m-bikes-mainline-22-bmx-tyre/rp-prod185434
Four here https://www.modernbike.com/22-inch-tires
but lots here https://hollandbikeshop.com/en-gb/bicycle-tires-and-inner-tubes/bicycle-tires-22-inch/
22" seems to be pretty niche

Rix said:
Battosaii said:

I ran a 3.00 X 18 on my Bomber, there was plenty of room between the tire and swing arm crossmember, you should have no problems with that 3.00 X 19 tire.

Awesome thanks. Been hard finding street tires in 19" moto I regret not going 17 lol

Rix said:
Yah, the 17mc rim with the 3.00-17 sr241 is my favorite off road only combo with a 24mtb on the front. Lots of mechanical advantage with that rear tire. Climbs well. The 18x1.4 rims running either the 3.00-18 VRM021 or SR241 is the best of all worlds. Looks closer in size to a 24MTB, smaller than a 19, which gives a little mechanical advantage. I like this size so much, that I have purchased 6 18x1.4 rims which I am running on my Fighter and next several builds.

Long time man. Here's what my bike ended up looking like.
Electric Stable-7.jpg

Question, I got some loose spoke that won't tighten, so I'm thinking of going down to a smaller 18x1.85 excel rim. (currently have 19x1.85 in in back, 21x1.85 in front) I would put the 18x3" Shinko 241 on it in that size. But when it comes to lacing, I'm clueless...how would I know how long my 10 gauge spokes would need to be? Can they be ordered to size?

Yes and yes. Figure out your spoke length here. https://www.ebikes.ca/tools/spoke-calc.html

After you know the length of spoke, contact these guys and they will get you spokes and nipples. http://www.buchananspokes.com/categories/custom_spoke_sets.asp

Rix said:
Yes and yes. Figure out your spoke length here. https://www.ebikes.ca/tools/spoke-calc.html

After you know the length of spoke, contact these guys and they will get you spokes and nipples. http://www.buchananspokes.com/categories/custom_spoke_sets.asp

So the "Clyte H Rear" is the same size as the QS273 motor?

In your opinion, as a noob is this something I shoudl even attempt? People have told me it's really hard to lace an 18" rim to a 273 motor....

synics said:
Rix said:

So the "Clyte H Rear" is the same size as the QS273 motor?

In your opinion, as a noob is this something I shoudl even attempt? People have told me it's really hard to lace an 18" rim to a 273 motor....

No even close. THe H series motors diameter varies between 231mm and 240mm, I don't know how big the qs273 is, but its way bigger than that. Is it called the QS273 because the hub diameter is 273mm? Looking at pics, I thinking this could be the case.

The 273 hubmotor family cannot be spoked to an 18-inch rim (edit: it can be spoked with a custom drilling of steep nipple angles). It can be spoked to a stock 19-inch with difficulty. For a street scooter, the 273 can be ordered with an aluminum cast wheel in the smallest possible tire.

In the standard Chinese catalog listings, the "H" is the height of the magnet when the motor is laying on its side.

The 273 designation is the 273 millimeter diameter of the stator in the hubmotor. A popular hot rod hubmotor for a bicycle frame is the QS 205 H50, which many consider to be the largest hubmotor that most builders would use in a bicycle frame.

The 273 family is expensive and very heavy. It is an appropriate hubmotor for a 50-MPH street scooter or light motorcycle conversion.

Years ago, the Crystalyte H35 was a popular mid-size hub, which had a 35mm wide stator. This is the widest stator that would fit a common 6-speed freewheel. The QS H50 is so wide, it is commonly used with a single-speed freewheel.

spinningmagnets said:
The 273 hubmotor family cannot be spoked to an 18-inch rim. It can be spoked to a 19-inch with difficulty. For a street scooter, the 273 can be ordered with an aluminum cast wheel in the smallest possible tire.

In the standard Chinese catalog listings, the "H" is the height of the magnet when the motor is laying on its side.

The 273 designation is the 273 millimeter diameter of the stator in the hubmotor. A popular hot rod hubmotor for a bicycle frame is the QS 205 H50, which many consider to be the largest hubmotor that most builders would use in a bicycle frame.

The 273 family is expensive and very heavy. It is an appropriate hubmotor for a 50-MPH street scooter or light motorcycle conversion.

Years ago, the Crystalyte H35 was a popular mid-size hub, which had a 35mm wide stator. This is the widest stator that would fit a common 6-speed freewheel. The QS H50 is so wide, it is commonly used with a single-speed freewheel.

hmmmm....well my friends has a CAB motorworks RECON bike with an 18" 1.85 rim wheel and a 273 on it, but I think they had to do custom drilling to get it done.

Is is possible to switch out this spoke an/or nipple without taking the whole wheel off? Because that would be a major pain in the ass. I would have to disconnect the motor from the controller, which means I would have to take the battery and controller out of the frame. It was a momentous effort getting the battery and controller to fit inside the frame. The battery is big, and it took myself and a friend with like all of our strength to wedge it in there. And the second I got it in, I said to myself, crap I'm never going to get that out. I might have to literally cut the frame to get them out so that I could disconnect the phase and hall wires. I don't know that there would be enough slack to take the tire off without doing this.

synics said:
spinningmagnets said:
The 273 hubmotor family cannot be spoked to an 18-inch rim. It can be spoked to a 19-inch with difficulty. For a street scooter, the 273 can be ordered with an aluminum cast wheel in the smallest possible tire.

hmmmm....well my friends has a CAB motorworks RECON bike with an 18" 1.85 rim wheel and a 273 on it, but I think they had to do custom drilling to get it done.

Is is possible to switch out this spoke an/or nipple without taking the whole wheel off? Because that would be a major pain in the ass. I would have to disconnect the motor from the controller, which means I would have to take the battery and controller out of the frame. It was a momentous effort getting the battery and controller to fit inside the frame. The battery is big, and it took myself and a friend with like all of our strength to wedge it in there. And the second I got it in, I said to myself, crap I'm never going to get that out. I might have to literally cut the frame to get them out so that I could disconnect the phase and hall wires. I don't know that there would be enough slack to take the tire off without doing this.
Short spokes and radial lacing is most likely how they laced to the 18" Rim, but getting a 2 cross lace pattern with the 273 on an 18, as Spinner eluded to, may not work.

Disregard my last. here is a pic of Luke's bike with a 273 laced to an 18" rim, its 2X lace pattern, he did have the holes drilled at steep angles to make it work.

Attachments

• Luke Nyx.jpg
    Luke Nyx.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 1,365
The 273mm diameter hubmotor stator can be ordered in a cast aluminum wheel in moto tires as small as 13-inch. Also 14", 16", and 17"...the cast wheels allow the use of tubeless tires, which I recommend.

Something to be aware of is that if you want a hubmotor that is beefier than the common 205mm stators, but not quite as heavy as the 273mm diameter units, QS now has a 260mm (available in cast wheels as small as 12-inch)...

If you desire an 18-inch rim and tire, you might consider the option of a 260mm diameter stator.

4000W-Hub-Motor-2.jpg

edit: Thank you Rix for posting the pic of Lukes 273 in the previous post. I have a tremendous respect for Luke and I like him very much. That being said, I would not recommend putting an 18-inch rim on a QS 273. I would rather use the cast 17-inch wheel, and use a taller tire to get the same outer diameter. To be fair, I'm not going to build a 273, so reading anything I wrote about this is pretty much an armchair discussion about theory.

That being said, I would not recommend putting an 18-inch rim on a QS 273.

Yep, I get that, look at the gnarly steep angles of the spokes in relation to the rim and hub motor flange. Almost looks like the load would be more lateral than vertical at those angles. Can't say how that wheel will hold up. Knowing Luke, he will push the boundaries and find the edge.

Rix said:
Disregard my last. here is a pic of Luke's bike with a 273 laced to an 18" rim, its 2X lace pattern, he did have the holes drilled at steep angles to make it work.

Looks like 1x to me? Am I missing something?

DogDipstick said:
Rix said:

Looks like 1x to me? Am I missing something?

You are correct, I should have looked closer, the spokes only cross once between the flange and rim. Reiterates one Spinner has been saying all along, cant do a 2X with a 18" rim and the QS273.

Back