2 days, 186km, 19.1AH.....

Diamondback

10 kW
just got home from a 2 day ride, pulling my trailer loaded up with about 30kg of camping gear.

did 70km on day one, 116km on day two.

for local Aussies, we rode from The Enterance to Spencer via mangrove mountain on day one,
and from Spencer to merrylands west on day two. camped at a little camp ground on the Hawkesburry river at Spencer

i will post pics of the two days routes shortly. haven't got that info off the Garmin yet.

edit: just got the data from the GPS..

the route of day one.
routeforday1_zpsb2b68477.jpg

elevation profile for day 1
elevationprofilefordayone_zps188bd769.jpg

route for day two.
routeforday2_zpsb6e0f8a0.jpg

elevation profile for day 2
elevationprofileforday2_zpsa7a0e1b3.jpg

the below is the total of the two days, i did not reset the CA on the first day, just recharged the batteries.
did this ride with my 12s2p 16ah lipo powered trike.

IMG_1548_zps922f508d.jpg

IMG_1550_zps7030d790.jpg

IMG_1551_zps16adeebd.jpg

IMG_1552_zps2981216e.jpg

IMG_1553_zpsdf665253.jpg

i seem to be missing a decimal place here !
maximum speed seen was 63kmh on a big descent.

IMG_1546_zps619c6c0e.jpg

pic of the outfit. i have some solar panels on the trailer for charging 2 usb batteries,
so i can charge the phone and bike computers each night.

there were some very steep climbs on our route. some hills were 13.2%...

Jason.

Awesome effort. Well done. Pretty cool to see the human and battery stats.

My longest ride was doing the round the bay in melbourne (210km). For some crazy reason I did it unassisted. By the end my legs were still okay, but my backside was ... not. I have never tried a recumbent trike, and always could not understand people wanting to be that low in the traffic, but I must admit I did spare some time thinking it may hae been a bit kinder to my backside.

The other striking memories from the trip was how great it was to see the same scenery I have seen a hundred times before, but at the slower pace of a bike. I saw things I never saw before.
And finally the awesome sense of achievement at realising you have just created one of the lasting memories of your life.

Again congratulations on completing an epic ride.

That is awesome. Is that the Catrike Road model with rear shock?

I love the fact that one can travel so far on just 20Ah!

thanks for the comments guys.

im starting to recover now. had a shower and a meal. now its time to unpack the gear, and hang the wet tent and fly up to dry.
it rained on us when we were camping. i stayed nice and toasty in my little tent though.

the trike is a HP Velotechnik Scorpion FS. it has full suspension, and i was very very grateful of that fact on some of the unsealed roads we had to go on.

yeah, im really happy that i managed to do this trip. day two is my PB for a single day. 113km, previous best was 81km in a single day.

i have now edited the first post to include the route data and elevation profiles.

i have to do some decent rides in the next 3 weekends. i am planning a 1200km 3 week ride in may.
leaving home on may 4th, and ending on the gold coast, so i need the training. im not taking the most direct route for this trip,
that's why it's a bit longer than the 1000km it would normally be.

thanks again.

Jason.

Great wh/km number. Must have took some pedaling to get that. The combination of pedaling and electric can result in great numbers, but doesn't happen at higher speeds uphill or on the flat. To me, once riding a scenic road, going slower is well worth it to really take in the view. At 30 mph, you just spend the whole ride scanning for glass in your path.

60kph downhill with the trailer could have been sketchy, on the wrong bike. But I bet it was fine on that rig. Excellent setup for cross country riding.

the H is human watt hours... yep, i put in MORE from my legs than the motor.....
i have the thun BB installed, and run the CA in torque mode.

i have it set for 390w per NM from the torque sensor.and i have a 9NM offset for the torque sensor.
so i have to put in 9nm, BEFORE i get ANY assist from the motor.

the trailer was perfect. tracked perfectly straight and true. apart from the occasional rattle, you could almost forget it was there.
on most of my rides, i get lower whrs per km, but not when pulling the trailer..... sans trailer i usually get into the 3wh per km range.

lots and lots of pedaling, at slower speeds. give plenty of time to smell the roses as it were...

Jason

Diamondback said:
the H is human watt hours... yep, i put in MORE from my legs than the motor.....
i have the thun BB installed, and run the CA in torque mode.
Thanks. Me too, I put in more power than the motor up to 32kph on my mountain bike.
That "thun BB" sounds interesting. How accurate is it in your experience? I know nothing about it. Do you have a link?

it's amazingly accurate. Justin has them on the ebikes.ca web page.

combined with the V3 CA, it's great, i have mine set up to be a true PAS with assist based on the pedal effort.
it's very much like the bionx system, but im not locked into expensive batteries and spare parts.

and as a bonus, i can get the human input numbers after each ride.
before i only had the data from the garmin edge.

http://www.ebikes.ca/store/store_CA.php
at the bottom of the page.

Jason.

Excellent, I'll look into it. I have always wanted a TRUE pedal assist ebike. I would love to get rid of the throttle.

You didn't see my other comment. What's the deal with the 631kph maximum speed? A bug in CA?

sorry, missed that.

it's either a bug and the decimal is missing, as the fastest speed i actually saw was 63kmh,
or it's a glitch and the CA misread the signals from the speed sensor. this can happen if the reed switch is bouncing.
could have happened on some of the washboard dirt roads we encountered on the ride.

with the thun and V3 CA, you can indeed do away with the throttle, though i personally wouldn't.
what happens if you have a chain break ? if you cant pedal, you won't go. i have left the throttle attached, and just don't use it.
it's there for those times when i might need it due to mechanical issues.

Jason.

Diamondback said:
what happens if you have a chain break ? if you cant pedal, you won't go. i have left the throttle attached, and just don't use it.
I understand. It's a risk I'm willing to take in order to get back both of my front and rear derailleurs.

Yesterday I did 7 wh/km with speed average of 20-30km on my Catrike 700 with a Bionx system.

The profile to the wind on these recumbent trikes is awesome.

If I heavy pedal on my Mountain bike at 50kph I'm using 20-25wh/km
on the trike at 40kph I'm using 10-12 wh/km :)

Tommy L sends..... \\m//
22goc4.jpg

just noticed that the route for day 2 is missing :?:

i will fix that when i get home from work tonight....

Jason.

Impressive and thanks for sharing! Take care out there.....

Diamondback said:
with the thun and V3 CA, you can indeed do away with the throttle, though i personally wouldn't.

Jason.

You could carry a chain tool to remove the broken link (also useful to shorten the chain if your derailleur breaks). It doesn't take much more time than repairing a puncture. Alternatively, could you just tie the broken chain off in a way that would let you still register torque if no revs? :?

And good luck on your big trip! :D

good tips there.

the way the thun BB works, it wont trigger the motor unless there is rotation, not torque only.

thanks for the well wishes.
i will be posting up a thread once we get going, and will try to update it as often as possible,
but i can't guarantee cell reception on the trip.

Jason.

Back