2000w electric scooter 60v 12ah battery failure and throttle problem

Jacobhagstrom

100 µW
Hey,
I have a 2000w electric scooter that has a 60v 12ah battery and i have some issues with it sadly, so i charged it like usually do everynight.
The next morning i jumped on and it worked like a sharm, but after 8 min the scooter stopped working when i went to hard on the throttle but if i gave it just a little bit of gas it ran fine and i made it home and took the battery inside and charged it like usuall, then the next day i went driving again and then my 20A fuse exploded so i put in a new one and that did the same, so i took the battery inside to charge it and the next day one of the batterys on the batterypack had expanded alot and it didn't look pretty, idk what to do right now... what do i do and why did this happen anybody got a clue? /:

That sounds like you have a short circuit somewhere.

Could you post a few pictures so we can have a better understanding of what's going on?

Jacobhagstrom said:
I have a 2000w electric scooter that has a 60v 12ah battery and i have some issues with it
Issues with the battery?

Or issues with the scooter?

What specific issues?

A complete list, including the situations under which they occured, and events leading up to them, would be helpful.

The next morning i jumped on and it worked like a sharm, but after 8 min the scooter stopped working when i went to hard on the throttle but if i gave it just a little bit of gas it ran fine and i made it home
That usually means the battery has cells that are no longer working correctly, that don't stay balanced with the rest of them, so the BMS (or controller) cuts out to protect the cells from further damage when the voltage on those cells drops too low.

my 20A fuse exploded so i put in a new one and that did the same,
Where specifically is this fuse?

Is it on the input of the battery?

Or is it on the input of the controller?

Or the input of the box that provides power to the lights?

Or somewhere else?

Where it is can help point to what is blowing it, because something is drawing too much current, and is probably shorted. There are many possibilities.

one of the batterys on the batterypack had expanded alot
That means that battery is dead, and needs to be replaced. It's possible the others are also damaged, even if they are not swollen (yet).

If it is an SLA battery set (5 12v batteries wired in series), then if it is low in voltage the others may be being overcharged (or if they are low, it was overcharged), which can damage them. SLA batteries in series don't typically have a way to balance themselves, so as they age they get unbalanced and eventually damaged from this.

Lithium batteries that swell up after charging can be dangerous, as they can be prone to fire. (sometimes spontaneously, usually only when current is flowing either charge or discharge).

Either way, the battery will need to be replaced.

The other problem(s) we'll need specific details to help with.

Thanks for a fast reply,
I don't really know what is causing the issue but i think the battery is the problem, i have ordered a new battery but i'm worried that that one is going to stop working as well,
The fuse goes when i give the scooter to much gas and the battery is 1 year old if that could be the reason that the battery expanded,

One day it worked great and the other day after charging the battery had expanded and the issues occured, could it be that the fuse is blowing because of that the battery is broken and giving to much power at ones?

When the battery is fully charged it works like a charm for 5 min then the gas handel stops responding

The fuse box is right next to the battery and connected 15 cm from the battery via a wire

Jacobhagstrom said:
I don't really know what is causing the issue but i think the battery is the problem, i have ordered a new battery but i'm worried that that one is going to stop working as well,
The battery is definitely *a* problem, with swollen cells, but it doesn't sound like the only problem, and may only be a symptom.

The fuse goes when i give the scooter to much gas
Then that means something in the scooter's controller or motor has a problem, and is drawing too much current now, vs before.

Other than the battery, what specifically changed between when it worked normally, and now?

Something had to have happened to cause this, and knowing what exactly happened will lead to figuring out what's actually wrong.

If the *only* thing that you know of that changed was the battery failing, then the battery probably failed because of whatever is causing the fuse to blow.

Any detail at all might help narrow it down. For instance if the scooter was rained on, or sat in the sun, or fell over, or crashed, or a voodoo spell was cast on it by a coworker, ;) etc.

If literally every single time it's used it is used in exactly the same way, and nothing at all was ever even the tiniest bit different before it failed to after it failed, then there's nothing to go on.

But if *anything* was different before vs after, it could help.

For example, you originally just said the the fuse "exploded". Exploding is pretty severe, and indicates a massive overcurrent that heated the fuse so hot that it turned into gas and blew bits all over the place.

But later you said the fuse "blew" (a more normal type of failure) and that it only happens when you push the throttle too hard. (give too much gas).

That's a lot more specific, and is helpful, where the first was not.

So that kind of detail will help us help you.

One day it worked great and the other day after charging the battery had expanded and the issues occured, could it be that the fuse is blowing because of that the battery is broken and giving to much power at ones?
No. The battery doesn't give power, the controller takes it from the battery as needed.

Even if it weren't, then the battery being broken would result in *less* power available. ;)

When the battery is fully charged it works like a charm for 5 min then the gas handel stops responding
Well, when the fuse blows it will always stop working because there is no power anymore. ;)

The fuse box is right next to the battery and connected 15 cm from the battery via a wire
Then that means that something powered by the battery is blowing the fuse. Since that's everything other than the battery, it doesn't eliminate much. :/

The thing is that when the throttle stops working the fuse hasn't blow so i can drive it around for 5 min then it becomes less responsive and the throttle just stops and works and then it works again and then it stops working, when i watch the battery indekator on the handel it goes from 100% charge to 0 when i use the throttle. Sorry for late reply

Jacobhagstrom said:
The thing is that when the throttle stops working the fuse hasn't blow
Ok; it's hard to tell exactly what's going on, as you have said a few different things, trickling out symptoms one or two at a time. It would help more if you tell us *everything* that has happened, and every step of what you experience before, during, and after problems happen.

so i can drive it around for 5 min then it becomes less responsive and the throttle just stops and works and then it works again and then it stops working, when i watch the battery indekator on the handel it goes from 100% charge to 0 when i use the throttle.
There's another set of symptoms you hadn't given before.

That says any or all of these things are problems:

-- your battery is not charged enough to make it work.

-- Your battery is in poor enough condition that it can't handle the load the system puts on it.

-- Your system has something wrong with it that draws so much current that the battery, even if it's healthy and full, can't handle it.

The last would also explain the fuse problem.

But it is probably more than one thing.

*Something* must have happened between when the system worked normally, and when it stopped working normally and began to have these problems.

Several somethings probably happened, leading up to this, and it sounds like one problem started after one thing happened, then another problem added to that after another thing happened, etc.

If you sit down and make a timeline for yourself of *exactly* what you've done, what trips you made, what behaviors you saw and exactly when each happened vs when each thing was done, trips were made, etc., you may see a pattern that helps to diagnose this without just swapping stuff out.

Without knowing what really happened, and *all* of the problems that are occuring, I can only give you the same general pointers, and recommend you replace your battery since it is definitely damaged (swollen) and probably unsafe to use. (lithium batteries that swell up are a fire risk, even if not being used).

It would also help if you posted pictures of what you have, showing markings on batteries, etc..

And if you would list exactly what is written on the batteries, controller, etc.

Hi again,
Today i got my new battery for the scooter and i put the battery in the scooter and it was almost fully charged, i drow for 3km then the scooter started with the throttle problem again "if i go easy on the throttle it works but if i go all in on the throttle or go up a hill the throttle just stops working but if i let the throttle go and crank the gas up slowly it works" it really buggs me that a 1100 dollar scooter has these issues :|

When the battery is att 60v everything works fine but when the battery hitts below 56v the problem starts again

Even when it's fully charged and i twist the throttle all the way the battery meter goes from 100% to 20% but it still works fine and works for 10 minutes then when the battery level shows 70% and i go full throttle the battery meter goes from 70% to 0% and when that happens the throttle stops working, could it be something like low voltage protection?

Back