3 New Pumas and New Puma Controller

knoxie

1 MW
Hello

Well I finally got the first of the Pumas tested! using the BMX as my trusty test machine I have attached the new controller alongside the existing xlyte controller, I removed the BMX wheel and swapped the motor innards for the first of the new Pumas.

These new motors are made by the same factory as the BMX ones, so they have the nice durable gear in the wheel and decent quality winds and build.

The first motor tested in the batch is the 500W 250 RPM motor, all the new motors come fitted with Xltye controller connections and Puma motor connections, this makes it easy for me as I want to test the new motors on the Puma controller and the Xlyte controller.

The 1st motor combo was the 500W 250 RPM, the factory have beefed up the phase wires on these motors and the overall quality is very good, they still insist of thread locking the covers on grrrr this is a pain as there is always one screw that wont budge, I had to drill one of them out in order to free the drive mechanism.

I got it all swapped over and fitted the torque arm, by the way the stock stainless torque arm takes a real battering when running a 20 inch wheel, its just about ok, any more power and I would run 2 of them on each side or get a thicker one made.

Here are the Test results

I did a fixed circuit both times and used the GPS to compare both runs alongside the Watts up to gauge the Amps used and power consumed.

500W - 250 RPM Puma connected to The new 36-72V 35A Puma (silver controller) BMX - 20 Inch wheel. Tested at 37V (LIPO).

17mph on the flat, good hard acceleration with a lot of torque, motor running very smooth and quiet.

1.2KW Peak power at 34.6A.

500W - 250 RPM Puma connected to The Xlyte 36-72V 35A (Black controller) BMX - 20 Inch wheel. Tested at 37V (LIPO).

18-19mph on the flat, good hard acceleration, slightly less torque than when connected to the New Puma controller, and a little more lumpy.

1.25KW Peak Power at 35A.

I also found that the old Puma phase colour match isnt the same, when I tried to connect the new Puma to the Xlyte controller ALA the BMX it didn't work, I had to swap the phases around and hit the reverse on the controller in order to get it to spin properly, see below.

New Puma Front 500W - 250 RPM connections to Xlyte controller.

Phases - Controller to Motor.

Yellow - Blue
Blue - Green
Green - Yellow.

Hall colours were a direct match, the no load amps in both cases was about 2.1A or so which seems normal.

So these new motors are looking pretty good, I will have a play with the phase combinations to see if some work better than others, they look ok though, the new Puma controller seems very nice indeed, it certainly runs the motor smoother than the Xlyte but they are very similar in performance terms, it remains to be seen how reliable it is at 72V that will come in time.

Right the next Test will be on the 500W 320RPM motor, watch this space! all in all its looking pretty good and I am overall impressed with the new controller, its a lot lighter than the Xlyte one as well.

See pics enclosed.

Cheers

Knoxie

Attachments

• img_8112_std.jpg
    img_8112_std.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 4,871
  • img_8110_std.jpg
    img_8110_std.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 4,869
  • img_8092_std.jpg
    img_8092_std.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 4,867
  • img_8109_std.jpg
    img_8109_std.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 4,863
  • img_8106_std.jpg
    img_8106_std.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 4,863
  • img_8100_std.jpg
    img_8100_std.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 4,855
  • img_8093_std.jpg
    img_8093_std.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 4,856
:cry: tears of joy here mate,tears of joy.
thanks for the vital info mate,glad your first impressions are positive too - watching this thread like a mugger at a cashpoint ;)
y, x5? shhhhhh ;) not in the shrine of the puma!!

D

Excellent work Knoxie.
I'm glad they sorted out the wiring situation, I sold a puma to someone who dropped the bike in his van on the way home from me fitting it, it fell on the axle and chopped the lot!
That looks alot better.

how thick are the torque arms they came with? Are the axle flats any better/stronger than they were, and are they still 9.5mm or 10mm now?

Shame indeed about the screws though, I had to drill one out this morning too, and last week I snapped my impact bit off in another :evil:
they need some nice allen bolts in there methinks.

I look foreward to my next puma order :lol:
Are these the same motors he took delivery of a month or so ago?

Sorry to bury you in questions as soon as you walk in the door :wink:

Do the 500W 250 rpm and 500W 320 rpm have different gear ratio?

Does the 350W 250 rpm have the same gear ratio as 500W 250 rpm?

Ypedal said:
Damn.. i want me one of those... soon...

Don't mean to clogg up your thread with other questions.. but how did your X5 testing work out ? i recall you were going to beat on one a while back but then you went MIA..

Hi mate

Yes still not put it on the bike, having too much fun with the Pumas however it may go on the Trek quite soon, I want to run one at 100V+ though.

Cheers

Knoxie

deecanio said:
:cry: tears of joy here mate,tears of joy.
thanks for the vital info mate,glad your first impressions are positive too - watching this thread like a mugger at a cashpoint ;)
y, x5? shhhhhh ;) not in the shrine of the puma!!

D

Hi D

Yes the motor are sweet and are just like the BMX motor, the torque arms will need beefing up, we can get that sorted though, the new controller is great and seems to perform better.

So far so good!!

Knoxie

Jozzer said:
Excellent work Knoxie.
I'm glad they sorted out the wiring situation, I sold a puma to someone who dropped the bike in his van on the way home from me fitting it, it fell on the axle and chopped the lot!
That looks alot better.

how thick are the torque arms they came with? Are the axle flats any better/stronger than they were, and are they still 9.5mm or 10mm now?

Shame indeed about the screws though, I had to drill one out this morning too, and last week I snapped my impact bit off in another :evil:
they need some nice allen bolts in there methinks.

I look foreward to my next puma order :lol:
Are these the same motors he took delivery of a month or so ago?

Sorry to bury you in questions as soon as you walk in the door :wink:

Hi

Yes they need to ditch the screws and fit cap heads, the flats are 10mm, I dont know why they insist on thread locking the covers, they never move? once out I actually copper slip them!

These are the same motors Mark got a month ago, its just took me a month to get around to testing them, I have plenty of time now to test some more so if not this weekend, Monday I will do the next one.

Glad you are enjoying your Puma, the new controller is great news and a fantastic alternative to the Xlyte.

Cheers

Knoxie

The7 said:
Do the 500W 250 rpm and 500W 320 rpm have different gear ratio?

Does the 350W 250 rpm have the same gear ratio as 500W 250 rpm?

Hi

Yes the gear ratio is the same its all in the windings. It will be interesting to see how they perform, I should be able to make some great evaluative tests.

Cheers

Knoxie

fechter said:
Nice..

What kind of FETs are in the new controller?

Hi Richard

I will take the end off the controller if I can although it is Marks and I wont do it unless he says so, I am interested in its reliability at 72V, it certainly runs the motor very smoothly and its more efficient than the xlyte on the same trip, I am going to do the test again tomorrow and see if I can measure the difference, a reliable 72V Puma rig will be a very hard act to beat.

Cheers

Knoxie

Great report, many thanx!

FWIW, you might try using a heat-gun on the next set of screws... locker softens easily with a bit of heat and the exposed bosses will warm easily.

Hi M8

Yes thanks for that I will try it next time as I dont want to damage the covers or the motors when drilling them out, they ought to drop them and use cap heads though, it would look nice as well as being practical.

I will try heat next time, a few more runs with this setup then time to flip the BMX up again and do the other motors, I think the motors are going to be quite similar, its the controller that I think is going to work the best, I am quite hopeful that it will run 72V nicely with these motors, something the xlyte controller struggles with, this controller has been designed to run at 72V so it should work well.

This may make 1 person on here quite happy methinks! ha ha. vroooom

Knoxie

Hehe, Marks only got 1 controller so far hasn't he? Untill more arrive YOU will be the happy one I think :lol:

good luck for the 72v run, fingers crossed for you!

Hi

Yes thats true! I wont do any 72V tests until I have tested the 3 motors and have all of the data down for them, I am pretty hopeful of a good 72V test, we shall see though.

Cheers

Knoxie

apparently "good things come to those who wait".
im just hoping that applies to those who wait but moan and bitch all the while also :wink:

hehe, very excited here again :)

D

deecanio said:
apparently "good things come to those who wait".
im just hoping that applies to those who wait but moan and bitch all the while also :wink:

Me too! :D

Back