30-40 amp capable charging for my ebike

Twistydave

100 µW
Southeast, Asheville NC and Charleston SC
Please can someone give me some advice on how I can find/ build capabilities to charge at Tesla charging / e-vehicles public charging stations. I’ve gonna a lot of negative responses asking around. If you don’t have anything positive to contribute just don’t say anything.

What cell chemistry and pack size are you thinking of? LiFePO4 cells can generally charge at 1C, Lithium Ion can charge at 1C-1.5C. The graphene lipos I have can charge at 5C. To charge at 40A, you need a pretty big pack if using LiFePO4 or Lithium Ion (40Ah pack and charge for an hour at 1C), but only require a 8Ah pack if constructed of high quality lipo cells (charge in 12 minutes at 5C). You just have to be able to accept the risks and dangers, or the weight penalty, of the cell chemistry you choose.

Please can someone give me some advice on how I can find/ build capabilities to charge at Tesla charging / e-vehicles public charging stations. I’ve gonna a lot of negative responses asking around. If you don’t have anything positive to contribute just don’t say anything.
What a surprise. A punk ass request for advice about implementing a punk ass charging strategy.

I actually hope you can make it work. Should be good for some real world comedy. (I would love to see a Tesla driver trying to deal with waiting for an e-bike on "his" charger.)

Last edited:
What is the size of your OBC in kW? How many kWh of battery do you have at what voltage? If you implement the correct connections fo use a public AC charging station you would be limited to the max output of your OBC. Would it be possible yes. Just have an OBC that can output 30-40A.
Later floyd

For charging at AC Charging stations, you can use the vertiv R48-2000e3 or the eltek Flatpack S 48V 1800W .
I charge with two Huawei R4875G5 connected in series, giving me up to 80A charge current.
20231017_175406.jpgScreenshot_20231017_175055.jpg

Make sure your charger can accept 208-240VAC. Then buy one of these to charge at J1772 stations. You're not going to be able to charge at a Tesla supercharger. For Tesla destination chargers, you could buy a Tesla to J1772 adapter and plug that into your J1772 to Nema 5-15 adapter, but that's a lot of bulk to carry around.
1698870901448.png

Back