3000W alibaba hub motor good?

Flux linkage will be a little bit 'lumpy', as the phases will not all 'see' the same shape/strength field. I suppose it could cause larger parasitic currents if delta configured, but the effect on a wye motor would be marginal at most. Small decrease in efficiency. Bionx motors all have gaps between magnets, although they are evenly placed around the ring.

0gri said:
Flux linkage will be a little bit 'lumpy', as the phases will not all 'see' the same shape/strength field. I suppose it could cause larger parasitic currents if delta configured, but the effect on a wye motor would be marginal at most. Small decrease in efficiency. Bionx motors all have gaps between magnets, although they are evenly placed around the ring.

It's not the flux I'm worried about, but the effect on timing. It's going to create some noise and inefficiency. How much is the only question. I had a motor that got a bit noisier after some relatively small pieces were broken off of the end of one magnet, and that was without the skewed timing that resets with about a 1° pause once each revolution.

need to get myself a gear puller, then I will open it up and get some pics.

Hopefully this weekend, it's hard to get stuff done in the afternoon with a 7-month old active little boy

Andy

I have just got this motor.
I have the 12mm Flats version, but if something doesn't fit, i make it fit.

I just did a quick test run, at ~52V / 60 AMP. hit 51 kmh on 26" Wheels.
(20AH LiFePo 48V / LYEN 18FET)
Not too bad of a Motor, but the phase wires got warm quick.

Yeah, that sounds really bad, It shouldn't take more than 30A@52V to reach 50kph. Either phase wiring wrong, or it's a very slow wind motor, in which case the phase wires shouldn't get warm.

I had to take my wheel to my LBS to get it trued and the spokes tightened up. The wheel was way out of round and vibrated like crazy due to the imbalance. $20 later and it's mostly true. There is a defect in the rim where it's slightly warped from welding. It should not cause any issues, but it's noticeable when spinning it.

wesnewell said:
Yeah, that sounds really bad, It shouldn't take more than 30A@52V to reach 50kph. Either phase wiring wrong, or it's a very slow wind motor, in which case the phase wires shouldn't get warm.
That was just my Peak reading/controller setting. My things are not mounted right to watch while riding.
I will report when my build is finished

that doesn't really sound right..

I haven't been able to test mine yet as I don't have a battery however, 13.8KV I would have thought that a 26" wheel with a 2.1" tyre is about 2068mm circumference.. so:
60V x 13.8 KV = 828RPM
828RPM x 2068mm/rev = 1712m / min = 102km/h (max)

Something wrong with my math? or perhaps not 13.8KV??.. (that'll be sad since I have little 19" MC Rims.)

Zombiess you tested yours yet?

Andy

Animalector said:
that doesn't really sound right..

I haven't been able to test mine yet as I don't have a battery however, 13.8KV I would have thought that a 26" wheel with a 2.1" tyre is about 2068mm circumference.. so:
60V x 13.8 KV = 828RPM
828RPM x 2068mm/rev = 1712m / min = 102km/h (max)

Something wrong with my math? or perhaps not 13.8KV??.. (that'll be sad since I have little 19" MC Rims.)

Zombiess you tested yours yet?

Andy

I only measured the KV of the motor so far. I don't have it installed in anything. Honestly I am not comfortable installing it with the stock wiring since it's so small. The wheel being totally out of round sucked too, but that's Chinese quality so it's to be expected. No idea when I'll try to ride it, maybe in a few months.

I got mine from a local dealer in Austria
I'll report back when I got my new rim and new tires

For anyone considering one of these you might want to think about getting a Crystalyte 40xx motor. The Crystalyte allows you to run a multi speed freewheel. Just like the Cromotor, this is single speed only.

I need to do some testing, but I just received 2 genesis frames and have 2 Farfle swing arms. I can also put it on my fast kids MTB based clown bike for some testing. The wire size is my biggest gripe, tiny phase wires. These would also be much nicer if they could run multi gear freewheels vs single speed. With the high kv of this motor you do not want to install it in anything larger than a 17" moped rim because it will kill the efficiency and hurt you on hill climbs. As a mid drive it could seriously rock. For a hub setup you will probably want to run an 18 FET IRFB4110 controller at 75V or a 24 FET controller for higher voltage. Based on my higher KV hub motor experiences it will be an amp hog, but with good batteries and a high current controller (and phase wire upgrade) it looks like it could work well.

If you do order, please pay close attention to my posts so you receive what you want. Simple communication is key to success. Always double check everything. Be prepared to wait about a month from the time you order until you receive the motor.

All this chatter makes me want to get my tire mounted and test it now, but I have been busy with my greyborg warp from which is sooooo much fun to ride.

bugmenot said:
I bought the 5000w version see aliexpress times

That would work if you have 190mm dropouts on your bike and have no need for a rear brake or freewheel attachment... :p

neptronix said:
bugmenot said:
I bought the 5000w version see aliexpress times

That would work if you have 190mm dropouts on your bike and have no need for a rear brake or freewheel attachment... :p

Well alright, I've been wanting to hear a bit on this myself. An excellent opportunity for a few more words (Or many if someone has them) on adapting those dropouts and the brake issues.

well, heres my ride sporting this motor:

9WIgtomh.jpg

more pictures here

i have not had time for extensive testing, but it doen't look to bad (for the price)

but here in austria it's quite cold right now, i will report back in spring

for now it hits 50kmh easy, with a bit of time i got to 62kmh.

Controller settings (for now)
5RMXy.png

(48V LifePo)

50-60km/h is nothing special even for a geared drive. My mac motor on my little brompton bike (of 21kg) can do that.

Any way you can push the motor to reach something like 80-100km/h? And what's the efficiency like at 50km/h? On my geared drive I pump about 1100W to keep this speed.

That's 62kph on 48V and only 36A max. IOW's only using half power. It should reach 100kph if you double the voltage and amperage. Something that would blow your little motor to shreds in seconds.

This is a high KV hub motor and not well suited for setups that use larger tire diameters. Like most high KV hub motors they are more at home in smaller diameter wheels. 20" BMX, 16-18" moped, etc.

Back