36V 30Ah battery from Aliexpress

Eltommos

1 µW
I might have made a fatal error in ordering a 36V 30Ah ebike battery from Aliexpress - see link below

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004271295770.html?spm=a2g0o.store_pc_groupList.8148356.1.6c2e4bcdS7P5cX&pdp_npi=2%40dis%21GBP%21%EF%BF%A1359.93%21%EF%BF%A1197.96%21%EF%BF%A1197.96%21%21%21%21%40211b88ee16731665220633072efc97%2112000028584490810%21sh

I ordered without checking the number of cells contained in the pack. The Samsung IRN18650 35E cells have a nominal capacity 3500mAh. But there are only 50 cells in the pack arranged as 10S5P which would equate to 17.5Ah not 30Ah as ordered. To achieve 30Ah - 90 cells arranged as 10S9P would be needed.

After ordering I then questioned the seller on how it's possible to achieve a 30Ah capacity with only 50 cells - the reply back was 'It's achieved with Unique Technology'

I'm aiming to test the capacity when I have received the battery using a Coloumeter and will open a dispute with the seller if as I expect the Capacity is not as described.

I would be grateful for any comment regarding whether it's possible to achieve a higher Ah capacity with any unique technology and also what are my chances of getting a refund if it's the battery is not as described?

I paid using a credit card and may have to request a chargeback if needed.

Note - some negative feedback on Aliexpress for this seller highlights the above issue where this has happened on other orders. I should have read this before ordering.

Many thanks

Eltommos

No technology allows capacity increase like this. If they state the cell number and type then ali might think that you knew what you bought and shouldn’t be compensated, not true of course but i’ve had similar problems in disputes. Therefore i think you start the dispute as soon as you’ve gotten the package, not earlier.

Your chances of refund is good, even better if paid by paypal.

One thing to note is that you need to be very clear when explaining your case, the staff handling claims at ali don’t understand even simple technical stuff. Pics showing capacity measurement, video with charging or discharge measurements, information that is bulletproof and speaks for itself is best. Be careful with the claim dates and progress in the ali system so that it’s not too late to answer and your case gets thrown out.

If you have a charger with charge Ah measurement then this can be used to show the battery capacity (discharge completely and charge until full for correct reading.)

Good luck!

My best advice, always read the reviews. I’d never order from a seller as poorly reviewed. There are a number of reviews from across the globe indicating BS Ah and bogus cells. Not to be cruel but I’m one that believe there are no 10s5p brand name cell packs for less than $375-$450. Anything less counterfeit cells, steel ribbon, and $5 BMS.

Best wishes for a successful refund!

Back