48-72 Regen capable 48-72v controller?

jkrienert

1 mW
Does the controller shown in the attached images support Regen? This unit was originally installed on a Numi Elite Quadhopper 840 that was manufactured in 2015. I bought this EV used in a debilitated state (dead SLA).

This vehicles weight and aero, along with the hilly terrain it will be used in, seem to make it a good candidate for regen. I've found one post on DIYElectricCar that discusses this unit, but nothing conclusive I could gather about regen.

I've built a new lithium battery for the EV. It is capable of receiving regenerative braking power equivalent to what the onboard 12" 255f 72v hub motor can provide. Which, Ive only estimated based on its constant 1490w and momentary 3000w + peak ratings. Note, the battery is maintained by an Original Orion 48S Revision E (Etwert Sys.).

I'm including a few photos of the internals for some of the circuit boards pad labeling, since that seems like additional information that might help determine if this controller supports regen of any sort.

Attachments

• PXL_20220726_145107960.jpg
    PXL_20220726_145107960.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 13
  • PXL_20230721_202941109~2.jpg
    PXL_20230721_202941109~2.jpg
    898.4 KB · Views: 14
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    803.1 KB · Views: 13
  • PXL_20220726_145053269.jpg
    PXL_20220726_145053269.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Unfortunatley the pad names may not correspond with the same names on other controllers for function, but if they do you can check some of the other big controller threads, or the ones I've documented (with "controller" in the title).

Almost all functions in these controllers are activated by grounding the signal. You can try connecting the unused signal pads to switches (one per pad), with the other side of each switch connected to the GND pads. Then close the controller up and put it back on the vehicle, power it on, and use it. Then try one switch at a time to see how or if it changes the operation.

The usual functions controllers have that aren't always connected are "three speed switches", reverse, brake, walk, antitheft. There could be others.

Brake functions vary. Most are on/off, so you get whatever braking force the controller is capable of or programmed for in full as soon as the function is engaged. A very few use variable braking force, so engaging the function turns the throttle into a brake control. Even fewer have a separate analog brake input. Most won't brake down past a certain speed, or above some other speed, neither one of which is user-controllable (except in a very few user-programmable types); what that speed is you'd have to find out by testing.

Keep in mind that the controller could be damaged by the use of a function during operation, but it's not that likely.

Note that if you want control over the braking force and this one doens't have that option, you'd have to replace the controller with one that does. I'd recommend an FOC type if you do, since you'd get control over the braking force and also get torque control over the motor rather than just speed control (probalby what this controller has).

Back