48v battery options

jdmfreek

1 mW
so i built myself an e bike 48v 1000w
i have about 650 miles on a 48v 9ah sla setup and have grown tired of the weight.
now i mainly use it for work wich is only 5 miles away so i dont need much.
i was thinking two ZIPPY Flightmax 8000mAh 6S1P 30C
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__16228__ZIPPY_Flightmax_8000mAh_6S1P_30C.html
but to be honest i do not what equipment i will need to charge properly.

yea I'm not so sure about that setup, but with little research into other people's thought's an impression's of the battery I'd be carful with that purchase. Just Saying :|

VapingMonky said:
yea I'm not so sure about that setup, but with little research into other people's thought's an impression's of the battery I'd be carful with that purchase. Just Saying :|

any suggestions ? i want something lighter but dont want to spend $500

What is you budget? Those two batts only get you 44V pretty whimpy. You could order a custom battery 13s2p 5Ah which would get about 5 miles full throttle. If you pedal it might just make the grade. Much safer, cheap charger and short charge time. It would fit in an underseat pack. But without understanding your budget it's hard to make a suggestion.

$275 will get you a battery from China, from a trusted source. Check out Aliexpress. Many here can confirm if the supplier you choose is reliable or not. You cn get a 9-10Ah battery in a case with charger for $275. A custom pack could be a bit less.

And recently HK had 5ah 4s packs on sale for $15 each. 3 in series (12s) would be enough for 10 miles at 20mph for $45. But easiest would be 2 6s packs. You don't need 30C. 10C would work fine assuming you have a 26A controller. Still under $100 for 2 of them even if you went to 20C. 12s will get you about 28mph top speed on most 48v 1000W kits. Parallel charge with a 6s rc charger or get a 12s charger. Or buy a bms and use it to charge with a bulk charger.

Lipo is a hobby battery do you really want a battery charging hobby with a volatile side like fire.
But you will need a power supply and a charger plus monitoring device for hvc and lvc just to get started. Oh yes bullet connectors and wire. Plus unplugging and replugging each time to charge. Being very careful not short each time. A hobby for people that have had prior lipo experience.
Careful.

Look at Luna cycle for great cells in a battery. Why get a battery with generic Chinese cells or cheaply made lipo with spaghetti wires and a charging hobby. Plus USA. Plug it in then go ride.
No charging in a barbeque, plus unwire to charge.
250 cycles or 800 cycles.

999zip999 said:
Look at Luna cycle for great cells in a battery. Why get a battery with generic Chinese cells or cheaply made lipo with spaghetti wires and a charging hobby. Plus USA. Plug it in then go ride.
No charging in a barbeque, plus unwire to charge.
just did thank you so much. i was scared to buy out of the country i will give a call on monday

999zip999 said:
Lipo is a hobby battery do you really want a battery charging hobby with a volatile side like fire.
But you will need a power supply and a charger plus monitoring device for hvc and lvc just to get started. Oh yes bullet connectors and wire. Plus unplugging and replugging each time to charge. Being very careful not short each time. A hobby for people that have had prior lipo experience.
Careful.
Every bit of this is just pure bias and wrong. Every battery pack you buy will need a charger if you want to charge it. Put a bms on an rc lipo pack and it charges the same as any battery pack with a bms. And you don't need any special devices for it either. Certainly not a HVC. LVC is already in every controller made and also a part of the BMS. Buld with a bms, and they charge just like any other battery pack made from weak ass flashlight batteries. Yep, you have to watch out for fire though, I had no less than 0 in the almost 5 years I've been using them on ebikes.

jdmfreek said:
just did thank you so much. i was scared to buy out of the country i will give a call on monday
if you decide on RC lipo, buy from one of the 2 HK USA warehouses. Here's a bms you can use with 12s lipo.
https://bmsbattery.com/bmspcm/330-smart-bms-513-cells-in-series-bms-pcm.html#/212-discharge_current-20_40a

Plug and play more cycle life, safer.
Black friday sale Check out in the
New for sale section of E.S.
$330.00 52volt 11ah battery with charger.
High quality cells. The cells are made that way. USA USA USA and black friday sale for a couple days maybe

No matter how good the charger is, no matter how good the BMS (which Hobbyking battery buyers don't use anyway), it won't make the cell better or more stable.

Hobbyking batteries are for powering toys, and they're for well-informed users who don't mind babysitting them. Get an 18650 based pack with integrated BMS and included charger if you want the advantages of lithium batteries without so much risk and maintenance.

Not the cheapest of course, but right now I bet you can buy a 48v lawnmower pretty cheap, that uses a 4 ah battery.

So if you happen to have a lawn....

Two hobby king packs will also work, but as always, never store them or charge them in a place you would not build a fire.

And, look at other US retailers for black Friday sales, before you click buy anywhere.

Echo 58volt 4ah tool pack battery 159.00usd plus charger and a do it youself hook up. If you could get rig a echo housing.
At 58v and maybe a home depot warranty.
To bad sears or somebody doesn't have a 48v hobby battery. Bring the price down.

999zip999 said:
Plug and play more cycle life, safer.
Black friday sale Check out in the
New for sale section of E.S.
$330.00 52volt 11ah battery with charger.
High quality cells. The cells are made that way. USA USA USA and black friday sale for a couple days maybe
what site is this from

wesnewell said:
Here's a bms you can use with 12s lipo.

Wes, do you have this BMS? What is the connector? Is there an app or utility?

Can you explain this...

"Please be noted: you cannot program the BMS without the USB adapter which cost $199USD additionally. The USB adapter is free of charge if you buy 1000pcs smart BMS.

I wish I could link it for you.
If you go to " For sale new " here on E.S. you will find black Friday deals from green machine. There he has a link for sale specials. Plus 85.00 off all batteries.
Black friday so e-mail your desires.

tomjasz said:
Wes, do you have this BMS? What is the connector? Is there an app or utility?

Can you explain this...

"Please be noted: you cannot program the BMS without the USB adapter which cost $199USD additionally. The USB adapter is free of charge if you buy 1000pcs smart BMS.
No. But several people here do. There's several threads on it. I don't know if anyone ever bought the program adapter. It will come programmed the way you order it. I run 24s and have these bms's.
http://bestekpower.com/888v24spcmbmspcbforli-ionli-polymerbatterypack/PCM-D131.html
Bms's for 4.2V cells is quite common these days.

Neighbour down the street had a lipo fire last week a new guy with high speed boats.Lucky he was in the garage. Just smoke damage. Now he has them
In a safe. I told him if not vented if could explode.
The one 4 blocks away happened with a 12 year when dad was gone. This was a real fire. Be Careful.

jdmfreek said:
VapingMonky said:

any suggestions ? i want something lighter but dont want to spend $500

I don't know how handy you are/or how much time you have on your hands but I myself asked the same question an I'm now waiting for a new power supply 30v/10amp an already have a ImaxB6AC v2 an I started buying new/used laptop batteries if you are willing to put the time an research in you could maybe save money in the long haul. O an I bought a 13s BMS gotta Own one always better to be safe then sorry :wink:

Back