48v lifepo4 battery only charging upto 50v

john61ct said:
Again, please do the math for us, actual C-rates in use

i don't know how c rating is calculated

i only know some aspects about batteries. :(

still learning about them. :|

Whoops, forgot we're dealing with LFP here.

No, 3.1V is OK so long as it recovers higher.

Are you sure that BMS is designed for LFP?

Usual cutoff for cheap ones is stupid low, well below 3.0Vpc.

Get one that lets you adjust the setpoints.

john61ct said:
Whoops, forgot we're dealing with LFP here.

No, 3.1V is OK so long as it recovers higher.

Are you sure that BMS is designed for LFP?

Usual cutoff for cheap ones is stupid low, well below 3.0Vpc.

Get one that lets you adjust the setpoints.

yes it is for LFP as seller mentioned and i have noticed.

it does the same as noticed in the data sheet.

thanks for your help my friend.

i will discharge the pack soo low only for 1 to 2 times in a month if needed.

harper said:
See? that's how you learn.

How many cells in parallel, xP15S?

Times the mAh per cell equals pack Ah.

Actual - have you load tested?

or just accepting vendor claimed capacity?

Say 14Ah actual, then 28A is 2C.

john61ct said:
harper said:
See? that's how you learn.

How many cells in parallel, xP15S?

Times the mAh per cell equals pack Ah.

Actual - have you load tested?

or just accepting vendor claimed capacity?

Say 14Ah actual, then 28A is 2C.

my pack is 18ah one

and the cells are of 6ah each(15s 3p config)

i have not capacity checked them as i know that they are not new cells

i have no equipment to load test the cells.

i doesn't even have enough money for buy cells of high quality. :(

thanks for teaching me bro, now i can calculate the C rating :D

john61ct said:
Can you link to the pack?

How about the cells, and/or the BMS separately?

the pack is home made by me.

the cells and bms are bought from seller

Aha, yes secondhand can be dicey.

Search for "3-lamp discharger" that and a timer is all you need for "pretty accurate" load testing,

or very sophisticated CC dummy loads are under $100

Next time be ready to load test upon receipt so you can get a refund if the seller claimed higher than actual.

Also, you may need to carefully watch your balance voltages, most BMS are sub-par in that regard.

john61ct said:
Aha, yes secondhand can be dicey.

Search for "3-lamp discharger" that and a timer is all you need for "pretty accurate" load testing,

or very sophisticated CC dummy loads are under $100

Next time be ready to load test upon receipt so you can get a refund if the seller claimed higher than actual.

Also, you may need to carefully watch your balance voltages, most BMS are sub-par in that regard.

That's the reason. Here, sellers will import old cells from China rewrap them and sell them on local platforms. Refund technique doesn't work as no one is responsible and seller won't even respond after purchase.
No other way to get these cell other then this one way as my budget is low. It cost me around 150$ in total

Start saving your pennies now for when (not if) it needs replacing, if you get more than a year or two be happy.

Also keep researching trusted sources, sometimes even secondhand can be OK.

I would not accept less than 95% SoH for a crappy mfg, 90% is OK for the likes of A123.

eBay / PayPal offers 100% no questions asked refunds if listed as Used and they arrive Not As Described.

No matter what the seller says, they have no choice, even have to pay return shipping.

Even if seller wrote in 40-point bold red "NO RETURNS" that is a meaningless bluff, unless they state "For Parts Only".

Please do not use this excellent policy to scam sellers!

john61ct said:
Start saving your pennies now for when (not if) it needs replacing, if you get more than a year or two be happy.

Also keep researching trusted sources, sometimes even secondhand can be OK.

I would not accept less than 95% SoH for a crappy mfg, 90% is OK for the likes of A123.

eBay / PayPal offers 100% no questions asked refunds if listed as Used and they arrive Not As Described.

No matter what the seller says, they have no choice, even have to pay return shipping.

Even if seller wrote in 40-point bold red "NO RETURNS" that is a meaningless bluff, unless they state "For Parts Only".

Please do not use this excellent policy to scam sellers!

Here in India, import charges are more then 45%of total cost and we have to give bribe for customs to release it.
So, I have bought it locally. Ebay doesn't work here. Only way is to buy from amazon (same sellers selling same product with triple the price) :oops:
So,no other way other then going for them
I have bought ubetter cells(medium quality) cost 1.5$
Other options available but costs high

Well that sucks.

But very hard to get good quality without spending more money, so like I said, just start saving so you're ready when the time comes.

There are services where you can give the seller a US address and then they re-ship.

Maybe a lot of small slow mailings will help with your corrupt customs agents.

Or make friends with powerful people who don't have to pay so much, I dunno.

I often want to emigrate, but must admit not to India.

Happy to read all the above posts
Am Anbu from India

I bought used hero electric photon(48V 33AH) (slow mode 350w , fast mode 1200w) lead acid model and converted it into lithium model after several months of google i bought some used laptop batteries capacity check with littokala Lii500 battery tester. Sorted 52 batteries from 1800mA-2000mA build my 13S4P pack using those salvaged cells without BMS.

Charge the battery with lead acid charger with CC CV BuCK boost converter. Ride my bike 10km/day in slow mode (350w) ,balance cells every month with some fear in mind about fire. After 3 months of usage battery died cannot even give 3km/charge.

So that i plan to buy from reputed manufacturer and bought 48V LFP pack from MicronixBangalore(https://www.micronixonline.com/products/48v-24ah-lithium-ferro-phosphate-battery). Rated 48V30AH. When i received the battery it shows only 50.5V i ask the seller about this then only they informed me that the pack is 15S and the out put shows not above 52V .

I informed them about the battery after 5 cycles it still shows 50.7v like @harper post. I cycle the battery 30 times from Feb 2020 to till date. Battery voltage still 50.8 at full charge. Charger they provide for this pack rated 58.6v 6A.

I measure the usable capacity with watt meter (https://robu.in/product/150a-high-precision-watt-meter-power-analyzer/) its show 26Ah until the pack shutdown completely .i cannot disassemble the pack to test eaxh battery voltage because it void warrenty . just want to know is this normal ? Or either the BMS or any banks of the pack is faulty ?

One more thing to ask about its mileage. Actual mileage is 60km with (33Ah) Lead acid battery. So i calculated with LFP 30AH is enough to reach that same milage . but only got 28km/charge . confused about what causes this weird situation ?

Anbudroid said:
Happy to read all the above posts
Am Anbu from India

I bought used hero electric photon(48V 33AH) (slow mode 350w , fast mode 1200w) lead acid model and converted it into lithium model after several months of google i bought some used laptop batteries capacity check with littokala Lii500 battery tester. Sorted 52 batteries from 1800mA-2000mA build my 13S4P pack using those salvaged cells without BMS.

Charge the battery with lead acid charger with CC CV BuCK boost converter. Ride my bike 10km/day in slow mode (350w) ,balance cells every month with some fear in mind about fire. After 3 months of usage battery died cannot even give 3km/charge.

So that i plan to buy from reputed manufacturer and bought 48V LFP pack from MicronixBangalore(https://www.micronixonline.com/products/48v-24ah-lithium-ferro-phosphate-battery). Rated 48V30AH. When i received the battery it shows only 50.5V i ask the seller about this then only they informed me that the pack is 15S and the out put shows not above 52V .

I informed them about the battery after 5 cycles it still shows 50.7v like @harper post. I cycle the battery 30 times from Feb 2020 to till date. Battery voltage still 50.8 at full charge. Charger they provide for this pack rated 58.6v 6A.

I measure the usable capacity with watt meter (https://robu.in/product/150a-high-precision-watt-meter-power-analyzer/) its show 26Ah until the pack shutdown completely .i cannot disassemble the pack to test eaxh battery voltage because it void warrenty . just want to know is this normal ? Or either the BMS or any banks of the pack is faulty ?

One more thing to ask about its mileage. Actual mileage is 60km with (33Ah) Lead acid battery. So i calculated with LFP 30AH is enough to reach that same milage . but only got 28km/charge . confused about what causes this weird situation ?

hi there, as i,am with batteries from last 6 months i can say that it is pretty abnormal.
my 18ah battery pack gave me around 45km at city ride it drew around 26 to 28amps@48v (SELF MADE).
i am pretty sure that your BMS is the problem. but,also check your cells.
even authorized manufacturers uses these low qc cells.

Back