52V to 60V - Please Help

Vash

100 µW
Hey,

I've got an 2400W 52V 26AH Electric Scooter, it has two controllers 52V 25AH each, i want to transform my scooter to a 60V one,
I've already got the right controllers (60V), and the LCD throttle, now i'm about to purchase a 60V 27AH battery, bare in mind my motors are 1200W each, will i be able to swap the battery and controllers without the risk of harming any component? meaning will it be okay with the current motors even tho i'm guessing they are 52V, sorry new to this.

Thanks for the help.

spinningmagnets said:
The motor will be fine. The controller must match the battery voltage, but the motor can take a wide variance in the input voltage.

Thank you for the replay, one more question if I may, I’m going to purchase a 60V 27Ah battery and the controllers I have are 60V 25Ah each, is that ok? Or does it have to be exact number.

Vash said:
Thank you for the replay, one more question if I may, I’m going to purchase a 60V 27Ah battery and the controllers I have are 60V 25Ah each, is that ok? Or does it have to be exact number.
You are confusing two things here - amps and amp hours.

Controllers are rated in amps. That's how much current they can handle.

Batteries are rated both in amps (peak discharge current) and amp-hours (capacity; how long they can handle the discharge.) Your battery is 27ah which means it can discharge (approximately) an amp for 27 hours. It also has a current rating which has to be higher than the peak current you will draw.

Your controller is rated 25A (not 25Ah.) Almost every battery in the world is OK with a 1C rate, which in your case would be 27 amps. So you are fine. And if the controller is even moderately well designed it will current limit somewhere above 25 amps.

Amp hours AH, refer to battery capacity like how big is the gas tank in gallons or liters of fuel.
At a 1c discharge a 27ah battery should deliver 27 amps of current for one hour.
A 10c discharge would be a draw of 270 amps and drain the battery in 6 minutes or less.

A motor will run on whatever voltage it is fed.
A controller is built with voltage sensitive parts that might just blow up if too many volts are applied. Caps and fets in a controller have a maximum volt rating.
A controller draws amps.

one problem I came across with controller and battery. the low voltage cut off in the controller is different between sealed lead acid batteries and li-ion. a 60v sla controller has a lvc of 52v so if your switching to lithium? you need to be able to adjust the lvc of the controller

Back