• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

5inch tires? Or longboard wheels?

I just was wondering, what is more fun for u guys to ride on? Regular long board wheels, or those big 5 or 6 inch tire wheels.

Yeah, Stiff decks and urethane. I have a 6" pneumatic board that isnt bouncy though...Torque's crazy :lol:

Uptill now I used ABEC11 83mm 78a wheels and on long rough tarmac roads my feet get numb ....

That's why I've just bought 5" pneumatics. I think (hope) this will make my ride a lot smoother .....
(see : http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=56568&start=200#p1061808)

Sebastien

What is more fun?.... only you can answer that once you try both.

But lets analyse it anyway, so I think it depends what terrain you ride on. Or what terrain you need/want to ride on.

I would say that having 5 or 6 inch wheels opens the door to some new opportunities. Dirt, grass, hard compacted beach sand.

But Some people want pneumatics just because the concrete or bitumen they want to ride on (to work or to shops etc) is poor quality. This is originally what beetbocks made his pneumatic eboard for. The roads are terrible.

But For me I wanted pneumatics for FUN. So i can ride dirt tracks. Take short cuts across parks. Surf grass.

If i was going for a ride to a specific destination and there is perfect concrete conditions between point A and point B I would probably go with Urethane. It is more effecient, lighter deck weight, more responsive handling and travel faster.

But not always is the journey about reaching the destination, somtimes the journey is the about thrashing and ripping it up. I think some of the best fun you can have on an eboard is on a looping dirt track with pneumatics. There is nothing like powering into a tight corner fully tucked down grabbing an edge and drifting sideways then powering through with wheel spins out of the apex.

I tend to find urethane is for comuting from point a-b and pneumatics is for fun.

But I can tell you 100% for sure I find both extremely fun.

I really think everyman needs two decks. The light weight high speed commuter and The all-terrain beast.

777arc said:
Anyone know a cheaper source to get the alien drive type wheels in the US? Shipping is more than the wheels for me.

Nope...

If you're talking about the Skike wheels, they have a US site. http://www.skike.me/#nordic-cross-skates

I bought 4 orange wheels from them and never used it, if you want them you can PM me.

Pediglide said:
If you're talking about the Skike wheels, they have a US site. http://www.skike.me/#nordic-cross-skates

please notice that the rims of original skike wheels are wider than the ones from beetbocks. I don't know if they fit on a standard skate-truck ...

Furthermore, using tyres will give more rolling resistance and as such less driving range of course.

Sebastien

Skike wheels will need machining to fit statdard skate axles, maybe you can get around that with slimmer bearings, but I would not count on that. I have been riding a while on machined skike wheels and really like it 'cause I feel safer when not every twig or pothole can throw me off at 30kmh. They are less efficient than urethane wheels, but if you keep the pressure high (can take 7 bar) it is still bearable.

Skikes are great if you can get them machined and have rough/dirty roads to ride while urethanes are fine for smoother roads (pro skaters probably use them on pretty rough ones as well) and have higher efficiency. If you want to really ride unpaved and stuff, consider mtb fat tires instead.

onloop said:
What is more fun?.... only you can answer that once you try both.

But lets analyse it anyway, so I think it depends what terrain you ride on. Or what terrain you need/want to ride on.

I would say that having 5 or 6 inch wheels opens the door to some new opportunities. Dirt, grass, hard compacted beach sand.

But Some people want pneumatics just because the concrete or bitumen they want to ride on (to work or to shops etc) is poor quality. This is originally what beetbocks made his pneumatic eboard for. The roads are terrible.

But For me I wanted pneumatics for FUN. So i can ride dirt tracks. Take short cuts across parks. Surf grass.

If i was going for a ride to a specific destination and there is perfect concrete conditions between point A and point B I would probably go with Urethane. It is more effecient, lighter deck weight, more responsive handling and travel faster.

But not always is the journey about reaching the destination, somtimes the journey is the about thrashing and ripping it up. I think some of the best fun you can have on an eboard is on a looping dirt track with pneumatics. There is nothing like powering into a tight corner fully tucked down grabbing an edge and drifting sideways then powering through with wheel spins out of the apex.

I tend to find urethane is for comuting from point a-b and pneumatics is for fun.

But I can tell you 100% for sure I find both extremely fun.

I really think everyman needs two decks. The light weight high speed commuter and The all-terrain beast.

completely agree and well said..torques..

get the best of both worlds with 5,5" urethane wheels maybe...
(personnaly tried some 5" inflated ones and did not like them - to much drag for not enought gain in versability on/off road riding,
...and I won't take the risk of "regular longboard wheels" with what I have to ride around here)

made_in_the_alps_legacy said:
get the best of both worlds with 5,5" urethane wheels maybe...
(personnaly tried some 5" inflated ones and did not like them - to much drag for not enought gain in versability on/off road riding,
...and I won't take the risk of "regular longboard wheels" with what I have to ride around here)

TBH the 5" tyres you tried from enertion are terrible,..and not a good role model for pneumatic tires ( my 5x1" are far better for low rolling resistance)..but i did like the 7" Onda wheels i used so maybe the 5.5" would be a good compromise..
I didn't realise they did 2 sizes..
FYI- i re-engineered the enertion wheel ( which is nice wheel) to fit my thinner smoother 5"x1" tire and there love;y now..:)
[youtube]b_bvmpJUByI[/youtube]

beetbocks said:
FYI- i re-engineered the enertion wheel ( which is nice wheel) to fit my thinner smoother 5"x1" tire and there love;y now..:)
can't see the vid' but I like your "re-engineering" idea ! maybe I'll try that thxs

my 5x1" tire will actually still fit and kind of look pretty cool as there stretched across the wheel..but i took the opportunity to loose some weight of the enertion alloy whilst getting the tire to fit better- i simply machined the faces of the alloys so they were thinner - easy to do with a lathe..
try the vid now - i've made it public..

Back