600w BMC Dead? Help

Well the magnets I ordered were 1/8 inch and of course I needed the 1/16 inch magnets. Grinding wheel, hand drill, and an hour and a half later perfect fit. Add a bit of 3M scotch weld 460 and wipe off the excess. Hope its properly polar. Have no idea how to align every thing tomorrow but I'll give it the old endless sphere try and pray. Might be up and running in 24 hours. Pray for me.

Thanks every body.

If the motor spins freely by hand after reassembly, then unless something is shorted inside it between phases/etc, there's no reason I can think of for it to pop anything.

Are there any pinches or nicks in any of the wires?

Even if you did it should not pop a controller--it might just run rough or stall or not spin correctly.

Testing magnet polarity is easy--just take any other magnet with poles on opposite ends (even a piece of the broken one), and hold it firmly, passing it next to the ends of each magnet. One magnet should repel it, then the next attract, the next repel, the next attract, and so on all the way round.

Well when I put it back together I knocked some of the magnets loose. Then put it together,foolishly, and maybe or maybe not popped a controller. Either way it wasn't smooth and didn't work so I tore it apart again today. Pulled all the magnets except the newly glued one and cleaned them and the inside of the hub. I broke a few of them while trying to clean and have decided to to order all new magnets. One thing I worry about is that these magnets are a 64th or so smaller. Noticed that original assembly used a thick piece of paper/ thin piece of card board as a spacer. Any one have an opinion on spacer material? Starting to feel like I maybe in over my head. :(

It sounds like they didn't glue down the original magnets at all, if they could be knocked loose just in reassembling the motor. That's bad news for this brand motor, then, unless yours just happens to be the "Friday 5pm whistle" unit. :(

I don't have any answers on the problem, though.

No the adhesive just wasn't able to handle the heat cycles of New England.

I re-glued the magnets. Put together the entire hub back together and swapped out the controller.

It worked!!!

Attempted to take a test ride and popped another controller. I think the short is at the elbow where the wires leave the hub. I don't know how to fix this. I'm done.

4 Sale.

1. Great battery 51.2 v Lifepo4 10 ah
2. 2A charger
3. 6A charger
4. Rack for Hard tail bike
5. 700c wheel with 600W BMC hub as is condition.
6. Several blown controllers 35A

So...

I think I might buy a V3. I have seen them at a good price here on the endless sphere.

Ilia has them for $815 with a controller and CA. This seems like a deal. Anyone have an opinion of ilia.

They are hub with out spokes or rim. Can I use my spokes and rim?

There is nothing wrong with Ilia. He has been great to deal with.

Are you sure you want to go with the 1000W BMC? It seems to me that people have been having more trouble with them than with the 600W-S.

I've found with my 600W-S, keeping the amps controlled is the key to longevity. I have a dual voltage setup and am having no problems pushing 30A @ 54V and 25A @ 72V. It's important to go easy on the throttle when taking off and I only use the 72V when I need a faster top speed or want to extend my range. My boost pack is controlled from the handle bars and I have done the mod on the CA so I can switch both Voltage and Amps on the fly.

FWIW, My top speed when hot off the chargers is right at 40 mph @ 80V

If the motor's spoke flange is identical in diameter and number of holes to the one you already have, then you can use both the spokes and hub, but I would recommend new spokes if yours have been used more than just a very little bit. I routinely reuse old spokes because I can't really afford new ones, but it is not a recommended practice as they can break at the spoke head where it angles at the hub (and have, for me).

If the diameter/# holes is different, you'll need new spokes with the correct length. JRH has a thread in the forsale section about spokes. The rim will work either way as long as the # holes are the same.

BTW, if you ever want to sell any of the dead or suspected damaged parts cheap, PM me. I have no money right now or for quite a while (vet bills for Hachi) but when I do, I'd be interested in them.

Back