• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

800W Uber Scooter Upgrade Batteries

MrYetiMan

100 mW
Hey Forum

So my buddy recently got a E-Scooter it was alrite but the batteries died so fast.... Anyway we had two old segways we decided to take the batteries out and link them up parrelel and wired them temporarly into the scooter it works so well!! we both jumped on it last night it lasts double the range and seems more torqy! Carrys us both must be 25mph... these batteries seem powerfull:twisted:

My question is how do we charge them both together whats the best charger? because at the moment we are taking them out puting one at a time back into the segway to charge them = 3hr charge ..

If we have them hooked up the way original scooter batteries inside the scooter where but with our segway batteries linked parallel can we get a 36v lithium charger and just charge that way like how the led charger works in that socket? whats the best way of doing it.

And if you know where to get these batties in uk would be nice my friend thinks he can fit 6x inside the housing..

Regards 8)

12399493_10207273081483133_1057981103_n.jpg

How to charge These batteries parallel :?:

It appears they’re BMS protected (circuit under shrink wrap) so long as reasonably close SOC (state of charge) merely parallel connect (+ + / - -) them together and treat them as one large battery. They can also be wired in series ( + - + - ) for 72V pack.

But before doing that I would further qualify cells are working and in similar condition. Run some tests on each pack and verify they remain similar voltages for similar SOC. But the BMS’ should protect from anything catastrophic happening.

Thanks for the info. We had a feeling it had a bms because of the shape under the wrap.

And what charger would you recommend ? Im not very familiar with batteries or charging im quiet the amature. So what you're saying is i can link them up together and charge like a normal 36v?

You need a DVM (volt meter) and enough knowledge to check and compare voltages. DO NOT connect them parallel until you’ve 1st verified they’re reasonably close voltage to each other.

From what the label indicates they would appear to need a charger that reaches about 42V. Often sold/described as 36V Li-ion/Li-poly chargers.

Amp rating is up to you but the higher the Amp rating the quicker the charge time. You’ll find plenty cheap 36V chargers in the 2A range and they get much more expensive towards 4A and above.

Once you have your charger, connectors and any additional wiring sorted out - I would fully charge each pack individually (leave it on the charger a long time, restarting the cycle several times to insure good balancing) do this before sensibly connecting in parallel. At that point you should have one larger pack about 300Wh.

Okay i understand thank you for the information mate.

So this should be fine for charging 6x Batteries (Parallel)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lithium-ion-Batteries-Charger-36V-Battery-charger-Parts-6A-chargers-Quiet-charge-/262494994143?hash=item3d1debbedf:g:mtEAAOSwGIRXa7xh

Linking them up Series would be nice but would have to change speed controller and stuff so this is not a option at the moment.

Based on a full charge x2 Batteries = 4.2 Miles And dropped to 2nd bar but still had juice left could get atleast 5 miles min out of the two packs if anybody else is intrested in knowing.. :D

While you're getting into connectors and wiring you might as well add a power meter for testing so that you can make more accurate and useful capacity measurements.

GT Power meter often found on eBay is a decent bargain choice.

Looks to be a decent charger. 6A output is nice.

Back