850C display on sunlight

11mat11

1 mW
Me and my wife have BBS02 and P850C display from Pspower. The problem is the visibility in the sun, where you can't see the volts or the clock and all the small letters because the baclight on the screen is so bad. Which display would have better visibility in the sun?

Somewhere in the menu there is a setting for backlight brightness. Make sure you have that cranked up to the max. Even then it will be a bit hard to see in bright sun.

The DP C10 monochrome display is much easier to read in the sun. It won't display battery SOC accurately with a 52v battery though and may lack some programming features.

Another (spendy) option would be an Eggrider display.

I have already set the maximum, but it is still poorly visible. I also thought about black and white, but it has no data on volts in numbers and no indication of the use of engine power. I was thinking about the Egger too, but I got annoyed by the small fonts at volts, so in the end I won't see anything either. ;) I look at 750C, is it more visible in the sun or is it the same?

I’m not sure. I think it’s the same.

I prefer the color display for the reasons you mention. I like having the amps displayed.

None of the options I’ve seen are really good.

11mat11 said:
Me and my wife have BBS02 and P850C display from Pspower. The problem is the visibility in the sun, where you can't see the volts or the clock and all the small letters because the baclight on the screen is so bad. Which display would have better visibility in the sun?
The most recent version is the 860C display and is almost perfect under the sun, in fact better than my expensive smartphone!!

I am being developing firmware for the 850C and recently for the 860C displays, I am being using both and believe me, 850C is kind of old screen tecnhology.

See here a comparison of that both displays: https://github.com/OpenSource-EBike-firmware/TSDZ2_wiki/wiki/Displays-comparison

casainho said:
The most recent version is the 860C display and is almost perfect under the sun, in fact better than my expensive smartphone!!

I am being developing firmware for the 850C and recently for the 860C displays, I am being using both and believe me, 850C is kind of old screen tecnhology.

See here a comparison of that both displays: https://github.com/OpenSource-EBike-firmware/TSDZ2_wiki/wiki/Displays-comparison

Thanks for posting that. I have an older 850C that is made for 13s battery but I have a 14s battery. Is it possible to update the software on my screen so it works with 14s?

The stock Bafang display has lots of room for improvement. I think you're one of the only people who knows how to actually make improvements. If I had more spare time, I'd definitely look into making something nicer for my bikes.

You can easily make a small "hood" for the display that will partially shield it from glare, and make it easier to read. It's not perfect, but much cheaper than replacing it. ;)

The hood is a small piece of plastic that is matte (flat) black on the inside, folded over the top and sides in a way that leaves you still able to see the display from your riding position.

These images will give you the general idea:
https://www.google.com/search?q=display+hood&tbm=isch

After using 90km on sunshine, I can say that it is against my former P850C display, the 860 display is much better at sun visibility as well as the fonts are a little bigger, and screen is now 3.5 inch. But it can't compare to a monochrome LCD screen. I'm pleased with him.

Back