9C pusher cargo trailer for my trike

So far I've tried an RC Friction Drive (too noisy) and a Q100 CST Hub Motor (destroyed the hub casting off road) on my Catrike Villager.

I started looking for a more indestructable hub motor and accidentally wound up with a fast wind Nine Continent 2805 that was damaged. Crushed axle, severed wires and two blown halls. It was too fast for use in my off road trike but I thought it might be good geared down in my cargo trailer. Spinningmagnets gave me a heck of a deal so I repaired the motor, upgraded to 14G phase wires and all new halls and wiring. I am using it now on my pusher cargo trailer. I call it the "grocery cart".
eTrailer.resized.JPG

I mostly used shop remnants for the frame and 20mm tubing for the fixed axles. The wheels were originally built for my off road trike, 19" Maxxis Creepy Crawlers that the trials guys use. Rims are Alex DX32 with Bitex hubs.
View attachment 6

I added a deck, tongue and hitch.
cargo trailer.resized.JPG

A mount for the Nine Continent 2805 was fabricated. I am using 1/8" chain with a BMX 16t freewheel on the motor. I had to wire the motor in reverse in order to use the threaded side for the freewheel. There's a 22t fixed sprocket on the wheel. This geaing gives me a top end of 18MPH, which is eye watering fast for me! I may gear down some more, for the hills I have around the house.
9C motor and drive chain.resized.JPG
Nine Continent right side.resized.JPG

Here's a shot of the motor cover. I am using a KU93 controller with one shunt snipped. It puts out about 11A-12A, plenty
for me since I do a lot of pedal assist. The batteries are HobbyKing LiPo 2 x 5s 5Ah, 40volts. I can parallel two packs for 10Ah capacity.
motor housing from top.resized.JPG

The empty trailer weighs a whopping 62#. I guess the advantage is there is no wheel hop nor is it possible to spin the drive wheel on pavement. The soft sticky Creepy Crawler just grabs and goes. On dirt, one must use the throttle judiciously. I have no idea what it will pack but I'm guessing I should be good for 200#. That's good, maybe I can lug a 40# bag of mesquite charcoal and 75# of salt pellets for the water softener in one trip.
Rear shot trike and trailer.resized.JPG

So when I get tired of motoring, I can always revert back to pedal only and pack the grandkids around.....

Back