a cost benefit comparison of lifepo4 and lipo for newbs

neptronix said:
sangesf said:
How about this...
I need two 36v 15AH battery packs..
Give me a cost analysis and charging routine for as cheap as possible (while still having "decent" equipment) using both or either chemistries..
My costs needs to be at about $700usd...
My current lifepo4 runs typically at 39v for 85% of the usage and I NEED the ability to charge "on the road" and almost never at home..
I run two v-power 36v 15ah batts/bms/chargers that have been in use for 6 months with no problems whatsoever... At a cost of $600 (yes.. eBay auctions CAN rock)
My controllers have regen and never use more than 25a and typically run at 8-10a.

Is there a lipo setup that would fulfill ALL my needs?
What do you guys think?

30ah of 10S will come close to that $700 but exceed it

12x $42 5ah 5S 20c zippy lipo shipped via USA warehouse: ~$516.01
Charging stuff & various doodads = $200-$250

$300 is mind blowingly cheap for 36v 15ah lifepo4. You should have bought a carton and resold them for a profit!!!

Occasionally hobbyking will have sales on their lipo though. I have seen up to 28% off the packs i used. :D

Well how many people would pay $350 for a 36v 15ah lifepo4 pack with bms and charger...
I will sell to whomever wants.. Will even pay for shipping along as it's within the USA... It will be shipped out via USPS parcel post and will take over week to get it to you, I have 10+ I can sell (brand new) at that price..

Anyone interested, PM me or whatever

I charge on the road with power supplies.

They come in many flavors, but I always just charge at the limit a standard 15amp wall outlet breaker can sustain, which is around 11-12amps, which is roughly 1000-1200w charging.

Tiny. Compact. Light. Cheap. And unlike little toy chargers that come with an off-the-shelf pack, these actually charge at a power level that let's you add meaningful watt-hours back into the pack in a little 30min break for a snack or drink.

Man.... all things being equal a 1kw charger or a 1kw PS isn't going to be tiny, compact, light, and cheap. Bms battery has 900w chargers for $100 shipped. A 1000w meanwell is what? $200-$300(i just checked ebay)? And the meanwell isn't cc/cv. What you do you think about that? Am I too far off? And the meanwell requires some sort of baby sitting right?

$300 is mind blowingly cheap for 36v 15ah lifepo4. You should have bought a carton and resold them for a profit!!!

Not really... that's what bmsbattery has their headway packs.... dlg quoted me $350 for a 48v10ah pack with charger and bms made from their 15c cells. Once my lawn care business gets going I'm going to order some for testing, so hopefully we'll have some better lifepo4 options soon.

LOL

(assuming you're being sarcastic)

Lfp, I'm amazed by how often you can get away with being intentionally misleading and rude to forum members. Not only that, but you have business or other wise personal relationships with hobby king. Did they give you a tour of the factory because you got enough people here to buy their lipo packs?

OTOH, I do feel I was a bit unfair to lipo with regards to modularity, upgradibility, and volumetric density problems with lifepo4. I'm going to rewrite those sections as well as update the cycle life information with more detailed info.
You do seem to know the most here about of hobby king lipo, what do you know about any relevant life cycle testing of them or similar batteries?

auraslip said:
Not really... that's what bmsbattery has their headway packs.... dlg quoted me $350 for a 48v10ah pack with charger and bms made from their 15c cells. Once my lawn care business gets going I'm going to order some for testing, so hopefully we'll have some better lifepo4 options soon.

Interesting but i'd like to see them in action. I've heard that the BMSes from BMSbattery are basically junk. Read some threads on here. Their shipping cost is also artificially inflated pretty bad. This is why i've never bought anything from them. Not even bare hub motors.

It would be nice to see your report though if you order them.
I'd like some smaller lifepo4 pack i could recommend to newbies. The low discharge rating of the ping doesn't cut the mustard and we need something that can handle power levels above what you get with ebikekit, etc. Headway cells would seem to be ideal. But prismatic lipo will always be king for stuffing the most capacity into a limited amount of space.

P.S. you can opportunity charge with lipo; i've seen 5A bricks that charge to lipo voltages ( IE 4.2v or 4.15v per cell ) on alibaba many times. As long as you make sure your lipo isn't terribly out of balance, that kind of charging works real well. There is also a bit of sway room in the lipo spec as most lipo cells are rated for 4.25v per cell. So there's good headroom.

In fact my girlfriend's "ecobike elegance" has li-mn, which charges at 4.2v per cell. Already got a lipo opportunity charger :mrgreen:

Sorry, I was a bit unfair to come busting in to the thread like that. Nothing like a great first impression!

I have to wonder how many 'eBike' kits, and the cheapo 24v SLA jobbers get purchased and then stored in the garage infinately because they just don't cut the mustard for anything other than a novelty of tooling around the block with the kids and dog. If everything were straightforward the market would be larger here, I would imagine, but, hey, it is the things we do, and the people that see it, that help spur things along. Eventually the right guy with the right connections markets a product and the whole thing improves.

So yeah, obviously, if you could purchase something that's "clean" looking or plug and play I think it would be readily accepted regardless of what the battery chemistry is. There's a lot to be said for your time and effort for these things too. If someone marketed something like a dovetailed aluminum sleeve for a LiPo pack, so you could stick in the battery, plug in the wires, and then slide the bricks together to make a nice box that you could leave alone, more people would buy it, but, that sounds like it would be too easy for people to screw it up and end up with dead batteries, or worse.

I appreciate all the info from everyone, and, like everything else, welcome the opportunity to learn.

Partycat said:
If someone marketed something like a dovetailed aluminum sleeve for a LiPo pack, so you could stick in the battery, plug in the wires, and then slide the bricks together to make a nice box that you could leave alone

20ah_5s_ammobox.jpg

Close.. as far as leaving it alone though, with these HK packs, forget it. It needs to be checked periodically even if you have a lipo BMS.

The low discharge rating of the ping doesn't cut the mustard and we need something that can handle power levels above what you get with ebikekit, etc.

I updated the power section of the original post. You'll now see just how capable even the 15ah ping is for handling even an "unlimited" controller with a 9c 9x7. WRT to bms battery; a 48v10ah headway pack is $375 including shipping and 5 amp charger. I ordered from them, but ended up canceling my order because they didn't ship after a month. Around the same time a few other people ordered and received their packs, so it seems hit or miss. The capacitance bms they sell has a poor history here, although the bleeding bms is known to be fine. I'm not sure what comes with the pack though. I'm also not sure what "unreliable" means in this context.

I've updated the article to be more fair to lipo. It's much less bulky and easier to mount on FS frames, and I that is very important to some people. It's also a lot easier to upgrade. I still need to update the life cycle assessment, but I'm kinda short of time right now to big digging through studies looking for life cycle studies on lipo and lifepo4 at different c-rates and DODs.

I wanted to tell you guys why I am suddenly so against lipo. My number one goal when writing the original post was to help the ebike revolution along. Hobby king has made it so a few of us can build very powerful bikes for fairly cheap, but I believe it's doing more harm than good. It's devaluing ready made lifepo4 packs, and it's making it harder for the price to come down.

When you have people here saying stuff like "ping doesn't cut it", bmsbattery has unreliable bms, and calling headways "deadways" it makes people that would otherwise be perfectly happy with one of those options unreasonably wary of them. Combine that with everyone talking about how great lipo is, and suddenly it seems to be the only real option. Yet when a beginner starts on their quest to build a lipo ebike, they quickly get confused, discouraged, and caught up in analysis paralysis. This isn't conducive of getting a newbie to ride an ebike!

Secondly, by taking away business from people like Ping, Cell_man, and ebikes.ca it makes their economies of scale smaller and they need to charge more. I understand that until recently high quality lifepo4 packs were expensive or non-existent, but now days there are plenty of decent options for lifepo4 out there like a123, DLG, PSI, and the 8c headways that are fairly inexpensive and reliable. Instead we give our money to a company that has no interest in ebikes, and probably never will; if hobbyking could make a profit selling 10,000mah packs to ebikers, they would be. Why not give our money to companies that actually want our business? By trash talking all the good options for beginners, you're not helping any one; You're hurting everyone.

Got it - do we get to hold an election or anything or are you just asserting enforcement of your beliefs?

auraslip said:
I wanted to tell you guys why I am suddenly so against lipo. My number one goal when writing the original post was to help the ebike revolution along. Hobby king has made it so a few of us can build very powerful bikes for fairly cheap, but I believe it's doing more harm than good. It's devaluing ready made lifepo4 packs, and it's making it harder for the price to come down.

When you have people here saying stuff like "ping doesn't cut it", bmsbattery has unreliable bms, and calling headways "deadways" it makes people that would otherwise be perfectly happy with one of those options unreasonably wary of them. Combine that with everyone talking about how great lipo is, and suddenly it seems to be the only real option. Yet when a beginner starts on their quest to build a lipo ebike, they quickly get confused, discouraged, and caught up in analysis paralysis. This isn't conducive of getting a newbie to ride an ebike!

Secondly, by taking away business from people like Ping, Cell_man, and ebikes.ca it makes their economies of scale smaller and they need to charge more. I understand that until recently high quality lifepo4 packs were expensive or non-existent, but now days there are plenty of decent options for lifepo4 out there like a123, DLG, PSI, and the 8c headways that are fairly inexpensive and reliable. Instead we give our money to a company that has no interest in ebikes, and probably never will; if hobbyking could make a profit selling 10,000mah packs to ebikers, they would be. Why not give our money to companies that actually want our business? By trash talking all the good options for beginners, you're not helping any one; You're hurting everyone.

auraslip said:
Are you kidding me? The market will drive the feasibility. Don't blame the low cost of lipo for inflated lifepo4 prices.

auraslip said:
So people that have problems with a product should just keep their mouth shut so other suckers will still buy the product. Are you nuts? As for Lipo, I don't have a problem with it at all. The problem is the fear spread about it. I'm both a noob at ebikes and lipo. Only had my motor a couple of months and switched to lipo a couple of weeks ago. As long as it last a few hundred full cycles, I'll be happy. But I'm thinking it will last many times that. I've been charging the 14s pack without balancing for a few days now. No problems.

auraslip said:
Look, it's all about money. I couldn't care less about ping, cell-man's, hobby kings, are anybody else's bottom line. I care about mine. If they go out of business because they can't compete, then they better find a new business, or find a better marketing strategy. It's that simple. And I couldn't care less if they promote ebikes or hookers. If they want my money, they better have a competitive product for my needs. They simply don't at this time.

Auraslip, if you really do care about people taking in lifepo4 for their eBikes i would say experiment ( $$$ ) with all these lifepo4 packs other than the pings and find one that has actually good output, a BMS that doesn't die in a short time, and a good warranty.

To me, the idea of dropping $300-$900 on one thing all at once and finding out that it is a dud is not appealing in any way.
I think that is the problem with lifepo4 packs; lots of crap out there, a few gems, but generally you need to assume it's crap unless it's proven ( like the pings )

Whereas with lipo i am always $40-$100 away from getting back on the road because all the components are separate.

Cell_man has not marketed his A123 packs very much so i think that is slowing down the adoption of those. I have also not heard of long term tests of those. They are also kinda big since the cells aren't prismatic, so size is an issue.

Headways are effing huge and any decently sized pack will have serious problems fitting in the triangle of any bike.

There may be problems with lipo ( safety & occasional dud cells ) but i think most people are willing to take it's downsides over the downsides of lifepo4.

Headways are effing huge and any decently sized pack will have serious problems fitting in the triangle of any bike.

This is what I'm talking about. You have never done CAD mockups of headways like I have, and you have no idea how large headways are. You know how many I could fit in the triangle of my bike?

file.php

52 of the 10ah variety. And they are 5.2" long compared to the 6" width of a 48v20ah ping that fits nicely in my new battery box.

ORulNl.jpg

No problem pedaling.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. A bunch of people have no clue, yet they prattle on and discourage people from buying decent products because they wrongly believe everyone will be satisfied with a bunch of toy batteries like they are.

To me, the idea of dropping $300-$900 on one thing all at once and finding out that it is a dud is not appealing in any way.

I completely agree with this. This is why I said buy from good companies like PSI, DLG, headway, and cell_man. Not ebay vendors of 1c packs!

Some people don't like their bikes looking like motorcycles, and the narrower the pedaling, the better the power transfer is from the foot to the rear wheel. In summary.. it's not for everyone.

And if we're talking in regards to newbies, it shouldn't be expected that they know CAD!

You can stack them vertically on some frames. But you lower your potential that way.
Those cells are just huge and space wasting :(

p.s. is DLG well known? those 3.2AH 4C cells look good. wish they made prismatics -_-

I'd like to apologies for a glaring mistake I made. I said a 48v kit was only capable of putting out 40 amp peaks, but I was quite wrong. I didn't set up parameter designer correctly because of a dumb mistake I made. At 48v my bike was able to easily put out 67amps. I did this with the BMS bypassed.

I don't know where the 82amps or the vmin of 48.7v came from. It was pulling 67amps and the voltage was sagging down to 49v. Of course as soon as I got up to 26mph the amp draw drops down to like 15-20amps. Even going up a slight hill, with a head wind, and speed %120 enabled the amp draw was only near 30 amps. I guess what I meant to say is that even with a 1c ping, the voltage sag is only 3v at 3c and 2v at 2c. It's not great, but totally fine for just about everyone. A 15ah ping pack would be fine for stock controllers!

That 82.12a draw happens when you first hit the throttle at 0rpm; probably occurs for a matter of milliseconds.

Told ya so.. that's why you suddenly need to get torque arms quick.. ;)

Yes, one characteristic of DD motors is that they have a pretty typical electric motor power curve; they will eat as much juice as you can give them at 0rpm then level out until they see resistance ( like hills for example ).

Geared motors on the other hand, seem to draw maximum amps almost all the time. Instead of pooping out at higher speeds, they tend to just keep dumping as many amps as the current limiter will allow.. interesting characteristic. The only reason they are more efficient overall is because they require less amps and volts to do the same job, so the power usage does even out.

This is why am always running around recommending people buy a battery based on the nominal discharge rate and not the 'burst' rate. You want that long cycle life they advertise? run it at the nominal discharge rate that the 1000-3000 cycle count is rated at.

I bet your ping cells are not happy about being ran at 3-C 4C for any given amount of time. Give it a hill climb test and see if the batteries get hot. I bet they will be warm to the touch, at the least.

At 8C constant for over 10 minutes, my 20C Zippys get quite warm.

auraslip said:
I charge on the road with power supplies.

They come in many flavors, but I always just charge at the limit a standard 15amp wall outlet breaker can sustain, which is around 11-12amps, which is roughly 1000-1200w charging.

Tiny. Compact. Light. Cheap. And unlike little toy chargers that come with an off-the-shelf pack, these actually charge at a power level that let's you add meaningful watt-hours back into the pack in a little 30min break for a snack or drink.

Man.... all things being equal a 1kw charger or a 1kw PS isn't going to be tiny, compact, light, and cheap. Bms battery has 900w chargers for $100 shipped. A 1000w meanwell is what? $200-$300(i just checked ebay)? And the meanwell isn't cc/cv. What you do you think about that? Am I too far off? And the meanwell requires some sort of baby sitting right?

I don't bother with meanwell's any longer.
$30 each. 48v @ 12amps, isolated. My around-town charger is a pair of them. It's about 3lbs for both, about 10"x4"x1.5" for the pair.
http://www.serversupply.com/products/part_search/pid_lookup.asp?pid=120608

My at home chargers are a pair of these 3kw chargers in series.
http://www.serversupply.com/POWER%20SUPPLY/SERVER%20POWER%20SUPPLY/3000WATT%20REDUNDANT/HP-COMPAQ/253232-001.htm

Run on AC or DC from 80-90VDC or VAC up to 280VDC or VAC. Like most modern switchers, it runs more efficiently on DC than AC, but only by a fraction of a percent (cap ripple losses).

To use, I just plug in the deans connector, and plug the other end into the wall. It can NOT over charge (if everything is adjusted and setup correctly obviously), it's got about a billion times better regulation on voltage than ANY battery charger on earth.
Does this not satisfy being cheap, small, light, compact, and simple??
This is how Methods, myself, and a handful of others have been charging now for the last year.
The only thing I use an RC charger for is my RC hobbies, or cycling/testing packs before building them.

auraslip said:
LOL

(assuming you're being sarcastic)

Lfp, I'm amazed by how often you can get away with being intentionally misleading and rude to forum members. Not only that, but you have business or other wise personal relationships with hobby king. Did they give you a tour of the factory because you got enough people here to buy their lipo packs?

OTOH, I do feel I was a bit unfair to lipo with regards to modularity, upgradibility, and volumetric density problems with lifepo4. I'm going to rewrite those sections as well as update the cycle life information with more detailed info.
You do seem to know the most here about of hobby king lipo, what do you know about any relevant life cycle testing of them or similar batteries?

#1. All ebike LiPo sales for the last few years all combined wouldn't be enough to make HobbyKing even notice. Hobbyking had no idea who I was, what ES was, or that ebikes were using LiPo packs. (I let them know though of course, but our volumes are too low to matter).

#2. I quit my job and Microsoft, knowingly taking a pay-cut, to help advance the electric revolution, and currently am working as a battery system engineer.

#3. Hobbyking's battery factory makes and sells approximately 300,000 LiFePO4 ebike batteries a year, which are for the Chinese ebike/escooter market. More than ALL the USA vendors for lithium electric bike batteries by more than an order of magnitude.

#4. To say LiPo has XXX cycles or xxx safety is f*cking retarded. FIrst off, LiPo comes in all different flavors, PingPacks are LiPo, the Chevy Volt and Nissan LEAF packs are LiPo, the A123 pouch cells are LiPo, etc etc. The longest lasting chemistries (<40,000cycles) I've ever seen have been LiPo, and the shortest lifecycle (<20cycles) chemistries have been LiPo. They come in flavors from extremely dangerous (like first generation LiCoO2 lipo), and fairly safe like LiFePO4, and extremely safe chemistries like LiMNO2 variants. When it comes to RC LiPo, there are cells that handle wicked overcharge and do nothing, you can stab and crush and smash them and they just sit there or maybe get warm. There are LiFePO4 round cells that explode into flames when you do similar things, it doesn't mean LiFePO4 or round cells are dangerous, it means some are made with safety-fixated design criteria, and some are not. The new 100C-200C 18650 LiFePO4 A123 cells (used by F1 KERS, Kilacycle, and military energy weapons) can explode like a mini-grenade if you drop them on something hard enough to make the case deform in the wrong way. Some RC LiPo packs get smashed into pieces and have no fire or heat, some get overcharged to 5-6v/cell and just sit there, etc etc. The early stuff was VERY unstable, it could just explode if you pricked through the foil it or overcharged it to 4.4v. It created a reputation that has lasted, dispite modern RC LiPo behaving completely differently than the early stuff. As far as hobbyking's LiPo goes, some of the 20c stuff is made from the cheapest formulas/ingredients etc, it's designed entirely around making a functional LiPo battery for an RC toy at the least cost. Treat them right ( low DOD's, no overcharge or over discharge ooops), and you may get 500-1000 70%-80% DOD cycles, or even 5,000 light 50% DOD cycles. Treat them badly and make some big charging/discharging errors, you may get <100cycles. Get a bad batch, you might just be screwed, it's the risk you take when you buy the cheapest. If you buy something using all cutting edge chemistry and engineering, premium materials and manufacturing with elaborate testing and quality control like a Nano-Tech, and you don't do stupid things to damage it (over-charge, over-discharge), you're going to see 4, and possibly 5 digit cycle life (in a case with very shallow DOD).

liveforphysics said:
If you buy something using all cutting edge chemistry and engineering, premium materials and manufacturing with elaborate testing and quality control like a Nano-Tech, and you don't do stupid things to damage it (over-charge, over-discharge), you're going to see 4, and possibly 5 digit cycle life (in a case with very shallow DOD).
How shallow are we talking about here? For 4 vs 5 digit cycle life? How do the 25/50 cells compare to the 45/90's in this respect? Have they done testing to confirm this? I know a while ago you said that when you asked they said they hadn't actually done any lifecycle testing. Did you find out more about that during your visit?

I've have only been on this forum for 3 months. Enough time for me to quickly discover a few valuable contributors. They share their in-depth knowledge in electricity, batteries and electrical circuits without bias. They present facts and hold their personal comments to a minimum. You know who you are, and I thank you for your contributions.

On the other hand, I also quickly discovered a significant number of frequent posters who are either ignorant or intentionally bend the truth for self serving goals. They are quick with terse and strong answers. But when pressed for details, they suddenly become blind and are unable to see the follow-up requests for technical answers. Even worse, some (very few) insists on their correctness on certain issues in spite of the lack of even basic theories. Loud talk, misleading and meaningless most of the times.

auraslip: I was and am sincere when thanking you for this comparison thread.

Samtexas: thanks

I've noticed the things you mention. This forum would not function with out a few people that may not be the most technically "learn'd", but are always willing to uncritically help others to the best of their abilities. These people are the foot soldiers of the ev revolution and have gotten far more people on ebikes than anyone else. I want to be like them and give out sound advice, so I try not to talk about things I don't understand fully. I'm thinking I should perhaps delete all but the price lists because at least that is something that I can't be wrong about. The cycle life stuff is obviously extremely variable, and I'd like to get that sorted out.

Obviously cycle life is extremely variable, but I think we can agree that discharging any chemistry below %80 DOD shortens significantly effects the lifespan of a battery. For example headways are spec'd at 1500 cycles at %100 DOD and 2000 at %80. Now, I've read that lifepo4 handles %100 DOD discharges much better than other lithium chemistries, which makes me think that discharging lipo below %80 will be really bad. If you have the 20c stuff and are looking at 500-1000 cycles at %80 DOD, what can you expect cycle life to be @ %100 DOD? The correct answer is of course, buy better batteries, but it sort of defeats the purpose of trying to build an ebike on the cheap then.

Those are some pretty compelling prices for the power suppllies / chargers relative to their capacities.

How adjustable is their output voltage? eg could they be made to work for 16s lifepo4?

Here is a post I added a little while ago..
THIS is the particular reason why I have NO need to go lipo..
Here is my short story...

Ok, alot of things happened over the past month..

I have hit the 2 and a half year mark on one of my batteries and one of my motors..

Here are the results....

Mileage: finally reached 20,000 miles

Front 36v (250w) motor: (Same Tire and Tube from day one. (not one flat!)

Battery: 36v 15ah From eBay vendor "Vpower" (1C rated continuous, 2C max discharging)
Over 1000 cycles, half of them using 12-15 out of 15Ah, the other half being between 2 and 12ah.  
Usable AH? (as of last month-march 1st): 
13.6ah to 95% DOD. (prolly could push it to 14..  But that's close enough for me!)

Controller amp usage: 
MAX - 25a (start from dead stop) 
Typical - 8-12a (cruising speed of 18-20mph)

My BMS finally died last month from rain/water "damage"...

Been charging with my Vpower charger (set at 43.8 CC/CV) to "full" for the past month (no BMS))...
Used (via watt meter) up to a max of 12-13ah per  since last month...
Just took charger off and for the first time in a month checked each cell group, results?: 
EVERY CELL between 3.58v and 3.6v after 20 mins off charger..

I tried to ask earlier about a (HK) LiPo setup that would give me the same results AND be able to be plugged in ANYWHERE there is a 120v outlet and walk away from it for as long as I want and have it FULLY charged when I get back to it. (I don't want to just plug a small charger in and have it "somewhat" full)

joe tomten said:
Those are some pretty compelling prices for the power suppllies / chargers relative to their capacities.

Are you sure it's not intentionally misleading BS from a rude person? :lol:

joe tomten said:
How adjustable is their output voltage? eg could they be made to work for 16s lifepo4?

Sadly, no, they won't adjust to the ~58.4v that you need.

However, there are many power supplies that will of course, if you froogle/ebay terms like "Lambda" "ASTEC" "Emerson" "TRC" "TopCon" "Vicor", along with search words like "DC supply" etc, you can run across all sorts of item lots for used lab equipment or decom'd TelCo gear for pennys on the dollar. There is a lot of super premium gear that makes a meanwell or ANY battery charger look like a pile of feces.

That said though, if you're looking to spend $80-100 or whatever, the meanwells do function, they are just a little bulky and crude and cheap.

sangesf said:
Here is a post I added a little while ago..
THIS is the particular reason why I have NO need to go lipo..
Here is my short story...

Ok, alot of things happened over the past month..

I have hit the 2 and a half year mark on one of my batteries and one of my motors..

Here are the results....

Mileage: finally reached 20,000 miles

Front 36v (250w) motor: (Same Tire and Tube from day one. (not one flat!)

Battery: 36v 15ah From eBay vendor "Vpower" (1C rated continuous, 2C max discharging)
Over 1000 cycles, half of them using 12-15 out of 15Ah, the other half being between 2 and 12ah.  
Usable AH? (as of last month-march 1st): 
13.6ah to 95% DOD. (prolly could push it to 14..  But that's close enough for me!)

Controller amp usage: 
MAX - 25a (start from dead stop) 
Typical - 8-12a (cruising speed of 18-20mph)

My BMS finally died last month from rain/water "damage"...

Been charging with my Vpower charger (set at 43.8 CC/CV) to "full" for the past month (no BMS))...
Used (via watt meter) up to a max of 12-13ah per  since last month...
Just took charger off and for the first time in a month checked each cell group, results?: 
EVERY CELL between 3.58v and 3.6v after 20 mins off charger..

I tried to ask earlier about a (HK) LiPo setup that would give me the same results AND be able to be plugged in ANYWHERE there is a 120v outlet and walk away from it for as long as I want and have it FULLY charged when I get back to it. (I don't want to just plug a small charger in and have it "somewhat" full)

That is super fantastic! You've definitely got your moneys worth from the pack, and it sounds like you will continue to get your moneys worth in the future. Excellent investment!
It would be very tough or impossible for cheapo LiPo to ever match a testimonial like that.

LiPo is definitely not for everyone. It's simply a poor battery choice or most folks and many applications.

I think a super damn good pack would be the cell-man a123 packs for anyone just looking for a reasonable trouble-free commuter to put care-free miles on.

A battery needs to be tailored to the application. If I was making a golf cart, I would run Lead Acid bricks in massively oversized capacities, as weight and performance don't really matter, and it's dirt cheap and would last long enough being hugely oversized.
For a commuter bike for my Mother or someone with no technical skills, and not willing to do anything more than plug it in, I would do a Cell-man A123 pack. For a bike for myself, who doesn't care much about anything but raw performance, LiPo makes the most sense.

Back