A Great Commute

azisme

100 mW
I put together a rather impromptu photo montage of my daily commute for my employer to post on our intranet in honor of bike-to-work day, which coincided with earth day. A lot of the descriptions won't have much meaning to those not familiar with the Phoenix area, but I thought this would still be an excellent opportunity to show off what a great commute I have (when my bike isn't broke down).

I guess I should mention that my commute is 14 miles each way in pretty much an urban/suburban area. I am so lucky to have a route that make it feel like I am out of the city.

The terrain looks as flat as a pancake you would get some good efficiency from your e bike with that kind of riding. Were i ride we don't have any huge mountains to speak of but lots of up and down rolling terrain.

Interesting pictures though the landscape looks dry.

kurt.

Phoenix has great wide roads. Why don't you use them?
Many of the photos it appears that you're travelling counterflow to the motorised traffic. Is the dedicated bicycle infrastructure laid out like that?

Zoot Katz said:
Phoenix has great wide roads. Why don't you use them?
Many of the photos it appears that you're travelling counterflow to the motorised traffic. Is the dedicated bicycle infrastructure laid out like that?

Phoenix is not known as a particularly bicycle friendly town. Yes, there are lots of bike lanes, but many of them end abruptly and place the rider in a very hazardous situation. There are also many great trails if you are lucky enough to have one that suits your route (like me).

What is wrong with going off road and enjoying a little nature and having the ability to daydream a little instead of watching out for the next idiot driver that is about to run you over? I am actually able to travel trails for a greater portion of my route, but I choose not to because I would end up getting too covered with dust. Yes I do live in a desert. So I supplement the trails with low traffic residential streets. It's really quite nice.

The only portion of my commute that is against traffic is on the way in where I take to the sidewalk for one mile (the slideshow states two). On the return trip, I am totally with the flow of traffic.

That's good, riding counterflow is the last place a cager is expecting you.
Neither am I a big fan of bike lanes due to their substandard design and ghetto effect where motorists get uppity if you're out of the bike lane. (yet they don't mind parking there to grab their lattes) Too many bike lanes are painted in the 'door zone'. They're work of Stan!

I'm not a big fan of multi-user paths either. Cars are more predictable than joggers, skaters, strollers, dog walkers etc.
Give me a wide lane or a swept shoulder and I'll take it over most bike lanes or separate paths.

My routes are mainly on traffic calmed "bike routes" that are mostly residential streets parallelling major routes. They sometimes include sections of pedestrian and bicycle only access. (yet many scud jockeys ignore the signs to drive around or over the barriers)

Riding the numerous off road paths through our parks system, I'm the interloper and must yield to everyone else on the path.
On the road I have expectations to all the rights of any other vehicle operator.
But I don't mind using my vehicle's superior maneuverability to my advantage.

Zoot Katz said:
Riding the numerous off road paths through our parks system, I'm the interloper and must yield to everyone else on the path.
On the road I have expectations to all the rights of any other vehicle.

Yes you are correct that we must yield to all others when on the trails, there are even occasional horse riders on a portion of my route. I would rather be the one in control of the yielding though rather than trust those in the two ton vehicles yapping on their cell phones.

I spent quite some time last summer training the morning walkers on the biking walking trail part of my route. A short stop and conversation with each of the regulars did wonders for them learning to leave a hole for me to ride through. Where the path follows the interstate, there are very few intersections and it's great. When it leaves town and goes down a high traffic street on the edge of the university, there is a crosswalk every block, and every one of em is a good place to die. Now I ride around that section of path on backstreets that have no traffic even during the rush. Most of that route is also designated a bike route by the city, which means the paving is less than 50 years old.

Back