A test mule with virtual pivot steering

7ZsoB83h.jpg

Ok, made it more 'recumbent-like'.

Admittedly, feels considerably less stable at speed... quite rideable, but *feels* less stable. However, it might be due to huge front weight bias (basically turned into a 'long wheelbase unicycle') I now again have friction in streering, low rigidity (it basically resonates over bumps like a trampoline) and 'tire sag' that might have, actually, gave me a bit of a 'negative trail'. I think I need to add a couple parallel tubes to 'rigidify' the construction the same way XYZ bike did and move the seat backwards a bit, reintroducing limited tiller steering.... and narrower rear tire.

I see, over on the BROL site, you mention you have progressive regen brake levers!

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2255801069583075.html?gatewayAdapt=glo2usa4itemAdapt&_randl_shipto=US

I can't imagine that Justin, of Grin Tech doesn't know about these. He had said he would love to offer progressive regen levers, but their sales volume is too low for suppliers make them for him??

Warren said:
I see, over on the BROL site, you mention you have progressive regen brake levers!

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2255801069583075.html?gatewayAdapt=glo2usa4itemAdapt&_randl_shipto=US

I can't imagine that Justin, of Grin Tech doesn't know about these. He had said he would love to offer progressive regen levers, but their sales volume is too low for suppliers make them for him??

*shrugs*

They've been for quite a while. I've tested, they work. I'm not sure how reliable they are, because I've never ridden with them because simple 'one position brake' is enough with my level of assist/regen.

I've thought to use them for torque vectoring setup (tadpole trike), but not sure I'll ever get to that.

BalorNG said:
They've been for quite a while. I've tested, they work. I'm not sure how reliable they are, because I've never ridden with them because simple 'one position brake' is enough with my level of assist/regen.

I might try one for my Linear, if I ever do that left side mid-drive.

I have gone 33K miles on my cargo bike using the simple maximum regen button on my right grip. It slows that 130 bike right now, down to 12.8 mph, where it quits. At that speed, the physical brakes are barely used. I still have the original Kool-Stop V-brake pads in front, and just replaced the original rear Avid disc pads last week.

It is anything but progressive. It will skid for an instant on gravel roads as it generates regen power, loses traction, regains traction, and repeats. But with the long wheelbase there is no drama at all.

Warren said:

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2255801069583075.html?gatewayAdapt=glo2usa4itemAdapt&

Could be useful, but the page doesn't have much in the way of operational details. :( I'm still looking around for other sellers of the same thing that may have more info, but AE's search is worse than amazon's, and that'sreally saying something. :roll:

A google search finds Flipsky's page
https://flipsky.net/products/brake-handle-aluminium-electric-scooter-brake-handle-clutch-lever-replacement-for-max-g30-parts
but it doesn't have any more info, it is exactly the same as on the AE page.

I don't suppose anyone that has used them might know how much travel they have for the full output voltage range of the sensor, and what that voltage range is?

It matters for systems that use them to pull a cable-actuated brake as well, so the regen actuates and either completes before or has minimal overlap with the start of the cable actuation, so maximum use can be made of the regen, (but also has the widest possible travel to use for the regen for easy use of it). If the sensored-travel is adjustable, even better.

The pictures they have don't seem to all show the same design, either. The first one shows a lever with a threaded tube sticking out of where the cable would enter (but the threaded tube has no way to grip it to use it as a tension adjuster). The third pic also a plan view of the same side has a different housing with a plastic "bump" at that spot and nothing else, no adjuster or apparent ability to hold one--the same is shown in the fourth pic that is an oblique view from the direction of that cable entrance, and the same is also shown on the plan view of the other side in the fifth picture. .

Right now I'm using a regular ebrake lever with a switch, and a cable-operated-throttle unit pulled by that lever, plus a couple of relays, to control braking of a grinfineon via the Cycle Analyst. (later this will control a couple of Lebowski-brained powerstages directly). It's reliable and so far waterproof, but larger and more cumbersome than a lever designed for the purpose with the sensor built into it, and it means the cable can only pull the sensor and not a physical brake.

Ebike Brake Lever Handle brake with Hall Aluminum Alloy lever Handlebar ADC Control Electric Scooter/Electric bike MAX G30/Ebike

Size: 16cm*9cm
Weight: 150G
Material: Aluminum
Packing: OPP
Description: Original quality, original MAX universal replacement parts, applicable model: MAX G30, suitable for VESC series ESC ADC control
Socket: ZH1.5MM 3P female

Size: 16cm*9cm Weight: 150G Material: Aluminum Packing: OPP Description: Original quality, original MAX universal replacement parts, applicable model: MAX G30, suitable for VESC series ESC ADC control Socket: ZH1.5MM 3P female

Size: 16cm*9cm
Weight: 150G
Material: Aluminum
Packing: OPP
Description: Original quality, original MAX universal replacement parts, applicable model: MAX G30, suitable for VESC series ESC ADC control
Socket: ZH1.5MM 3P female

Back