A Visit with Mark and Josh at EnerTrac

Knuckles

10 kW
I’ve been following the ES thread about Enertrac’s new “super powerful” motorcycle BLDC hub motor … http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7718. Turns out I live only a few miles away from Mark’s new shop (Farmingdale, New York) so I just had to give him a call. Well he invited me to visit and I was pleased to meet him and his son Josh. (Mark said I could come back and visit again with my camera so many pics to follow.)

BTW … Mark’s EV website is … http://www.doingitall.net/EnerTrac/ and he is selling these AWESOME “602” and “603” motorcycle motors now. FYI, Mark Gelbien (pronounced “Gel-bine”) is a motorcycle-riding electrical engineer with a strong background with MRI medical equipment. The motors themselves are manufactured in China by Crystalyte.

Anyway … His shop is AMAZING. I was in EV heaven as he gave me the grand tour. Now I AM NOT a motorcycle rider (I don’t have a motorcycle license – but I think that will change soon). I do love my e-bikes, however, but seeing these MOTORS just blew me away.

For fun I brought along (what I thought was) a powerful BLDC geared PUMA motor I had received from TeamHybrid in UK a while back. But the PUMA was a complete “toy” when compared to the physical size of the 602 motor. To see these 602 motors up close was really impressive and Mark has A LOT OF THEM. These motors are true “power plants” and it was apparent to me that these are some very serious torque machines. Yet lifting one up (he actually let me touch one) I found it very light weight even with a real solid brake rotor installed.

Motor/Spokes/Rim:
Mark receives the 602/603 motors pre-laced into motorcycle rims. Dozens of un-opened shipping boxes (pure joy) were lining the north wall of his shop. I asked Mark about drop shipping direct from China to customers but he said “no way”. He and Josh physically inspect each and every pre-assembled laced hub motor and hands-on effort is absolutely required BEFORE sending a motor to a client. Thus all worldwide shipping of this product must come from Farmingdale New York (here on “Wrong” Island – go figure!).

Mark’s Dynamometer:
Very cool! It is not a true dynamometer as it is not directly measuring torque. The machine is more for testing a controller’s real-world current limit under load. Mark’s original electric cycle (a complete electric motorcycle) is mounted on the “dyno” platform. The front wheel is locked and the rear wheel (a laced up 602 in the bike) sits on a “bare” 602 motor mounted within the platform. Turn on the bike key switch, twist the throttle, rear wheel turns, rear tire rubber spins the bare “dyno” motor AND the dyno high rpm generates electric current. The “raw” 3-phase electric current from the dyno feeds into a bank of halogen lamps with a gang-box of switches activating each lamp. With all the lamps on sunglasses are needed as the light is intense. With this setup Mark can simulate ANY real-world load the motor-controller “system” will experience. Pulling 100s of amps at 120V DC is easy with this setup but Mark is still building an “in-shop” DC power source capable of these kinds of test loads. Apparently the motor can take whatever he throws at it. Truly amazing.

Controllers:
High end Kelly controllers for now. Big bucks (and other issues) but Kelly can take some serious volts and amps. Kelly also does have variable regen, which is very nice. Mark uses an inconspicuous thumb throttle on the left handlebar for variable regen while the right foot pedal operates the conventional motorcycle rear brake (while also initiating a partial regen). The variable regen really makes for a nice braking experience (as explained by Mark). But any regen does of course add to motor heating but I don’t see this as a problem for the 602/603. Anyway …
LET THE BETTER CONTROLLER QUEST CONTINUE!

Ha! Very cool to see a “methods” 18-fet 100V/100A controller up close. Nice workmanship methods (very impressive controller and wire harnesses). Also the X-Lyte 18-fet version was there too! But I have a sneaky feeling that the 602 motor may eat these controllers alive! Time (and continued dyno testing) will tell.

Batteries:
What can I say … we all want better batteries. Batteries are the weakest link in the chain when it comes to the 602-based motorcycle. My impression … 602 motor can take ANYTHING that the bats and controller can throw at it. Dyno testing obviously continues and I am sure Mark will have much to say about this in the months ahead. I predict 100 MPH easy with the right bats/volts/amps and controller. Anyway …
LET THE BETTER BATTERY QUEST CONTINUE!

Motorcycles:
I don’t much about motorcycles and don’t ride (yet). But funny … Mark’s motorcycle projects all have a gapping hole where the ICE should be! Just 2 wheels, a frame, a seat and handlebars. WTF? His shop is truly an EV candy store with all kinds of fun (insane power) electric motorcycle projects in the works. Springtime 2010 should be very interesting at EnerTrac! Bring on the bats!

Dinero:
Man did Mark spend some SERIOUS cash. I easily have seen several hundred thousand dollars of money invested just in one quick tour of his new shop. I can’t even imagine the man-hours involved. This guy and his son are very serious about this business venture.

-Knuckles

Thanks for the post Knuckles I have been keeping an eye on this subject. One more bike first then I will just have to build a e-motorcycle. I will be waiting for the picks.

Back