Adding bunch of supercaps to your e-board?

Vanarian

10 kW
Yo,

I've been lurking around the battery section and guys were talking about supercaps for short high current draws . Nothing new under the sun but e-bike guys typically run higher voltages than we do.

Which makes me wonder :

At 12S we need maximum 20 capacitors to get some safety margin. 50Farads caps are cheap and should be able, for bursts of 3 seconds, to feed more than 3000W instantaneous. That's 200Gr worth of caps and not too bad space needed. And it buffs up voltage when it sags and smooth down spikes too AFAIK.

Edit : I'm stupid I wrote 30F. Sorry for that.

I unfortunately can't get my hands on the consumption graph made by "made in the alps legacy" but if I recall, apart from accelerations bursts average consumption was around 20A to cruise?

This could be a good way to ease your batteries life yet get wild grunt from your board. Kinda like a short nitro boost with a few seconds cooldown :lol:

What do you think?

I can't even hold on with a 8S lipo and 192kV motor. I'd rather have a smoother acceleration than quick burst.

Vanarian said:
What do you think?
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=76336&start=0#p1181834

Thank you amber wolf!

Well that's huge if it is just kind of plug and forget :shock:

joop1987 said:
I can't even hold on with a 8S lipo and 192kV motor. I'd rather have a smoother acceleration than quick burst.

Dude it is not ON/OFF full throttle, it seems to be just giving you exactly the amount of power you want. Except it also fight voltage sag and spikes for you.

For your 8S you only need 15 caps with 30F to get a safety net and you're good for up to 1160W of boost for 3 seconds. That means, correct me if I'm wrong, you can add couple more seconds if you need only 500W of body for example.

But if you want sudden bursts, power is available on demand!

Could be a good way to ease the strain of battery pack.

I don't see a point. You're traction/balance limited at full acceleration, not power limited. A typical low end 6s 8ah 20c lipo pack can deliver 160amps continuous, times 22.2 volts = 3500 watts, which is more than enough power to toss you on your butt.

It sounds useful for 18650 packs with a relatively low continuous amp discharge rate.

Back