Adding extra security to rear mounted battery

daymak-wild-goose-rack-mounted-battery-pack-1200x800-c-default.jpg
lockpin.jpg

My ebike has a rear mounted battery, the key (3 pins) makes a metal pin slide down into the battery rack plat to 'lock it' (so you can't slide it out).

My worry is someone can either pick/rake the 3 pin lock in seconds, or bend the metal rack enough with a screwdriver (or something) so the battery is free to slide out (which would also only take seconds)... Or even unscrew the screws of the battery case itself and steal it that way.

Original idea
I lock it in good places, and anytime im away from it more than 3-4 minutes I always bring the battery with me. But this is a pain, and is not always viable.

Idea one
Bring it to a welder, and pay to have a metal bars welded around the entire battery so it can never be removed without cutting the metal. But this would add weight, it would make it more tricky to charge the battery, and it would need to be cut away if the battery needed maintenance.

Idea Two
Maybe use some metal duct straps (or metal banding) to add another light layer of security. This could potentially buy me a few minutes, but it would also mean I could not randomly decide to take the battery with me.

Idea Three
Place several tight chains around it and lock it using a good lock. But like #1, this adds weight, and unlike #1 it would be easier to attack (cut the chain or pick the lock).

Any ideas/suggestions? Right now it feels welding it in place might be best.

if it was me id use a few metal cable ties and a motion alarm (as long as you dont need to take the battery off to charge). The ties are awkward and will certainly make you set off the alarm

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Anti-Theft-Sound-Loud-Lock-Alarm-Bicycle-Motorcycle-Security-Motion-Sensor-ap7e-/390953028045?hash=item5b069dc9cd:g:EwcAAOSw1x1UQriY

It's made to be easily unlocked, and taken with you. If it's parked in a place it will be gone in 10 min, then you need to take the whole bike in with you. They'll take the whole thing rather than pick the lock and take the battery.

bionicdan said:
if it was me id use a few metal cable ties and a motion alarm (as long as you dont need to take the battery off to charge). The ties are awkward and will certainly make you set off the alarm

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Anti-Theft-Sound-Loud-Lock-Alarm-Bicycle-Motorcycle-Security-Motion-Sensor-ap7e-/390953028045?hash=item5b069dc9cd:g:EwcAAOSw1x1UQriY

I like the idea of a motion sensor, but the problem with the metal cables ties are the same as my 'idea two', it might add 1-2 minutes extra, but in the end it makes it impossible for me to quickly bring in the battery with me.

Nelson37 said:
Another way - Find a way to hide it, or make it less conspicuous. I have similar battery, in a double decker rack, cover and reflective tape, disguised wires, most folks do not spot it right away. Anyone who asks is told it is made from recycled laptop batteries and is of low value.

It is also often covered with a cargo box, particularly when parking at the store or public locations.
Hiding it better might be a better idea, but I would never want to depend on it.

dogman dan said:
It's made to be easily unlocked, and taken with you. If it's parked in a place it will be gone in 10 min, then you need to take the whole bike in with you. They'll take the whole thing rather than pick the lock and take the battery.

My worry is they can take the battery in under a minute using the aforementioned methods, but there is no way they could do that with the bike. I use a pewag high security chain (it can't be cut with manual bolt cutters,they would need an angle grinder or cutting torch or something) with a shutter lock that has the shackle blocked by the chain and an anti drill plate. So unless they want to draw attention to themselves the best way to steal the bike right now is to pick it (and I sometimes even use a second sobo shutter lock with disc core on the chain).... I am also thinking of getting the mul-t-lock sbne12 shackle, which has an mt5+ core which is unpickable by like over 99.9% of people. If anything, that security is overkill for an eebike :wink:

Back