Advice for a good torque hub motor

geeksville

10 W
Hi ya'll,

A few months ago I helped out a fair amount contributing code to Casainho's cool open-source bike project (mostly the GUI and SW102). That's my sleazy way of hoping I can spend a bit of that software karma and ask some noob ebike hardware questions ;).

My current ebike is a semi-custom recumbent based on the TSDZ2. But my wife has blessed selling our old tandem and replacing it with this ugly/strange thing. I would then ebikemotize it.

Because of the independent pedaling system that we want to keep from our old tandem, I can't use a mid mounted motor. But I do have some fairly good sized hills near our house. Anyone have a recommendation on a good hub motor for this application?

* about 1000W tops, preferably the ability to use a cassette. I bet 500W would be fine, 250W would not be.
* If center of mass wasn't an issue for climbing/traction I would have preferred to put it in the front wheel, but because of so much weight being at the back of the bike (me), I think it will have to be a rear mounted hub (26" wheel).
* max speed isn't too important - if it stops helping even at 20mph that would be fine. Ideally drag from the motor when just pedaling would be minimal.

Random webpages I've googled imply a Bafang CST 500W fits the bill? But I have no idea if that is the best choice.

Any advice from you people that know about bikes would be appreciated ;)

Thanks much!

The MAC, or the GMAC version from Grin Tech (which doesnt' freewheel so it can be used for regen braking, but will have higher drag when not powered than a DD hubmotor), is probably the highest torque for size and power that I know of.

You can check them (and others) out on the http://ebikes.ca/simulator . If you havent used it before, then first read the entire page so you know what everything is and how to use it. ;)

OT, but since you bring up coding/OSFW, I have a project in mind that may be useful to others regarding an addon to make the Cycle Analyst v3 able to do pure torque control from startup, among other things...but I don't know how to code (not this kind of stuff, and it's been decades since BASIC on the Apple ][ and Vic20 and assembly / hex on the 680x MCUs)....

Thank you very much! That website looks awesome. I will play around with it and report back.

re: cycle analyst
No idea - I've never looked into "cycle analyst" but I will investigate.

geeksville said:
re: cycle analyst
No idea - I've never looked into "cycle analyst" but I will investigate.
To keep the OT in this thread minimal for you, I have a thread that has ideas I wanted to implement in hardware (would still like to but in software as much as possible), over here, and I'll reply there.
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=92973&p=1556213#p1362521

Unrelated to that, but also a CA-related project that would need a coder with display / GUI experience:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=104795

Another question for ya'll:

I had been thinking I would need to use a hub motor because the IPS pedals my wife likes our our tandem would preclude using a mid-drive motor. But I just went out and looked at my TSDZ-2 based ebike and noticed that that motor will nicely let the 'captain' (if in a tandem config) stop pedaling and the chain can still keep spinning around the pedals (because of the motor clutch). So I wouldn't need to use the fancy IPS mechanism there.

Are the Bafang mid-drive motors the same way? If so, I could just use a mid-drive and have better hill climbing that allows. Plausible? (I think the TSDZ2 - though I love it is too small for this application)

geeksville said:
Another question for ya'll:

I had been thinking
Ut Ohhhhhh

I would need to use a hub motor because the IPS pedals my wife likes our our tandem would preclude using a mid-drive motor. But I just went out and looked at my TSDZ-2 based ebike and noticed that that motor will nicely let the 'captain' (if in a tandem config) stop pedaling and the chain can still keep spinning around the pedals (because of the motor clutch). So I wouldn't need to use the fancy IPS mechanism there.

Are the Bafang mid-drive motors the same way? If so, I could just use a mid-drive and have better hill climbing that allows. Plausible? (I think the TSDZ2 - though I love it is too small for this application)

Back