Advice on Frame for New Build

According to the Elephant Bike site referenced earlier the Royal Mail Bike has 26x1-3/4 inch rear tie and an a 24x1-3/4 inch front tire. They also make reference to 3 speed hub gears with a trigger shifter. Considering the age and provenance of this design that surely has to mean a British made Sturney Archer internally geared rear hub (IGH). I am also going to go out on a limb here and predict it has British threaded bottom bracket.

Brakes:
There are two predominate schools of thought on brakes. Some people prefer disk brakes and maintain that they are superior to rim brakes. The other side prefers rim brakes and feel that they are superior to disk brakes. Personally I prefer to think of rim brakes as disk brakes with a really big rotors.

Caliper rim brakes (single or dual pivot) can be installed on most bicycles because they only require a single mounting bolt for each wheel that just happens to be where the fenders mount as well. Most bicycle frames have these two mounting holes incorporated into their frames.

Other forms of rim brakes ("V" brakes, "U" brakes, cantilever brakes, roller brakes) require two pivot pins that are typically welded to rear seat stays and the fork blades.

Disk brakes use a rotor that is attached to the hub. A caliper "squeezes" the rotor to stop the wheel. The caliper in this case is attached to the fork or the rear triangle via a special mount that is most often part of the frame design design. Aftermarket caliper mounts may be welded or bolted to the frame or fork.

There are also a some other brake types such as drum brakes, band brakes, spoon brakes. People have been riding bicycles for more than a century and during that period they have tried nearly every method of stopping a bicycle that can be imagined. Running into a masonry wall is probably still the most effective though painful method.

LewTwo said:
According to the Elephant Bike site referenced earlier the Royal Mail Bike has 26x1-3/4 inch rear tie and an a 24x1-3/4 inch front tire. They also make reference to 3 speed hub gears with a trigger shifter. Considering the age and provenance of this design that surely has to mean a British made Sturney Archer internally geared rear hub (IGH). I am also going to go out on a limb here and predict it has British threaded bottom bracket.

Brakes:
There are two predominate schools of thought on brakes. Some people prefer disk brakes and maintain that they are superior to rim brakes. The other side prefers rim brakes and feel that they are superior to disk brakes. Personally I prefer to think of rim brakes as disk brakes with a really big rotors.

Caliper rim brakes (single or dual pivot) can be installed on most bicycles because they only require a single mounting bolt for each wheel that just happens to be where the fenders mount as well. Most bicycle frames have these two mounting holes incorporated into their frames.

Other forms of rim brakes ("V" brakes, "U" brakes, cantilever brakes, roller brakes) require two pivot pins that are typically welded to rear seat stays and the fork blades.

Disk brakes use a rotor that is attached to the hub. A caliper "squeezes" the rotor to stop the wheel. The caliper in this case is attached to the fork or the rear triangle via a special mount that is most often part of the frame design design. Aftermarket caliper mounts may be welded or bolted to the frame or fork.

There are also a some other brake types such as drum brakes, band brakes, spoon brakes. People have been riding bicycles for more than a century and during that period they have tried nearly every method of stopping a bicycle that can be imagined. Running into a masonry wall is probably still the most effective though painful method.

Thanks for that LewTwo. I didn't realise Caliper brakes differed from cantilever or v brakes. Good to know. Keeps some options open.

The Elephant Bikes are UK mail bikes so there's no guarantee they'll be the same setup, but there's a good chance the Irish mail service would buy from the same supplier.

Any thoughts on the difficulty in converting an IGH to single speed? It seems like it should be straightforward but I've never dealt with them before so don't know.

cycleops612 said:
simple answer is u cant have 2 hubs on same wheel. it can only contain a discrete int gear HUB OR HUB motor

I'd be looking to remove the IGH and replace it with a single speed. I'd happily live without gear choices on this build.

talkingwalnut said:
Any thoughts on the difficulty in converting an IGH to single speed? It seems like it should be straightforward but I've never dealt with them before so don't know.

If you use a front hub motor the obvious question is "WHY"? There is nothing to be gained.
Potential problems that immediately spring to mind are:
... width between the dropouts
... brakes
... chain line

If you use a rear hub motor then the point is mute.

---- Another useless thought ----
This bike cries out for BBS02 mid drive to maintain the intrinsic nostalgic aesthetics. I can imagine a flat pack battery made up to look like a postal parcel complete with brown paper, jute string, address label and cancelled stamps.

V brakes are like a sporty exp of fitness
C brakes are like the decrepit relative
D brakes are like the dumb army buzzcut
CL brakes are like their retarded cousin
H brakes are the mystical god all worship

8)

Good luck/best on your build/repair guy!
Whether that's new wheel, new postal bike, front hub, rear hub, middrive, partial kit, full kit, or a . . . a banana?

LewTwo said:
talkingwalnut said:

If you use a front hub motor the obvious question is "WHY"? There is nothing to be gained.
Potential problems that immediately spring to mind are:
... width between the dropouts
... brakes
... chain line

If you use a rear hub motor then the point is mute.

---- Another useless thought ----
This bike cries out for BBS02 mid drive to maintain the intrinsic nostalgic aesthetics. I can imagine a flat pack battery made up to look like a postal parcel complete with brown paper, jute string, address label and cancelled stamps.

So after all that the bike was gone when I got to the house! Not sure when because I thought she was away until now but that's how it goes sometimes. Slightly gutted since I'd heart set on this project and these bikes don't seem to be readily available in Ireland.

Anyway, I'll continue my search for a suitable candidate. Found a nice looking raleigh pioneer air lite, but it has front suspension so I'm back to my "swap fork" or "swap back wheel" dilemma. I'm probably overly worried about going the back wheel route because the last time was so problematic, but I'm older and wiser now. Of course maybe I should just bite the bullet and just fix the bike I have :D

Thanks to everyone for the help! Really appreciate it and I've learned loads. If I go ahead with the new build I'll let you know.

Back