• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

am i trippin?

atom1025

100 W
So I did some soldering on the 12 fet infineons board. I wanted to check for shorts before plugging in.

I am getting continuity between all three phases. This doesn't seem normal in my mind but I don't see any shorts anywhere. Is continuity between phases normal. My gut says no.

Also the positive and negative input has continuity again seems abnormal but I didn't check if there was continuity before I altered stuff.

I just like to mess with stuff to much and it gets me into trouble lol. Its the only way I learn though.

Adam

PS I hope I'm using the right terminology, I'm just a self taught hack...

Hmmmm id have to say I can't assume that is true yet. I have checked a number of brushless controllers and get same results when I set the meter to "ohm x1k" then touch phase one and phase two it goes to twenty. When I test positive and negative leads I get 2.5.

Since three controllers check the same I'm hoping everything is fine. I will plug in an old pack to test it unless someone here tells me otherwise.

Adam

maybe all 3 phase wires are negative at rest ?

(so all connected to the -ve bus)

Well I plugged it in. Only the ca plugged into it. Ca lit up with correct voltage. Measured 4.5v at the throttle.

No smoke! Think its good. Got myself all stressed out about it.

atom1025 said:
So I did some soldering on the 12 fet infineons board. I wanted to check for shorts before plugging in.

I am getting continuity between all three phases. This doesn't seem normal in my mind but I don't see any shorts anywhere. Is continuity between phases normal. My gut says no.
If you had the motor plugged into the controller at the time, then yes, it would read a short, because the motor coils are essentially a short across each phase, for the DC test of the meter.

Back