• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Ammo Box Padding.

Jethro56

100 W
I put my 8 packs of 5000 mAh turnigy's in my 50 cal Ammo Box. While thinking about how to pad the extra room in front of the batteries I came up with a solution. Put my spare tube in there and partially inflate it. Works great.

It will deflate over time though, just like any bicycle tube.

Go to a hobby shop and get some sticky back 1 inch foam. Or find some styrofoam.... folded bubble wrap. How about getting a small bag put it in the empty space and a can of great stuff expanding foam and spray it into the bag. let it set and then take it off and shave where necessary and you have a lightweight foam block.

Sounds like a good Q&D solution.
Realise that the inner tube may eventually chafe through rendering it useless as a replacement for emergency flat repair.

I use pieces cut from an old wet suit. Works great.

As something to take up space and keep packs from bouncing, I like it.

As a padding material though, I think some self-adhesive foam sheets makes more sense.

I used corrugated plastic to line the box. The tube was to take up space in front of the taped together packs. No bouncing. No sliding around.

I tend to use scraps of anti fatigue mat, closed cell foam. You are on the right track with the coroplast liner. Plastic on heat shrink plastic should keep abrasion down.

You could of course, run one pack down to about .1v, and then you'd have a nice tight fit. :D Just joking, but when I puffed a pack, I was sure glad my battery box could be dismantled to remove the packs. In an ammo box, you'd just about have to cut it open if you puff one good. Preferable not to pierce the dead pack and breath those fumes for sure.

I did hot glue the wetsuit pieces and the glue has not failed. I also added a few strips of wood to slightly compress the wetsuit. they were also glued. Perfect fit.

Back