An ebike IS a "moped"

TheBeastie said:
I am wondering if lithium cells get cheap enough then the kids that go crazy on monkey bikes will jump onto over powered ebikes on the streets.. And yes I am aware of the point of view that lithium cells are already cheap enough, but I don't think we are quite there yet.. These accidents on monkey bikes in Melbourne are pretty frequent.

Never good to hear of this type of accident but just today I had a two stroke bike conversion come flying at me at a good speed looking for a collision, still I look at it a bit like natural selection

I just wrote the Finnish-language version about electric bicycle in Wikipedia, because the old version was hopelessly outdated full of wrong information.
Latest update was from 2007 :mrgreen:
Thing that separates our 1kw e-bikes from mopeds most is that with e-bikes you are allowed to ride everywhere, except off road.
With moped you can not use MUT"s or bicycle paths.

In the U.S. the Monkey bikes are street legal. Anything like the Honda MiniTrail 50 would be a Monkey, as that was the first. You can find electric Monkeys on AliExpress. I'd say the kids shifting to electric Monkeys is simply inevitable.

Got a few responses on the last monkey bike post so I thought I would post this one as well.. was a teenage who hit and killed a woman on his bike and just kept going and didn't stop and then tried to evade police..
http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/teenagers-arrested-after-mother-andrea-lehane-hit-by-monkey-bikes-at-carrum-downs-20150925-gjv4yc.html

[youtube]S1rOIKZCnIM[/youtube]

the e-bike must be registered on the FIM competition list, which is a list agreed by all EU manufacturers for bikes used in off-road sport

I was unaware that EU bike manufacturers could pass laws that google has never heard of.

I watched the gadgit show, where ebikes were trialed around the london city center. One of the presenters was riding about on an illegal bike. On national tv. Nobody cares.

Seems like EU is discussin of allowing 500W S-pedelecs..

https://twitter.com/nielshoe/status/718494618476769282?lang=fi

outright ban 500W monsters?

:wink:

We have 1kw already, so no probs, but it is a strange feeling when you live in a country where 1kw is legal and sky did not fall, to read these kind of opinions.

I watched the gadgit show, where ebikes were trialed around the london city center. One of the presenters was riding about on an illegal bike. On national tv. Nobody cares.

nobody cares now because nobody's died. We're in a cosy transitional time when the police don't know about ebikes at all & provided you keep your nose clean you can ride around with several kilowatts of zip pretty much with impunity. We're just one high profile casualty away from the end of that cosy ignorance. The colonials on here are open mouthed at the thought of a 200W bike, but here we are on a tiny overcrowded island, & I can't help feeling that if you did have some sort of "incident" on an illegal bike you'd get hammered. It's fairly well known that getting caught being illegal (say drunk) on a pushbike puts your driving license in jeopardy (with consequent difficulty/expense getting insurance, for ever), so I'm sort of loth to take the risk any more.
To be honest, 200W is more than my feeble body can put out continuously, and doesn't take a bicycle beyond it's design speed. I'm not too unhappy with it.

Back