Another full suspension build

Robots to assemble things, easy.
Robots to disassemble things, significantly harder.
Robots to disassemble broken things, not currently possible.

Robots to diagnose failure, easy. Relates back to the definition of success and metrics for finding it. Solved for all we care.

. . . But for a robot to fix something, once it knows it's broken... Now that's a problem to solve.

Dangerous problem :idea:

. . .

"Man in the middle" is how every single one of these eventualities is converged on.

"Robot Mechanic" has few similarities to:
- production associate
- car mechanic
- HVAC repair guy

... No
Robot mechanic means that you play the role of man in the middle. Debugging Linux scripts, calibrating, un-frocking, short periods of repetition...

We watch you

. . . When we detect repetition, we we attempt to replace that with mechanism.

sometimes the man in the middle is just there to bridge a technology Gap.

Sometimes the man in the middle is there... . ...

No
all man in the middle situations are there to bridge a technology Gap. Maybe software, maybe hardware, likely some mix of the two. It is impossible to design these things in SolidWorks. . . And have them work.

... The only solutions that work are those that iteratively converge on the ultimate solution by accepting "man in the middle" as a completely valid short-term solution.

Immediate
Short Term
Long Term

The immediate is just being realistic with your expectations. The short-term is where you employ man in the middle to jump the gap. The long-term has to be set to no longer than 5 or 10 years.. . And no shorter than something like nine months.

-methods

I checked out that old analog power supply. It's plenty stable to roll 10 millivolt steps with no load. You can see in the pic that I can roll

Screenshot_20201220-172052_compress40.jpg

If you drop down to the 4.2V, my fluke resolves to the point where it looks like it's all over the place. . .

What really differentiates power supplies is there response to a dynamic load. Testing that's pretty easy... Just hook up your ebike and full throttle a little.

:twisted:

Then cut some slack and full throttle a little under load.

Better if you can datalog the response. . . But you can just listen for it too. If you get any kind of brown out or lock up you know it's sagging too hard.

"Sagging" is the time it takes for the power supply to change to the new demand. "Oversampled"

"Overshoot" ... Is if it bounces back too high
"Underdamped"

... You could make a crappy power supply work by making it overdamped. A good power supply is "critically damped".

... Real old stuff can be in full oscillation :cry:

-methods

It's rated for 13 amps and I got 16 out of it.

There's no AC ripple on the unloaded voltage output.

I loaded it to a few hundred watts and it held... So I'm pretty sure the Caps aren't dried out.

It's loud and screechy and a little jumpy. It's easy to hit higher voltages but to tune in lower voltages precisely you have to fiddle with a course and find knob.

... It weighs a flipping ton. Transformer Based, so I'll have to check it's AC and DC isolation.

My advice is to only buy power supplies that have a digital display for volts and amps. Continuous digital knob for setting.

If there's any kind of level buttons (1amp or 10amp) that's a sure sign that it's garbage. If the primary weight comes from a transformer... Good chance it's garbage.

Look inside
If most of what you see (isn't) transformer then it's probably good.

Right now?
Uh... Used?

60V * 18A = ~ 1kw
That will cost you $420... So $0.42/watt USED

That's for something that can run 120 or 240 single phase... So something you can run anywhere including your house. If you want to pay less you get into three phase power supplies... So include the cost of a transformer.

-methods

Power supplies are rated by power. . . So choose wisely and how that's broken up.

Power is volts times amps

Volts are generally more useful than amps. a 60 volt 18 amp power supply will get you a lot farther than a 30 volt 36 amp Supply. You got to think about how and where you would use it.

Where would you even use 36 amps????

I would say that if you're using 36 amps, you're probably more in the market for a fixed output power supply. Those are dirt cheap.

Above I'm talking about variable power supply which is a lab power supply. It can just as easily put out 4 volts as 40 volts. Dangerous but useful.

5 amps often isn't enough. 10 amps eh... Usually does it. 20 oz probably going to cover everything you need.

As I've said many times my favorite power supply is 60 volt 18 amp. Sorenson... Because they have an excellent transient response for the price. Reasonably light, slim...

they're meant to be rack mount so they have a huge footprint.

... If you're looking for a fixed Supply, meanwell. Assume you'll get only 10% variation on the target voltage. Carefully choose one that cvcc. If you don't buy a potted unit then realize it better have a fan or you're going to have to add one.

Potted units are very heavy.

I shop TRC for those. Read the data sheet and pay attention.

I have never had a mean well power supply fail me. they aren't suitable for medical equipment, but they're plenty good to get the job done.

They're like a Ryobi*

-methods

He's going in for the kill. 12-in starfish versus muscle.

IMG_20201220_175854_compress93.jpg

I downloaded some app for free in like 5 seconds that allowed me to adjust the white balance. Android for the win!

IMG_20201220_175814_compress25.jpg

Play store is just a safe as whatever garbage store Apple has. If you actually know how to use a computer. .. ... PC and Android rock. If you want to be a numbskull, go strictly with Apple.

You CAN install malicious things on a PC or an Android. This is because it's actually an open platform. The flip side is that you can also develop for them*

You can easily develop for them. . . And drivers are widely available and free.

... Most software developers these days use Linux. Don't get me started on Linux. About the only thing it has going for it is that it ports down to a $1 embedded chip.

-methods

methods said:
I downloaded some app for free...
Nothing is really free. (You know that.) If it's "free," then YOU are the product. They are making money off YOU.

Better check to see where your "free" app is phoning home to. Why is is sending out your location information? Why is is accessing your contacts list? Etc.

IMG_20201220_182149_compress36.jpg

Starfish expand and contract. When they crunch down they're very rigid. . . But once they get comfortable they get pretty spongy.

Starfish are like e-bikes.

Uh... (Kid yells at me)
Okay starfish are nothing like ebikes, but we got to figure out where the two come together.

Digging and digging, refining and refining, throwing away... All while nature has it completely figured out.

Folks who are already making money will have you believe that we are some kind of epic Lords of the Earth.

What we are is trolls. Nasty, filthy, greedy, delusional trolls.

... We got to figure out how to organically produce power

-methods

99t4 said:
methods said:
I downloaded some app for free...
Nothing is really free. (You know that.) If it's "free," then YOU are the product. They are making money off YOU.

Better check to see where your "free" app is phoning home to. Why is is sending out your location information? Why is is accessing your contacts list? Etc.

There is a lot of Truth to that. There are also tools to monitor your network traffic.

when I installed the app it asked permission to access my my camera. It then asked permission to access my files. That is not yet asked permission to access the internet. . . And I don't know if Android still enforces that.

... Many apps are free because they're just trying to get some traction.

as far as the buying and selling them information. . . What you say is obviously true. Facebook is a piece of s***. . . But look what it produces.

Your information is incredibly valuable, especially to governments and those who wish to control.

Prague raw information. . . Eh. . . Not so much.

Parsed information?
At least information which is parsable?
Very valuable indeed.

. . .

We will be giving up our privacy, count on that. If you fight it, you will be frozen out. Proof to that is cell phones.

. . .

So...
Barter is what it really is. You can barter your information instead of paying cash. :mrgreen:

Just make sure that you get a good value for your personal information*

Apple spills it to the government just as readily (if not more readily) than PC or Android.

In the end you either have to figure out who you're more afraid of (business or government)

Or

What I prefer

You have to fight fire with fire*

-methods

On the topic of your location

5G will give a much tighter location via triangulation

Cellular's still pretty loose but tight enough to find you

Wi-Fi is within a hundred yards

Ble is within a few inches

if you use any sort of wireless headgear with an apple or an Android. . . That I know exactly where you are at in the aisle.

Not which aisle of Home Depot you're on... Not just how far down the aisle you are... But what side of the aisle you're on (assuming it's in your pocket and not in the cart).

there's a free programming language called MIT app inventor too which will allow you to experiment with this. I've built some ble based programs. They work very well and they go many many many many many meters.

Even with a cheesy ass Arduino $20 ble beacon. . . Through walls, other end of the house, no problem. Across the big up in space no problem.

When you start triangulating multiple ble. For instance if I can associate your ble with your friends Ble... A lot of data can be pulled out of that.

I keep ble off of my phone. I don't use any kind of wireless headset. I use analog earphones that plug in.

Once I have your BLE Mac address (which you ARE broadcasting) I can pull up next to your house and tell which room you're in :mrgreen:

How do I get your ble mac address?

Super simple process of elimination. At any given time there's four or ten or fifteen. Just data log and look for the one that keeps popping up.

That's you 🤗

-methods

Spoofing?

Same as spoofing your Mac address on a computer over the internet. You can very easily misrepresent yourself.

Chinese websites will sell you anything. . .

If you see something that looks kind of cheesy but a lot of people buy it. . . Oftentimes that's because it comes with a vulnerability.

Anyhow

It's all documented.

-methods

Finest knife sharpener I've ever used.

IMG_20201220_201356_compress23.jpg

Cost me $10 at San Lorenzo Lumber, checkout line item.

MVIMG_20201220_201416_compress28.jpg

You set the knife blade up, tip a little off the edge, fist this thing, and drag it down the blade.

. . . Eh
They mean it when they say "don't press too hard" - you don't need to! This thing leaves a tiny pile of steel under the blade after just a few pulls. :shock:

On a sharpish blade... Just slide it down easy a few times. Can't say it will achieve ninja shit, but it helps.

Where it really helps is on a blade that's totally f*****. I had five knives that could barely cut butter. As fast and sloppy as I could... I yanked them out of the drawer, rudely stroked them with this device 10 or 30 times, now all my knives are plenty sharp to get the job done.

Not to be compared with fancy electric sharpeners that have two stages. This is 10 bucks and it has a reversible cutter.

Best 10 bucks I ever spent.

... All I have to compare with is a sharpening stone (boy scout), a honing rod (grandpa's for the carving knife), an electric sharpener I had a decade ago, and the guy at the flea marketer does it with a belt sander.

Belt Sanders for the win... This thing drops in your toolbox. I don't know about you but I don't need any more big tools. I need small tools that work. I'm not going to shave with this thing. . . I'm going to cut meat.

... Cuts paper plenty good.

On my flea market knives, they are now Sharp.
On my high quality knife (I went super easy) I could feel the improvement.

My test is just to run my finger across the blade. Feel the frequency.

-methods

Apple won't let you touch the NFC, on Android it is completely open.

From the play store (Android) you can download any number of apps which will expose ble capabilities. You get a MAC and the distance it is from you.

To make a low cost beacon it costs about 20 bucks. Any of the adafruit arduinos (feather is what I use) will expose the same API. in the same feather form factor you can get anything from a low power u32 all the way up to a power hog.

If you're intent is to place a bunch of beacons and report to AWS (eh hem. . .) You will probably need a co-processor (or some time) to get Signature V4 functional on a u32. With any of the more powerful processors it's trivial.

Since you will be battery powered. . . think long and hard before running stock code on a more powerful unit. You will just train batteries. You will have to put significant work into Wi-Fi to get it running efficiently. It will last a lot longer if you find a way to do it without encryption (eh hem).

. . . Most of the crap out there is just reporting to a local Wi-Fi. They drop a hundred of these things and their own Wi-Fi setup. You either need to have your own Wi-Fi beacon (which ANY Android can be) or you'll have to go straight to the cloud via 2G.

... You'll need a 32 gig micro SD card. . . And you will want to smash the data down tiny. the energy consumed to compress the data as a tiny fraction of the energy consumed to transmit the data :mrgreen:

Eh. . .

To tie that back into the value of your personal data. . .

Logging seven terabytes of ble behavior is of zero value if you can't match match unique identities to other properties.

Profession...

To get to those the easiest way is to get someone's identity. Best way to get that. . . Is to get someone to install your cheesy app that gives them 5% off coupons :mrgreen:

I never install any of that s***

Anonymized (or in this case anonymous) data is still very valuable. You already know what type of people are shopping at your store. Would you might want to know is the order that they go to the store.

Days
Weeks
Months
Years. . .

Same Mac address
Same patterns

Thousands and thousands of people a week. . . Patterns.

Now you develop an algorithm :roll:

This Mac address is a contractor
This Mac address is a remodeler
This Mac address is a thief
This Mac address is. . . A terrorist

Or... Maybe... Future terrorist?

... You can see where the thought process goes. There are rooms and rooms and rooms and rooms and rooms and rooms and rooms...

Rooms and rooms and rooms

Rooms and rooms

. . . And rooms

Full of people who do nothing but this all day everyday.

... They need promotions and raises. They need to show output for their directive. They want to catch bad guys. . .

... That's part of what a war on terror looks like. It's quite terrifying. . . But not nearly as terrifying as what we do overseas.

-methods

Before we get back on e-bikes. . . where everybody in every way uses ble the transmit data back and forth between hardware and your primary interface... Which is of course your phone...

go to the archive and download all of the vice videos from before they were bought by HBO.

Watch all of them.

-methods

methods said:
Before we get back on e-bikes. . .

I use the two sentence search algorithm. If there's nothing about e-bikes in the first two sentences, auto-hits the back button and revisits the thread only when there's a new post. Believe me, it saves a LOT of time. :bigthumb:

You can set it to one sentence, but then you start losing good posts where the background might not contain some of the key word searches. :shock:

I think I need to build in some AI, since this one slipped in, simply by including the word "e-bike"/"ebike" in the first sentence. The problmem is, then it will need to read the entire post, to reject it, which will impact performance. More complicated logic. :roll:

I've found that paying close attention to what Smart People write pays off,

not "no matter the topic" but certainly any posts that have **any relation at all** to any of the hundreds of topics that interest me.

Serendipity in the universe has been a positive, very powerful factor in my life, not to mention Synchronicity.

The mind has a near infinite capacity to take in data, and amazingly good at cross-referencing, recognizing patterns, correlating trends. . .

Sometimes you have no idea at the time what is valuable, pops up years later, sometimes waking you up middle of the night or "aha" while in the shower.

john61ct said:
The mind has a near infinite capacity to take in data, and amazingly good at cross-referencing, recognizing patterns, correlating trends. . .
Maybe, when the grey matter pack is new. But as the pack ages, the cycle efficiency goes down, and at some point the pack is losing more information that it can accept and retain. I think at that point you need to focus on taking in directly relevant information, in order to not retain the less useful information over the useful and relevant information.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The starfish has climbed up top the muscle, pushed his stomach out of his mouth into the muscles shell, soaked the muscle and digestive fluids. . .

Soon the muscle will be goo, then the starfish will slurp his stomach and the muscle stew back up :eek:

IMG_20201221_072528_compress28.jpg

Leaving nothing but an empty shell

. . .

That is somewhat similar to how we recycle.

What I have seen is that we throw complex assemblies into a giant thrasher smasher grinder machine. We then use different classification methods to sort what comes out.

Classifying by size first, to ensure things are ground up far enough.

You can shake classify very easily to get the heavy stuff to the bottom, like gold panning.

You can float classify. . . With any number of solutions of different specific gravities.

... Then solvents

From what I have experimented with you either try to directly dissolve what you want, or do everything but dissolve what you want.

The obvious solution is to design for upcycling and durable goods.

People as a whole have to pay more for this upfront.

Higher quality design

Race to the bottom. . .
First loser in the race to the bottom is nature.

-methods

Yea...
I left off the step where they just burned things off at different temperatures :?

With an expensive enough process you can avoid shooting all that crap into the atmosphere. . .

BUT IF YOU WANT TO KEEP BUYING CHEAP S*** FROM CHINA

Then you need to accept that you're taking part in a very filthy recycling process.

CHEAPEST

Means that you don't want to pay extra for the very expensive equipment and process that is necessary to do clean recycling.

It just is. . . No need to debate order of magnitude or whose fault it is.

-methods

I don't spend my time reading other people's stuff anymore.

If I reach a dead end in something I'm trying to do, or time runs out, or my efficiency drops below and acceptable level. . . I start doing very complex search strings at the Google level.

If I'm just looking for inspiration, I do random depth plunges. I go 2/3 into 600 posts. . . And start skimming.

I did this yesterday in the stealth owners thread and found A rad YouTube video of a guy thrashing sooooo hard.

[youtube]B6N0L_Wn_CY[/youtube]

-methods

That's exactly what zero motorcycles was trying to do over a decade ago. Informal proof that the technology we have today was not widely available.

The battery is definitely weren't there
The controller algorithms were certainly not there
The mosfets weren't there
The design tools weren't there

I am certain that the existence of this forum help to make that bike possible.

-methods

john61ct said:
Sometimes you have no idea at the time what is valuable, pops up years later, sometimes waking you up middle of the night or "aha" while in the shower.

Very true
If you recognize something as valuable information. . . Then it is just adding to something you already know or are convinced of. The hardest part of problem solving is attacking the total unknown.

If you were are facing the total unknown. . . Then you will not see the value in the data, until you have a point of reference or a better understanding.

Everybody's gray matter is running a different algorithm. I've worked with a lot of people who can directly access their complete memory. These people are usually isolated, literally. .... Because they have to be.

It's a long story, but you will find crazy people on the street who have that sort of memory. The problem is that it remembers everything, the good and the bad. . . And with the information of the memories. . . Comes either emotions or a total replay.

Intolerable

In the workplace I found that most people have tricks to pull up cues to information. They usually will index context instead of the exact information.

They may not be able to give you the details of something, but they can tell you where they read about it, and they can get back there and find it with keyword searches.

. . .

A lot of people gravitate towards solving things they fundamentally understand. The woodworker is a good example. Every project brings new challenges, but fundamentally it's the same solution set.

Saws and drills and glue.
Lathe, bandsaw, belt sander...

They follow a procedure and get to a desired result.

What's really hard is solving for something that is not well understood. there's no point of reference and you have no idea where to start.

The only way to solve one of those is to try and cross-reference other known procedures.

Plumbers do it this way
Electricians do it this way
Framers do it this way
Car mechanics do it this way
Technician does it this way
PhD scientist does it this way
. . .

I often just roam the aisles of Home Depot looking for inspiration. Not really raw inspiration, but practical inspiration.

These pieces are made in Mass quantity
These pieces are made in Mass quantity
These pieces all fit with these pieces....

From that really practical and simple solutions can come together that don't require a bunch of engineering.

Most recently, I started using ABS pipes to make waterproof housings. We machine a cutout in the lid where I attach Deutsche connectors.

DTM
DT
DTP

That's mini, normal, power

Multi-pin, low-cost, easy to cramp, easy to rework, I'd IP67 connectors. The primary problem is that they're too big. . . So on the things I'm professionally working on. . . We use much smaller connectors :twisted:

I still like the Deutsche connectors - mostly for the fact that they come with machined pins and sockets that crimp beautifully easy. Steer clear of the stamped pins and sockets, they are no easier to work with than molex.

. . .

I'm going to open up KiCad in a few minutes here. . . And just start making something. PCB layout is an extremely valuable skill. It's the equivalent to being able to to plumbing and framing.

If you try to build a house and not do any plumbing electrical of framing. . . It's going to be a rough go.

if you try to really get into electronics without being able to lay out a simple two layer PCB board. . . You'll never really get to enjoy the fun part.

Over the next few months I'm going to open source develop the basics again.

* Set up a website
* Make some PCB boards
* Set up e-commerce

. . . Consider it a part of the Gig economy. It is not intended to pay the bills. the purpose is to offset the cost of hobbies and allow you to get into more expensive stuff.

I've demonstrated it before, but I'm older and wiser now.

First step?
Don't try to make a profit. Just try to make something that doesn't suck.

You sell things that cost to get feedback. Feedback is extremely valuable :idea:

-methods

One empty muscle shell.
Documentation says they can eat 50 a week. This one took over 12 hours.

IMG_20201221_184048_compress17.jpg

In other news...
I got my PC back so there will be trouble staring at 0420 tomorrow. I have some professional work and some hobby work to do. If anyone has questions about KiCad . . you can ask. I am no master of it, but I know how to make it do my bidding :mrgreen:

-methods

Pond review voice to text garble was at least 10 to 20%.

I can't wait to get back to the keyboard. I use the Android just because I have to. . . There was a time when typing on the Android gave me so much anxiety that I could not do it.

Now I can, very fast. . . But not nearly as fast as voice to text.

-methods

Back