Any heavy-duty twist throttle on the market?

peters

1 kW
My chinese plastic throttle broke when I drove through some potholes.
These throttles seem absolutely not safe, not only because they can break, but because the hall sensors in them are bipolar sensors. So when they break and both magnets are away from the sensor, they send 2.5V to the controller as if it was a half throttle, and the motor just runs further...

Anyone had similar problems?
Is there any better choice, made of metal, that is compatible with bicycle handlebars?
I prefer half grip throttles, so I can grab the outer solid grip.

I have had few problems with the cheap throttles except for the thumb tab breaking off. Plenty of crashes, hitting bumps with the thing cranked to wot. I'm not mr gentle here. If it's not breaking for me, it's good.

I'd say just pick up a pair of half twist throttles someplace, but not where you got the last one. That way you have one, and a spare if you need it.

These days, metal is no guarantee it's better, not Chinese mystery metal.

Motorcycle throttle cabled to a pot is how they do it on better motorcycle conversions.

i used this arrangment to convert a cable throt to a hall throt, pots are not reliable enough for my liking :D
In this pic the magnets and halls sensor is not fitted and this was a prototype so now it all lives in a nice narrow plastic box .
throt2.jpg

That also looks rugged.

I've got some awful darn scuffed up throttles. But sometimes the wrong plastic gets used, and stuff ends up quite brittle. There is no way they have the feel of a motorcycle throttle though.

Do you get a finer control of the throttle setting with that rig? THAT would be the real reason to do something else. Especially with the 72v and higher setups.

The throttle is a very lightweight/ very durable trials throttle ( but any regular single cable motorcycle throttle can be used ) you can get a fast action or slow action throttle tubes for them so it is very configurable once the 2 magnets are installed with the hall sensor set in between then it makes it very easy to adjust so there is no dead spot ( by moving the hall left or right by bending it slightly ), the only problem that can occur is movement in the cable when turning the handle bars but if setup correctly this is not a problem ( no different than if it was a regular throttle on a trials bike ).

edit: my bike have been dropped many times on the throttle and there have been no damage (yet) it is also more fail safe than a e-bike hall throttle , and its 100% better than a magura pot throttle ( far more consistent ) ( also works out about half the price of a magura :wink: ) and very easy to make.

Back