• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

If the original fat tire bike had a 9 speed cassette for rear gears and new wheel has a 7 speed freewheel will I have to change chain? Tried existing chain and it wasn't sitting in freewheel all the way.

Yep. 7 speed is a thicker, wider chain. You may have trouble with the 7 speed chain and the front sprocket and derailleur too. The good news is with a hub motor, you really won't need many gears. you probably won't ever use more than 3.

I built my Fatbike as a single speed after learning from a previous ebike build. I'd put the cable on wrong on that previous ebike, and it could never have been shifted. I didn't catch the mistake for a year. I'd just never tried to shift in all that time.

'If they are offset, which is normal for most motors now, that can totally be reversed, which will offset the rim to the brake side, and give you a good bit of clearance. It does involve taking the motor apart, but nothing more complicated than taking the side cover off, pulling outer ring off, and slapping it back on in reverse.

With that done, you probably can make the rest of the adjustments with just a spoke truing. no re-drilling or new spokes should be needed"

Have you reversed the covers yet? I'm really interested, simple and affective.
7 speed chain 1/2 x3/32
9 speed chain 1/2 x 11/128
So yes you will need a 7 speed chain KMC Z51 $15 at any bike shop
Chain ring? If your running a single you should only see an issue under a load if you are you using a entry level derailleur. If you can find a old stx it would work nicely the few times you use it. If their is ever a problem with the chain jumping off the chain ring put on "any" front derailleur and your good. If your running a double or triple change them out and you will not need to it in future to rule and a problem. My opinion

Update on fat tire bike, guy who laced motor into wheel does not want to work with me. I removed motor and spokes from double walled wheel, not knowing I did not have to do that to reverse motor covers like Drunkskunk suggested. See attached pictures to see what I'm stuck with now. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Do these motors have a direction to them? If I completely reversed motor from original position wondering if I could get even space between dropouts or pulling the motor apart with gear puller is my best option.(learned this after removing all the spokes).

Attachments

• SAM_1605-picsay.JPG
    SAM_1605-picsay.JPG
    88.9 KB · Views: 450
  • SAM_1606-picsay.JPG
    SAM_1606-picsay.JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 450
  • SAM_1608-picsay.JPG
    SAM_1608-picsay.JPG
    77.6 KB · Views: 450
  • 20140715_003112-picsay.jpg
    20140715_003112-picsay.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 450
Your welcome to come up and use the shop to re-lace that wheel if no one locally will do it for you. I have the park TS-2.2 ,WAG-4 and TM-1. I'll walk you through it, you will really understand wheels better when your done.

Thanks Todd I appreciate it, have to figure out how to seperate hub motor and flip covers before I do come up. I had anticipated that just removing the set screws would be enough. Know I'm going to need a free wheel tool to remove.

Advance Auto Parts has a loaner program, it's not bad I used it last week when I need to remove the chain-ring from my Tonaro mid drive..... Now running a 56 tooth chain-ring.

not for the free wheel - the puller to swap your covers

Free wheel tool - cheep / use a vise and the tool

Can try to find that out from ebay seller, it's 48V1000W but in regards to make and windings not sure. Know it's a higher rpm which I was hoping to get more torque/lower rpm but this is all he offered.

Todd looked everwhere on that motor for something could not find a thing. I looked at some Youtube videos on how to remove cover whoever made motor must of sprayed seams pretty thick because I can't see seam anywhere. If you know anybody looking for a fat tire conversion kit let me know. This is out of my league. Still want to come up though and check out the bike shop.

Teaker68;
I'm sure we can find someone for your kit. What does your kit include?
I also want to inform you and invite you to a meeting with ten other bike guy's with a mix of skills to bring (if everyone can make it) at the new shop at https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&...s&ei=kvrIU82ULKfN8wHFx4CQCA&ved=0CBQQ8gEoADAA on Friday August 1st at 4p.m. to discuss the a collaboration of a cargo/commuter/utility bike build.
This should be a full evening, the meeting will end before the start of the the screening of Power to the Pedals movie at the Hooker-Dunham Theater http://www.hookerdunham.org/#!power-to-the-pedal/cbwm/url] on Main St.

Back