• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Astroflight 60 build turned brushless

1. What are the small gage wires on the battery connections for?
2. Do you have any concerns that the controller might overheat inside the box during the summer months?

the small wires go to the BEC, and no not really concerned about heat yet, I'm keeping it under 500 watts so I don't stress the battery so heat shouldn't be a problem. I am already thinking about more speed though :twisted:

I can't find the exact thread entry where Justin says this, but I remember that he reported that on his Trans-Canada trip he found the 1-watt light more useful than his 10 watt HID light. Have a look at:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5652&p=84634&hilit=lights#p84634
This is a quote from that post
However, for going fast the 1 watts of LED doesn't light up the road far enough in advance, so there is also a 10 watt HID light on the bar as well.
still shopping for a light.

Perfect application of the caps. I love it!

Thanks, the only reason I knew which caps to buy is I saw you post the ones you bought and though they were out of them at digikey I found them on mouser. Also thanks for being the HV110 guinea pig, I'm glad I wasn't the one that had to blow 3 controllers :D

You should look at Pelican cases

I have and they're $$$, I'd really like to find something cheaper. I ended up buying a $10 toolbox from harbor freight for now.

I got a chance to go for a ride today and after cruising for a few miles i felt the motor and it wasn't even warm, I was surprised because the brushed motors I'm used to heat up quite a bit.
riding in the cold does suck though, does anyone have a fairing on their bike? I'm looking at the zzipper fairing online and although pricey looks like it would really help divert the cold air. I wish their website was better, and the pricing sheet is a disaster.
I ended up getting a full face motorcycle helmet today. Keeps the wind and bugs out of my eyes and I feel MUCH safer. and if anyone messes with me I can beat them with it (sideways reference) :?

Wish I'd seen the Astro before I bought my HXT. I've always revered their quality.

How many caps did you end up adding?

And also, does this setup freewheel, or does the motor turn whenever the rear wheel spins?

I love this project. If I win the lottery, I'm buying it a Pelican or two.

Yeah the astro motors are well made, I added 2 caps here's the exact ones I bought http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=UHE1H102MHD6virtualkey64700000virtualkey647-UHE1H102MHD6

Yes it does freewheel, I bought a rear wheel with threaded hub and screwed on 2 freewheels with a threaded spacer in between similar to a bottom bracket cup.

If I win the lottery, I'm buying it a Pelican or two.

woohoo! I have a one in 80 million chance of getting a pelican :D

Hi,

mud2005 said:
You should look at Pelican cases

I have and they're $$$, I'd really like to find something cheaper. I ended up buying a $10 toolbox from harbor freight for now.

Doskocil cases cost less than similar sizes of Pelicans. Not a very good selection of sizes. Not quite the same build quality but functionally probably just as good (I've got both):
http://www.markertek.com/Product.as...odClass=EQUIPCASES&mfg=Doskocil&search=0&off=
http://www.markertek.com/icat.php?template=f255
http://www.markertek.com/icat.php?template=f254

thanks for the link, but I think I'm going to stick with my $10 tool box for now. I would like to put a cover over the motor for wet weather then maybe I'll improve the battery box.
I tried swapping the 12T for a 16T sprocket to run the back wheel and while it was noticeably quieter It draws more power. It seems that 20mph is about the ideal speed for a 24V 20AH ping pack. If I gear it faster it's difficult to keep the discharge under 1c.
I'll probably end up increasing the size of the 60T sprocket so I can increase the 12T sprocket but still go 20mph. When I was building the bike I wanted it to be as light as possible so I went with the 60T sprocket, but now after riding it I realize an electric bike is not like a regular bike and a few ounces extra weight is not a big deal.

got a chance for a ride today almost 50 and dry pavement :) starting to feel like my ping pack is broken in after a series of short trips and recharges so now I'm ridin full speed and racin cars :) I kept the 16T sprocket and it goes about 24mph and draws somewhere around 20 amps depending on wind and pavement smoothness. I can fly up some pretty steep hills full speed if I pedal a bit and the amps rarely go over 30.
heres some stats from my ride today
I weigh 130lbs
bike weighs about 35-40 lbs.
24V 20 AH ping pack
1261wp(watts peak)
57ap(amps peak) I actually did that before leaving by hitting the throttle while holding brakes to test the system
10.8ah
22vm(volts minimum)
264wh or 19.27 wh per mile
13.7miles ridden
27.5mph max speed
I really was punching it off the line also, I beat every car no prob but there was a bit of belt slippage. might be better than things bending or breaking though :)
I can't imagine what this bike would be like with a 48V pack, I think I'd have to lean forward just to keep from flipping over.

also got a new reflective face shield for my helmet
Join me, and I will complete your training. With our combined strength, we can end this destructive conflict and bring order to the galaxy.
If you only knew the power of the dark side.

Back