Aussie powered bike laws warning guys!

Yes its the bike, just look at :roll: it just screams out crazy experiment bike with all that tape, wires and crap hanging off it .

Take my own trike for example you cant see any wires, controller nothing , the 15s lipo is in the stock bike bag. Its a 2700w ebike/trike but I have never get any grief from the cops not even a 2nd look. I have ridden so many times with people riding non ebikes social group rides and 90% of people don't even pick up that its electric. the most they ask about is whats the tiny hub on the back? Thinking its a internally geared bike( geared hub) and not a electric motor. This is where having a light freewheeling geared hub is handy as its easy to peddle like a stock bike if you want to lay low.

dcd96dea-8a5d-40d1-b7f6-fbcce9e030e9_zps2d559b8e.jpg

kurt

link to the clip is in my post a few back for those than might have missed it.....

the trike is kinda like mine. but i have the CA visible now. im running a very tame system by ES standards. only about 1000w on a geared hub.
the hub is hidden by the saddle bags, and the controller is behind the seat. not as stealthy as yours, but still good enough i think.

i too ride in social groups with non ebikes, never had an issue yet.

Jason.

Cool, thanks for posting it.
Yeah the guy sounded a bit annoyed, but I laughed when he said "go and catch a few of the guys that are dangerous" (on the road) and "poor bastard who's done his license"
Yeah mate, it's not like you lost your license because it fell out of your pocket or someone stole it from you - you lost it for being a danger on the road yourself!

I mean this in all sincerity -

I want to move to Australia. Everyone is so polite.

The drunk kid was still somewhat composed and respectful. The officers were incredibly polite and respectful.

The ebike guy was a little bit more assertive, but still. No where near the circus here in the states....

We are all bat shit crazy!!!!!

For example, this guy (bumper bike dude) rides around the east end of Pittsburgh: (drug transaction @ 3:30 BTW....)
[youtube]GylXgwIw2uM[/youtube]
University Of Pittsburgh vs Pittsburgh Police, 2009 (G20 summit)
[youtube]1cZaNEv5m5Y[/youtube]
Oh, and this guy Nate Harper, Pittsburgh chief of police) is now fired...
[youtube]5pOZaAeIpAo[/youtube]

Just a sample!

:lol:

Diamondback said:
i haven't watched the episode yet, but i recorded it on my pvr. i have edited it to just the 3 mins of the ebike part.

link is here for anyone that wants to see it.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/98954849/ebike.avi

edit... it might take a few minutes for the video to become available.....

edit 2, video should now be available.

Jason.
Der! that bike is a piece of crap looks and safety wise and it is asking to say "book me'. A normal looking bike with a bit of pedalling dont hurt. Inconspicuous is the key word. People ride at over 45 km/h regularly and its common.

People ride at over 45kph but there legs are usually moving :wink: You can see in the video he is overtaking the cars without peddling at all .

Kurt

Thanks for posting the video

Sounds like the guy is fed up with drivers. Wearing high-vis vest and multiple flashers is a good thing. Note the fine is $141 for riding an unregistered vehicle. $1,200 is for riding without license. Cop done nothing wrong of giving him a warning, but I really think they have bigger issues to deal with. Having a messy looking bike, not-pedaling and going over 40 is just asking for trouble.

Yes, thanks again for taking the time to edit and post that video.

+1 on all his high vis clothing!

I'm not sure how much pedaling I do. I might try a PAS sensor, surely a bit of faux pedaling and even that guy (duct tape, wires, 40kph etc) would have had a good chance of not being noticed.

full-throttle said:
Thanks for posting the video

Sounds like the guy is fed up with drivers. Wearing high-vis vest and multiple flashers is a good thing. Note the fine is $141 for riding an unregistered vehicle. $1,200 is for riding without license. Cop done nothing wrong of giving him a warning, but I really think they have bigger issues to deal with. Having a messy looking bike, not-pedaling and going over 40 is just asking for trouble.

I got pulled over beginning of last year cop was impressed with the bike even asked if he could take a pic to show his mates back at the office LoL.. anywayz, i got let off with a 'warning' problem is you get entered into the 'system' so the next time your pulled over (by diferent Officer) soon as they plug in your name they have the information from previous 'encounter'..now what i want to know (i think Spicerack might help here being a former man of the law) what happens on that second occasion, can you get another warning or is tow the bike etc...

KiM

Am I insane or after reading through the ADR and (Victorian) Act,

a/ 200w to 50kph as per ADR

b/ 250w to 25kph with pedaling - as per pedlec acts.

amount to:

c/ 200w to 50kph + an extra 50w below 25kph if pedaling?

Oh and g'day guys, another Ozzie on board :)

Shane

AussieJester said:
(i think Spicerack might help here being a former man of the law) what happens on that second occasion, can you get another warning or is tow the bike etc...

KiM

Who, me? Don't know what you're talking about Kim.

I have heard from a mate of a mate that tbh alot of the time that note never gets added to your name as it's work for the copper and some of them can be a bit lazy or have more important things to worry about.

Worst case is if you're bombing around with a current licence suspension, some of the diehard traffic types will seize your bike and get it dyno tested to see how much power it makes. Of course, if you have a three way switch with position 1 set to 200/250W then you're ok (just remember to set it before they take the bike). From memory they got a professor at one of the unis to test them and he charges a couple of grand which the Police have to pay (but may have tried to recoup at court).

I only know of two cases here in WA where bikes were tested- and both were noisy 2 stroke petrol powered bikes. One had been involved in a serious accident and the other was being driven by a serial no licence offender who was being targetted by the local traffic boys (again I question whether that was the best use of the police resources).

Bottom line is- stealth. Pedal as you go, don't be a dickhead and endeavour to pass the attitude test if the coppers pull you up. :wink:

I stopped a guy on a 49cc 3 stroke Bogan bike today with a coffin fuel tank. He's a funny guy in that he was was convinced it was only 200w. Any way I raced him on my bike and he was pulling away from me not pedalling. Apparently he has regular appointments at the police station and It still didn't stop him riding without a helmet. I think He thought my bike is 200w and there is no harm in that. I think I could ride past the local cop station with a beer in either hand drinking it and look less conspicuous..

after seeing that I know why nobody checks me out.

well..nobody except hot chicks!

dingoEsride said:
3 stroke! must be like a boxer config.
yeah had that guy pedalled a bit he'd have been fine,

_Chris_ said:
I stopped a guy on a 49cc 3 stroke Bogan bike today with a coffin fuel tank.
was a typo but thinking about it the third stroke is a wank..

_Chris_ said:
dingoEsride said:
3 stroke! must be like a boxer config.
yeah had that guy pedalled a bit he'd have been fine,

_Chris_ said:
I stopped a guy on a 49cc 3 stroke Bogan bike today with a coffin fuel tank.
was a typo but thinking about it the third stroke is a wank..

You mean a Wankel?

Wankel_Cycle_anim_en.gif

No, despite only having 3 sides, it still has 4 strokes.

Pretty impressive having it on a bike though. Even with only 49cc, it definitely would have more than 200w.

Edit, no, confusing strokes with stages. Apparently a Wankel *is* a three stroke engine... There goes that joke...

Sunder said:
Edit, no, confusing strokes with stages. Apparently a Wankel *is* a three stroke engine... There goes that joke...
lol funny but I was thinking along the lines of wanker not wankel I hate to say.

_Chris_ said:
Sunder said:
lol funny but I was thinking along the lines of wanker not wankel I hate to say.

I know ;) but its usually fun to take the innocent interpretation and see someone try to explain the less innocent one to me.

Back