Aussie powered bike laws warning guys!

I defiantly concur sunder about being law abiding but not all laws made are made sensibly and if found wanting are in need of challenge.

A good example of the problems with laws and sensibility is like in the Bible where it tells christians they must obey the law of the land they live in Many times in history and even now in North Korea it is against the law to own or use a bible and you havea law out of touch with what the people want for a better life. Just because a law exists it doesn't always make it right for everyone.

In Australia we have either unlicensed weak engined legal pedal assisted bicycles or registered vehicles. There needs to be something in-between with a licensing and insurance system to accommodate these newer technologies not more policing of old technologies which are being superseded rapidly in a changing world.

That is our frustration, we are doing something before our society is ready for the change in Australia to non oil based transport technologies. What we are using now still law wise (one of) was introduced over 20 years ago I can remember for petrol engines.

There has to be a better way than going backwards all the time. We cant always use potential injury as a reason for a blanket ban law in every case, in this case if we applied the same standard to any mechanised transport we would all be walking for safety of the public.

Australia needs to stop living in its self imposed nanny state it has created and move faster with the changing world many other countries are embracing.

Well put Chris but the people involved in changing these laws for cyclists sit on various committees. Steve Hodge is an ambassador for JDRF and he's on various committees.

The thing with electric bicycles the voice is small. We need more high profile people involved before change will happen. Maybe there is.

For change to happen the minority never wins. So I have joined the Australian electric vehicle association

http://www.aeva.asn.au/

_Chris_ said:
In Australia we have either unlicensed weak engined legal pedal assisted bicycles or registered vehicles. There needs to be something in-between with a licensing and insurance system to accommodate these newer technologies not more policing of old technologies which are being superseded rapidly in a changing world.

Definitely agree with this. We need a system of registration for something similar to "mopeds" in other states. Reasonable speed and power limits, some reasonable design requirements, but otherwise equivalent to a motorcycle (Including not being permissible on bike and shared paths).

Right now the laws are useless, and even the most law abiding will admit few people are going to observe them. Still, I reckon most people would respect the authorities if they were busted, and comply with the fine.

Sunder said:
_Chris_ said:

Definitely agree with this. We need a system of registration for something similar to "mopeds" in other states. Reasonable speed and power limits, some reasonable design requirements, but otherwise equivalent to a motorcycle (Including not being permissible on bike and shared paths).

Right now the laws are useless, and even the most law abiding will admit few people are going to observe them. Still, I reckon most people would respect the authorities if they were busted, and comply with the fine.

But how do we push this here in Australia?

I know that Germany has a class of pedelec allowed up to 45kmh. I'm not sure of the power limit (if there is one).
They require a one off fee to register the vehicle and you are issued with a plate that makes you identifiable to police and traffic cameras etc.

EDIT : just found this.

" Germany’s ‘leichtmofa’ class includes electric bikes capable of assistance up to 45km/h (28mph) and with up to 500 watt motors. A licence and insurance is required but not a helmet and the bikes are not allowed on bike paths"

We NEED a similar system here in oz. I would be more than happy to pay a reasonable fee if I were allowed say 750-1500W and 45kmh speed. With an exclusion on bike /shared paths unless you are traveling at lower speeds when on those paths.

Jason.

In thinking of how we could improve these laws it occured today to me that they are discriminatory in that people with disabilities who for whatever reason cannot cycle/pedal,hold a drivers licence or afford a car are ostracised entirely from the benefit of these modes of transport. I wonder if anyone has thought to show people like that the benefits of how they dont have to sit at home relying on lifts off people etc. In a word its freedom transport wise for many having crap lives butinconsideration from the government is a good and valid reason for us to fight it all.

We need a public voice..Because of what we could change. It changed mine with having no drivers licence and opened doors to employment availability and sanity at times.

The problem is nobody has shown people there is that option, if they knew there would be republic outcry from a few people in the community if the understood what they are missing. There is no provision for them except mobility chairs and taxis. As it is it is not a perfect system for many people and they would write it off as an option.

I might start something on change.org and facebook.

250w is not completely useless, it does make a bicycle much easier to pedal great distances for those lacking fitness/motivation/what ever but it's not a viable transport replacement solution for the masses. The "assistance" isn't enough to convince all by existing cyclists to leave their cars at home and if the govt was really serious on bringing about a positive change for the enviroment and combating ever worsening traffic conditions then they'd realise this.

t3sla said:
Ollis salus populi suprema lex esto
Who the hell speaks latin any more :p

ENGLISH_MOTHER_FUCKER.gif

I just saw that highway patrol too. Places in the background show it as Carnegie in south-east Melbourne. What was with the cop saying that anything over 20km/h needs to be registered?!

That petrol-motored bike crash looked nasty, how that guy pulls through.

Dreddydave said:
Man that's terrible :cry:

Maybe the cops are starting to crack down on powered bikes by showing both of those in the same episode? The mass of duct tape might have tipped them off.

Hope not. They do seem to get in the media every now and again with no real follow up, but it's just a matter of time really.

I'm sure if people built to a higher standard, it'd be harder to:

1. Notice them from normal bikes
2. Think of them as home made death traps, which I'm sure some of them are.

that's what i love about my current set up, very stealthy.

the CA is about the only thing that gives the game away.

Jason

Anyone tape the ep ? What was the verdict with the ebike stuff ? I take it the guy wasnt pedalling when they saw him ? Else it'd be VERY hard to prove.

Hyena said:
Anyone tape the ep ? What was the verdict with the ebike stuff ? I take it the guy wasnt pedalling when they saw him ? Else it'd be VERY hard to prove.

Home made bike with two GM hub, didn't see it personally.

my understand was it played out like this

[youtube]m7HaU7-3sE4[/youtube]

I'm sure he wasn't pedalling. The only time I've even been looked at was when I went onto a footpath and gunned it with a V8 taking off at the lights trying to catch me. All other times providing that I'm putting in some effort I don't get a second look.

My advise is gear the bike to the speed that you want to pedal at.

Edit: V8's don't seem to like me.

Cop asked for his license which was suspended. He got done for operating a vehicle with a suspended license, and an unregistered vehicle. The cop was touting that any bike going over 20km/h needed to be registered, and about how bikes "weren't designed to go that fast" because of their brakes etc. Basically had no idea of ebike laws.

He also got done for not wearing a motorbike helmet. Scored $1,200 worth of fines.

Bloke was not happy and I don't blame him. All he was doing was commuting.

I dont think it helped that it was a real frankinbike though.
He was riding like l ride on most days. One of the reasons why I am building the Super Comuter and keeping the Fighter for more off road work rather then everyday commuting.

Back