B52 Stealth Bomber Rookie Build

dpearson2011

10 mW
Hi all.
I’m finally pulling the trigger on a B52 build. I’m hoping for some guidance on a few things.

Frame: Any recommendations on which website to purchase on? Color: matte black
I found one on the below website.
https://www.elecycles.com/3000w-5000w-8000w-electri-bike-frame-bomber-electric-bike-frame.html

Front fork: DNM USD 8s from NBpower on Amazon

Rear suspension: DNM RCP 2S also on Amazon

Motor: QS 273 laced into 19” Moto rim
Sabvoton controller
2020 Newest Stealth Bomber Electric Bike Frame, Enduro Ebike Frame for 3000W/ 5000W/8000W Electric Bicycle DIY Kit,Ebike Conversion kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N0Z27Y0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_052F5MN03M2J7NKVX6PR?psc=1

The frame and kit above seem like they will work together. Anyone disagree?

Battery: 72V, hoping to get 15-20 aH.
I’ll ask EM3EV.com to build for me.

I believe the above would work well and be compatible. Does anyone disagree?
Other feedback welcome also.

Thanks,
Pearson

You are aware that is not a Stealth B52 frame, just another EEB knockoff, correct?

I am aware of that. The dropouts are 170 on the bike and I think that the motor will fit with some extra washers. My main question is, does anyone think the above build will not be compatible with each other?
Thanks.

Should all work together afaik. Just wanted to be sure you knew what you were buying. :thumb:

Don't expect anything to be plug and play however. You're going to have to do the legwork when it comes to wiring it up. Figuring out proper phase/hall combinations, soldering, etc. Again, just to be sure you know what you're getting into, as many don't.

Imho the 273 is overkill and probably won't be necessary. It's very heavy, which matters a great deal, especially if planning to ride offroad. Unless you're planning on carrying a ton of weight uphill, or riding at highway speeds most of the time , the 205 is probably the better option. I have a 205 on my Raptor and it's a great motor. Enough torque to body slam you, enough mass to resist overheating under most circumstances, enough speed to get your toy taken away if you abuse it.

Then again, go big or go home has oft been my motto.

Just throwing that out there.

Yes, I understand that it won’t be all plug and play. I’m planning to continue to make various builds over the years (for the kids etc) so I don’t mind modifying things along the way. I wanted the QS. 273 bc I’m like most people on this forum, I eventually want to upgrade things to get more torque and speed. Are there any sensors that you recommend?

Also, any recommendations for blinkers, turning and brake lights?
- Pearson.

No real suggestion for lighting. I went cheap MEC lights for the time being.

I'd still urge you to consider the 205 over the 273. 99% of experienced users here would likely agree.

273 is a fine motor, don't get me wrong, but you'll never be able to feed it enough power to make use of it on that bike. The added weight will be an absolute detriment to handling as well.

If you're extremely heavy, plan on lugging a heavy trailer, or plan to climb extremely steep hills slowly, then maybe. Aside from that, 205 is the way.

Be prepared for some custom work

Attachments

• IMG_20201122_150636a.jpg
    IMG_20201122_150636a.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 894
Just my 2 cents worth.

If the swing arm on that frame is mounted with a rubber bush, I would seriously suggest that you cut it out, clean up the hole and use ball bearings. A QS273 will make it a bit "snaky" on corners and rough road. (Gained from personal experience).
Do note, if you use a Sabvoton and mount it under the box section, you will not be able to use the controller cover (Far too small for a Sabvoton). Although I built my frame from scratch, it was a copy (Modified to suit me) of that type of frame.
The rear swing arm can twist (that I have learnt) over time and I am now in the process of building a better and stronger one to replace it.
You may find the rear shock is not strong enough for the sprung and unsprung weight. DNM do not make a strong enough spring that you can get. I modified a 1000lb spring to fit (DNM is an odd size) and that was not enough. I then tried 2 x DMN air shocks, but still not enough. Now I use a 1400lb motorcycle spring and remote damper and it is perfect. But, take note, I am heavy, so don't take my spring poundage's as gospel.
Next, front forks. Are you planning to go downhill or over very rough terrain, if not, they are not a good choice for normal riding. Again, learnt from experience. What I found with 200mm travel, was, on braking, the front would dive right down and then if you accelerated it would spring up and almost force a wheelie. Can be fun, but in normal riding circumstances can be dangerous. I opted for Fox 36 air fork. Proved to be spot on.
This leaves one final comment, for me I had a 205 and changed the motor to a 273 and I can honestly say, that if the suspension and swing arm are set up right, you don't feel any difference. I swear by my 273, huge fun and plenty of power.

My bike
QS273, Sabvoton 96120, 22s5p 26650 cell pack and many other bits.
20210530_134838 (1)sm.jpg

I'm going to take the advice from above and go with the QS 205.

Regarding the suspension, I've read about several people having issues with both the rear and front suspension that I will be using. I'm going to stick with the DNM USD 8 and the DNM RCP 2S for now. I can always upgrade later. I will be mostly riding some bike trails around my house and therefore won't exceed 30 very often. I don't plan to do much down hill or jumping.

I've been communicating with NBpower and they have been very responsive. I will be making my first purchase in the near future. I realize that I will have to make some customizations along the way but looking forward to the process.

Any other feedback before I pull the trigger? :D

I hit another snag on this project. EM3EV just told me that “it will be a while before they offer a 72V battery”. The only similar item they have is a 20S5P battery that is rated for 85 amps max. I am hesitant to use LIPO. The company that I am buying the frame from, JBpower, can supply a battery but I have heard it is best to avoid dealers that are not that well known. Does anyone have any refs for reputable company that can make a 72V 15-20AH battery for this project?

dpearson2011 said:
I hit another snag on this project. EM3EV just told me that “it will be a while before they offer a 72V battery”. The only similar item they have is a 20S5P battery that is rated for 85 amps max. I am hesitant to use LIPO. The company that I am buying the frame from, JBpower, can supply a battery but I have heard it is best to avoid dealers that are not that well known. Does anyone have any refs for reputable company that can make a 72V 15-20AH battery for this project?

Upp on Amazon
You can use their generic cells but they’re only good for about 60 amp discharge. Sounds like you’re looking for more current so they build with any cells you want.

dpearson2011 said:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N0Z27Y0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_052F5MN03M2J7NKVX6PR?psc=1

Yeah this frame is one of the better looking ones. Considered buying this frame at one point. Have you ordered this frame yet?

HK12K said:
Enough torque to body slam you, enough mass to resist overheating under most circumstances, enough speed to get your toy taken away if you abuse it,
Wise words 8) think if you want match other components, no weak links,
gonna need a pack with brand name cells (probly Samsung) bit more cost but be icing on the cake for your bike :bolt: ( I call stealth frame bikes Ecycles power is more like a motorcycle) :) seen quite a few stealth style frames with Dnm shocks should be all good on that front ,
Great pics Jonno (love to take this bike on a dirt bike track) and Santacruz proper speed machines looks like lot of work get that qs273 tamed :mrgreen:

I have a USD8 fork on mine and it's fine for what I do with the bike. A better one would be nice, but not currently worth the expense to me. A DVO would look really nice up front though.

That said I am using a Fox FX4 Kashima out back and think it's worth it, at least to me.

Back