Bafang BBS02 Throttle Protect Programming?

kevind

1 µW
Hi all, I have a bike with the 750w Bafang BBS02 motor and I was towing my children in a trailer which caused significant load. A couple years back I was not shifting properly and relied on the motor (throttle) to start me off front a red light at a high gear. This of course blew the motor and I had to get a new motor. The shop that I bought the motor gave me replacement (same model motor) with a protective feature to help prevent this. Essentially, the motor will not kick in until I have pedaled one or two strokes manually when getting started at a stop light. Regardless of attempting to press throttle or PAS, the motor will not start helping me until I get like 1-2 MPH speed manually. This allows the bike to get some momentum before the motors helps out, preventing risk of blow. But it also does another import thing - if the bike is at rest (and bike is powered ON) and a child accidentally bumps the throttle, the motor will not activate. It's safer with this feature as well.

As an added benefit, if your bike is locked up in public and someone turns on your display and presses throttle, they will not be able to activate the motor.

The shop that gave me the Bafang motor with this feature is no longer in business. I bought a new motor for a new bike from california-ebike.com and I am looking to replicate this functionality on my new bike.

I have EggRider display. Am I able to achieve this functionality using EggRider programming? Or is this some sort of deeper level firmware update?

I also have the bafang USB programming cable if needed.

Thank you!

I think this may be the setting you are looking for!

"Then come the links to two must read articles on the nuances of BBSxx programming delivered from the hard hitting pen of Karl Gesslein on his e-bike blog. Read Karl's words very carefully. There are some hidden nuggets in there like his warning about the "Time of Stop" parameter where he says, "I strongly recommend setting this to 5, especially if you want to use the PAS system without using e-brakes." Setting this higher (which is typical) can unexpectedly hurl you into traffic or into a tree if you are in the backcountry. I actually like to set this to 10 or 12 as I occasionally don’t down shift when I should and don’t want the motor to stop from timing out at slow cadences. Note: Stefan Penov renamed this 'Stop Delay' which makes more sense."

This may be helpful, programming profiles...

Attachments

• Profile Comparisons.xlsx
    16.6 KB · Views: 111
Back