• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Balance lead, 5 wires on a 6s pack?

So i buy a electric skateboard and it needs a new battery, 6 groups of 4 18650s and measures 24v ish. The connector for the balance leads has 4 red wires a black wire and 2 blue wires which both are epoxied into a temperature probe.
I want to use my rc 6s 5ah lipo bricks but they have 7 wire balance leads.
Skateboard was a nearly new cheap benchwheel, but i cant understand how the bms must work and how to wire it to a 7 wire balance lead. Never seen a balance lead with fewer leads than cell s number.
Any ideas guys? My guess is the bms just manages the middle 4 groups of cells but i don't want to suck it and see for obvious reasons.
Thanks in advance

6s requires 7 wires. The formula is s + 1 = n (where s is series and n is wire count) since you always need a ground wire. starting with the singular cell, you need + and -. Each cell you add in series adds another wire since the last negative is the next positive in a series connection.

Reading further into the confusion: Are you sure those are balance wires? and are you also sure it's 6S 4P? got pics?

Some use the main pack + and - wires for the end cells. It should be possible to figure it out by measuring with a voltmeter. Put the meter negative probe on the main battery - and measure every point with the positive probe. If the main + and - pack connections don't come out to the balancing plug, you might need to make an adapter.

Pics coming, yes i reckon the end cells must be controlled through main + - wires. Problem i have is i started this when i was in a rush and pulled out the battery, chopped wires, had dinner, went to solder the new jst plug on and was like, oh?
So im not sure which balance lead went where as i trimmed the balance leads to be all the same length immediately after cutting them off pack.
Picture file size issues right now, hopefully have pics up by tonight.
Thanks

Using a voltmeter, you can verify you have them in the correct order. Start at cell 1 and you should see ~4v. Each cell will add another 4v or so.

http://scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/lipo.html

Thanks guys sorry for delay, been hair straight back busy. Pics

Attachments

• IMG_20170629_211021_crop_651x494.jpg
    IMG_20170629_211021_crop_651x494.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 981
  • IMG_20170629_211134_crop_958x304.jpg
    IMG_20170629_211134_crop_958x304.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 799
Back