• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Bargain wheel set with nexus 8 speed & hub motor

Motor manufacture in China is a bit strange. There's a lot of sharing of components and technology, which means that you can get identical looking motors from different manufacturers. The first letters in the long ID stamped on the motor that on your one begins with B identifies the maker, but I don't know how to decode them. Some OEMs don't want the motor manufacturer's logo on their motors, so it's not unusual to see the same Bafang motors with and without 8Fun written on them.

You need to think about the speed and power you want from the motor before deciding on the battery. The cheaper 8.8aH bottle batteries are OK for low power. You can get bottle batteries with Samsung ICR18650-22P cells, which are a lot better, but not so easy to find. Bottle batteries make a very neat installation, especially if you get the type with integrated controller in the base. 12S lipos will get you about 20% more speed, and current will never be a problem. 5000mAH will get you at least 12 miles of reasonably hilly terrain. It's always best to have more lipo than you need because you want to keep clear of the low-voltage cliff.

Got my stuff working last week.

It ran only about 2 minutes with a conhis motor controller w/lcd. Unable to find the source of the problem i tried a con62 controller. Worked better, but was cutting out. I started suspecting the hall wiring since i could get it to work longer by pushing the wires into the axle.

I tried to open the motor, but i can not figure how to pull the stator out. To get to the clutch and gears is really easy, but after that, the bearings seem press fit on the shaft.

I reassembled it anyways and gave it a spin. Worked fine?!? Did a couple of ups and downs in the street. At 52V i get quite good acceleration to 30km/h and then it takes ages to climb up to 41km/h.

Still i'm quite happy with it! For reliability reasons, i ordered a sensorless lyen controller. I am just puzzeled as to wa amps limits i should program for phase and battery current. I must not forget it is officially just a 220w machine with nylon gears...

Any comments on current limits?

TKs!

I bought Nexus3 wheel few weeks ago, and it lost spokes like crazy.
Two days ago changed original alu rim to steel rim, problem solved. All spokes stay tight and nice.
Now i got new Nexus3 with 32mm wide steel rim. Perfect combination for E-bike.

Eskimo said:
Two days ago changed original alu rim to steel rim, problem solved. All spokes stay tight and nice.

Northern Europe has some good quality steel and stainless steel rims available. The steel bicycle rims on the USA market are trash, designed only to be much cheaper than the cheapest aluminum rims.

fabiograssi said:
Thinking use this controller paired with this motor, what do you think?

http://www.bmsbattery.com/controller/546-s06-250w-imitation-torque-square-wave-controller.html
Give it a try and let us know the results. It should wirk OK, and you can get a nice LCD display.

Chalo said:
Eskimo said:

Northern Europe has some good quality steel and stainless steel rims available. The steel bicycle rims on the USA market are trash, designed only to be much cheaper than the cheapest aluminum rims.

OK. I took this rim from my old nineties MTB. This is really tough rim, been riding with this allready years and years. That alu rim weighed 505 grams.
This steel rim weighs 1117 grams. It"s chromed, which works well with cruiser style, and rear coaster brake. That alu rim flexed like hell with all-up 134kg/40 km/h tops, and i noticed that nipple holes grew larger and larger very fast, no matter how tight spokes. After around 300km nipple holes were about 2mm wider than nipples. Whole thing was like a living organism, some ultra-cheapo italian thing.
Now with this steel rim no any problems whatsoever, spoke tensions stay and bike feels rock solid, like it was with MTB too.

Here are my results with this motor:

Mounted on a cromo cyclocross, w/ a 16s 10ah lifepo4 battery and a 6 fet lyen controller
with 9a battery current limit, 30a phase current limit
Slow acceleration, but climbs up to 38km/h. With some pedaling it cruises at 41. Long trip, mostly flat, at 35km/h, indicates a 13wh/km drain.

With 500w of battery power, the controller is around 50*c and the motor is about 40*c.

I'm quite happy and the nexus hub works great, apart from the crappy roaller brake. Now, if i could find a way to have more than 3 levels of PAS...

Back